Lego S@H Christmas Freebie 'Cancelled'?

Stud-u-like

Guest eightbrick

Why don't you just wait and see what's in the box?

Lol... it takes us 3 pages of arguments to come to this simple, straightforward, and genius solution.

Just came back from Lego store, pretty disappointing day I have to say.

First, they didn't let me buy the Crawler LE, even though they have 3-4 on the shelf that no one wants.  I was at the store for 2 hrs doing PaB, and not a single person that I noiced even look at the box when walk by.

Secondly, I attempted to purchase the VW Camper and Winter Market set in 2 separate transactions, so was hoping to get two promo gifts.  However, the casher refused to hand me two promo gifts telling me that there is a one gift per household policy.

I haven't tried LEGO Shop at Home yet, but later today I will order a FB and GE in separate transactions to see if I get any luck.

Just came back from Lego store, pretty disappointing day I have to say.

First, they didn't let me buy the Crawler LE, even though they have 3-4 on the shelf that no one wants.  I was at the store for 2 hrs doing PaB, and not a single person that I noiced even look at the box when walk by.

Secondly, I attempted to purchase the VW Camper and Winter Market set in 2 separate transactions, so was hoping to get two promo gifts.  However, the casher refused to hand me two promo gifts telling me that there is a one gift per household policy.

I haven't tried LEGO Shop at Home yet, but later today I will order a FB and GE in separate transactions to see if I get any luck.

That is really strange. How can they have the right to deny buy a Lego set. That does not look like TLG would do something like that. Maybe it was the local manager.

1st part - What?  Why wouldn't they let you!?!?!

2nd part - Also, I never ask them to give me two.  I make one purchase as inconspicuous as possible....go do the rest of my shopping and come back again later and go when someone else is at the register....NEVER had a problem.  (granted Ive only done it three times.)  (Of course you have to take your bag to your car....u might wanna lose your jacket too.  If they ever asked if i was just in there an hour ago...I'd say no.

• Like 1

2nd part - Also, I never ask them to give me two.  I make one purchase as inconspicuous as possible....go do the rest of my shopping and come back again later and go when someone else is at the register....NEVER had a problem.  (granted Ive only done it three times.)  (Of course you have to take your bag to your car....u might wanna lose your jacket too.  If they ever asked if i was just in there an hour ago...I'd say no.

Great strategy. It works sometimes for me when I want a lot of the freebies. Sometimes I come back the next day.

Because the cashier said I have already puchased one Crawler LE from this store before, which I did a while back.  The one per a household policy is being enforced at this store I guess.

For the promo gift, I should have used your suggestion, but I didn't.  Oh well, I think I will return the Winter Market set tomorrow and make another purchase later.   

Funny thing is I did the exact same thing (buying Crawler and getting two promo gifts) at the other Lego store early this week and everything worked out very smoothly.  Maybe it's really up to the cashier's mood.

Because the cashier said I have already puchased one Crawler LE from this store before, which I did a while back.  The one per a household policy is being enforced at this store I guess.

For the promo gift, I should have used your suggestion, but I didn't.  Oh well, I think I will return the Winter Market set tomorrow and make another purchase later.   

Funny thing is I did the exact same thing (buying Crawler and getting two promo gifts) at the other Lego store early this week and everything worked out very smoothly.  Maybe it's really up to the cashier's mood.

OMG what a B#$%^.  For that kinda profit I'd make a neighbor or friend go and grab it...get the freebie and the crawler. 

That's crazy to me that they would rather just have four of them sit there than sell one...just stupid...stupid..stupid...stupid...Where is this store at?  Near DC, please?

EDIT  That's crazy that they remember you and exactly what you purchased.  You must have tried to buy more than one then...made a scene at some point so they always remember you...or must be really really really ugly...:)    (I'm kidding of course.)

Oh well, I knew about the one Crawler LE per household policy but I still wanted to give it a try.  But come on, if I was there for 2 hrs and no one wants it (or even looks at it), then I just don't see why there would be an issue selling it to me.  I just don't understand.

It's in Stoneridge Mall, California.  I have heard some BPers were able to grab at least 2-3 Crawlers each day easily from the San Mateo store the last few days, which is about 30 mins away from this store.  

OK anyways, just ordered FB and GE from LEGO Shop at Home  in two transactions, hopefully I get two Xmas gifts.

Whether TLG has the ability to cancel promos anytime they want or whatever is one thing, but it's bad business ethics to wait until after "checkout" is complete to tell you they've done so. I wouldn't mind if it was a case of them removing it from your cart before you checked out, but dropping it from your order after you've paid seems pretty deceptive to me. If they are out, they need to communicate that or drop all indication of the promo from the site, not cancel the order after you pay.

I was going to say something along the same thing. I ordered the HH tonight and the promo showed up on my email confirmation. I'm not a big investor but would like the

Oh well, I knew about the one Crawler LE per household policy but I still wanted to give it a try.  But come on, if I was there for 2 hrs and no one wants it (or even looks at it), then I just don't see why there would be an issue selling it to me.  I just don't understand.

