Are you guys having luck selling sets on CL?

Lateral-G

Not sure what it is but I list sets I have for sale on CL and no one bites......no one.

Granted, I'm not giving them away or charging exorbitant prices either. I'm asking what I think is fair market value as based of ebay completed listings.

Yet not even one response. Not even one offer to haggle on price.

very strange.

The guy I'm buying from has had some luck. I paid $100 for the old Batman vs Two-Face chase (used). Thought that was fair. However he wants the same amount for the old Batman vs Killer Croc set (used) and that's 4 times its original price so no sale.

I'm in Toronto and many of the sets available now have been listed since August. If this is what goes on in Canada's largest city and the 3rd largest city in North America, then my sense is few people use Craigslist for lego selling and buying.

CL is really well positioned for sellers to liquidate their inventory quickly and cheaply.  With CL, your market is small - generally it's only folks in your area - that tend to be bargain shoppers.  Buyers willing to pay retail can do so from the comfort of their own couch on eBay, Amazon, or even BrickLink and have it shipped to their door.  CL buyers are the ones who will trade convenience for price, and are typically looking for BIG discounts accordingly.

• Like 1

Ummm, yeah......I'm not answeing employent ads as a ranch hand on a remote farm.

I've been buying and selling on CL for a few years now so I'm aware of potential issues. I realy don't think I need to worry about someone murdering me for a few lego sets. I typically meet buyers/sellers at public places and your spidey sense typically goes off if there's not something right within the first few email replies to your ad. Besides I'm packing anyway and if someone wants to try something stupid I'm more than happy to 'decompress' them. One less trashy in the world.

But thanks for the warning.

• Like 1

I usually list the same sets I offer on eBay on Craigslist at the same time. If someone bites on Craigslist then I remove the eBay listing to save on fees. I list the items at fair market value on Craigslist, and maybe a little bit higher on eBay. I have only sold one set on Craigslist in the past six months. It was a ninjago set and the buyer was a mom who needed a last minute birthday gift. Why she just didn't go to a store to buy one vs meeting a stranger in a parking lot is beyond me, but whatever. I was happy to make the sale, and saved a little over $10 in fees. I only had to drive about a mile to meet her, so it was a good experience overall. 99% of my sales are on eBay. I wish it was more like 50-60% so I could save more on fees. Craigslist buyers are just looking for the mega deal though, and to be honest, most are unknowledgable about the market price of retired lego, so they see the price tag (which is fair), and they don't even make an offer.

I've sold some but no longer try.  Most people expect deals on craigslist so fmv is irrelevant.  A person would just as soon buy from ebay for convenience sake and buyer confidence.  I would.

I would use ebay too but I'm sick of the fees and buyers NOT reading or abiding by the terms on my auctions.

ive sold two sets through craigslist and both times the buyer haggled and I ended up selling below BP prices. CL is definitely a place for bargain hunters. ive been seeing a lot more ads for Lego in my area but most are sitting there. great deals get snapped up within 5 minutes of posting.

All depends on your market. Mine is worthless here.

However, I love this. Moving things on Ebay is not too hard - you just have to give in on price a little and profit. The thing is, when someone else psots Legos, I wait for them to sit for a couple of weeks and then make an offer. I have scored some sweet deals this way.

Guest TabbyBoy

All depends on your market. Mine is worthless here.

However, I love this. Moving things on Ebay is not too hard - you just have to give in on price a little and profit. The thing is, when someone else psots Legos, I wait for them to sit for a couple of weeks and then make an offer. I have scored some sweet deals this way.

I refine my eBay search to "Ending Soonest" and then I make an offer on the last day of a BIN listing hoping they'll be desperate to let it go for a song by then.

I have had luck trading sets on CL. I traded some sealed sets like MMV and GE for some large Harry Potter sets with success. I took the risk since the sets I received were used.

I had a lot of response when I listed all the sets I wanted to trade and what I wanted in return. Took no cash to the trades and so far so good.

Ive struggled selling on craigs list, everyone wants things for dirt cheap garage sale prices. They should just be thankful to find a hard to find set for 20% less than they would find it on ebay, which is fair as their are no fees, shipping or taxes, but no they all want a $100+ dollar set for like $10.... *sigh*

From a buyer's point of view, there is the gas and time that a buyer pays that a seller never takes into consideration. Who wants take an hour and drive 10+ miles (@ $.50/mile) to buy a single LEGO set if I am saving "only" 20%. Plus there is no real guarantee that the set is complete (is new and sealed really new and sealed?) and no return is ever possible. 

At least with Amazon/eBay, it comes to your door and you can file a complaint/get a return. 

The whole anonymity of craigslist (no one can verify that you are telling the truth, are otherwise top-rated on Amazon/eBay and take care of your sets) and the cost of the time/effort/gas for the buyer means that the buyer is looking for a "great" deal if it's not a hard to find or extremely popular item (e.***. iPhone).

Bottom line: if you want the best price, put in the effort and sell on eBay or Amazon. If you want immediate cash money that comes to your door with no or little effort on your part, then you will have to sell it "cheap" on Craigslist.

• Like 1

From a buyer's point of view, there is the gas and time that a buyer pays that a seller never takes into consideration. Who wants take an hour and drive 10+ miles (@ $.50/mile) to buy a single LEGO set if I am saving "only" 20%. Plus there is no real guarantee that the set is complete (is new and sealed really new and sealed?) and no return is ever possible. 

At least with Amazon/eBay, it comes to your door and you can file a complaint/get a return. 

The whole anonymity of craigslist (no one can verify that you are telling the truth, are otherwise top-rated on Amazon/eBay and take care of your sets) and the cost of the time/effort/gas for the buyer means that the buyer is looking for a "great" deal if it's not a hard to find or extremely popular item (e.***. iPhone).

Bottom line: if you want the best price, put in the effort and sell on eBay or Amazon. If you want immediate cash money that comes to your door with no or little effort on your part, then you will have to sell it "cheap" on Craigslist.

And the seller doesn't have to travel either or make an effort? You as a buyer always have the choice not to buy the item if it's too inconvienent for you.

Sorry but your logic is flawed.

And the seller doesn't have to travel either or make an effort? You as a buyer always have the choice not to buy the item if it's too inconvienent for you.

Um, aren't you saying that no one has replied to your listings and you are interested in perhaps finding out why?

Wouldn't it be logical to assume that the reason for NO responses is that ALL of the potential buyers have determined that it's too inconvenient or costing them too much in terms of their convenience/distance/time/effort/gas along with your asking price?

Or perhaps you are offering an unpopular item? If you have an unpopular item to sell, what do you do? I would logically assume lower the price until someone is interested. I would drive very far for a $300 Taj Mahal but not anywhere for a $50 Forest Police Station that I could pay $8 more for from Amazon.

I have bought many Craigslist listings by going directly to the owner's house because that is what they wanted (but these are listings in "good" areas). On the flip side, I don't respond to Craiglist listings that are in "bad" areas no matter how good the price, so maybe you are in a "bad" area.

As a test, have you tried pricing a listing at half what you are currently asking and seeing if you get any responses? Since it's Craigslist, you don't have to actually go through with it.

Actually your logic is flawed. The seller has to travel and make an effort on either Craigslist or ebay, unless he lives on top of the post office. The buyer doesn't have to travel for ebay but does for Craigslist.

• 1 year later...

No luck on Craigslist. I posted a 7965 millennium falcon I'm from reno Nevada. I post it yesterday 9/28/15 around 1:30pm. Nothing no calls.  My price 150.00.