It's in Stoneridge Mall, California.  I have heard some BPers were able to grab at least 2-3 Crawlers each day easily from the San Mateo store the last few days, which is about 30 mins away from this store.  

OK anyways, just ordered FB and GE from LEGO Shop at Home  in two transactions, hopefully I get two Xmas gifts.

You should tell your lego store manager that hes a moron .. the rule is limit 2 per household. Anyways just buy 2 from the morning shift manager and come back when the evening manager is on that way you can get 4 crawlers per day. Just rinse repeat call the store ahead of time and see if another manager is on that hasnt sold to you and buy 2 more ... I was able to get 16 between me and a few friends last 2 days. Sad that I know know all the managers names at all my local lego stores :(

I guess it all depends on the cashier. At some store they will allow it and at some they won't. You could always send some else to buy the item for you.

This is a site for investors AND collectors. When you're investing in something you hope to get the best deal possible when you purchase an item and for many of the exclusives it means ordering from LEGO Shop at Home; and we all know when ordering through LEGO Shop at Home that often means paying retail. An investor pays retail with the hopes that the polybag can be resold to recoup some of your initial cost. As a collector when TLG offers a special promo along with your order or double VIP points or both you are more likely to place your order at that time. Especially when that promo is something you really want.

I am more of a collector than an investor. I personally only buy exclusives and "hard to find" from LEGO Shop at Home and only when when there is a promo I want, like Jor-El or the holiday sets, because those are items I want for my personal collection and it makes sense. Other than that I can get most other sets discounted by other realtors. If TLG runs out of a promo set or they exercise their rights to refuse it to me for some reason then I wait on that big purchase and order the promo on eBay. Luckily I haven't had them cancel a freebie on me..

We all know buying directly from TLG can be frustrating with the lack of discounts and the vast number of exclusions when they do have them. The promo takes the sting out of paying the high prices.

Does that mean I need to reevaluate why I purchase LEGO? No. Does it mean I'm a bit of a cheapskate? You bet!

Stud-U-Like I'm sorry they canceled your freebie, that sucks. Hopefully you can get the next one!

I  don't think you are a cheapskate. It is what TLG relies on to boost their sales. Little sweeteners is what ropes us all in. Either as people looking to sell the promos on for a quick few bucks or as collectors to get a hard to get collectable. Either way don't feel bad. TLG has us all exactly where they want us. They are the ones getting rich. How can you feel like a cheapskate when they are rolling in the billions. Rest easy you're good.

I placed an order for a camper van on October 18th and just noticed the Christmas giveaway set has been cancelled off the order.  How rude. I hope they haven't run out already.

I also placed an order on the same date. But my order is still "In Process". I wonder if it's better to wait til one order is "Shipped" before placing another qualifying order. Perhaps too many qualifying orders at the same time raises the alarm. *shrugs*

If worse comes to worse and Lego does end up implementing a "one promo per household" rule in all cases, just be prepared to adapt and move on. If there's one thing 16 years of selling on eBay has taught me, it's how to deal with change.  :rofl:

If they do that kind of limiting, they're basically just making those exclusives even more valuable, and at the end of the day all we as sellers end up doing is passing along our additional expense (in this case, not getting as many of the promos to resell to mitigate the cost of our other purchases) to our own customers down the line.

What's annoying, and I'm as tetchy about it as anyone, is to be in this current state of flux where they seem to be trying to play the "oh, our crystal ball says you're a leper - I mean reseller!, GOTCHA!" game or they're just incompetent at implementing and standardizing a new policy, or both.

Presumably they will get that ironed out and start applying the same algorithm to everyone and we'll all at least know or be able to make better guesses at what the "real limits" are, and from there we decide what to buy, when to buy, how to buy, how many hoops we want to jump through to game the system, and how much we have to increase our prices to cover our cost of goods sold.

• Like 2

One thing I noticed is that on the October calendar there is no stated limitation on promo. On the November calendar, however, it explicitly states "limit one per person" for the promo. I think its going to be alot harder to get multiples for promo no.2.

Actually, they did say "One free set per household" in the back page of October calendar.  The fine print is pretty tiny that you might need a magnifier to be able to see it.

Actually, they did say "One free set per household" in the back page of October calendar.  The fine print is pretty tiny that you might need a magnifier to be able to see it.

Ah gotcha. I dont have a hard copy. Was looking online.

Yeah, and the 4-day thing is an obstacle to.

Is it weird that I kind of like the challenge???

• Like 1

Is it weird that I kind of like the challenge???

I'd be happy if I manage to get two, anything above would be bonus. One for myself and one for invest. I'm trying to keep my big purchases in October anyway for the 2x VIP points instead of saving them til November which may or may not get me the bonus set. Just keeping couple of 99$ bundles for November.

That is just absolutely hilarious.  That's just short of going to Home Depot to pick up an army of day workers.  Although it's a smooth operation but it sounds like it takes too much work.  People will do anything for crack, nevermind Lego.  I just honey badger it walk in and grab 2.  Last month, I tried taking all 4 on the shelf and he told me my brother and nephew will have to come in for the other 2.  He did held those for me so I went back and grabbed them the next day.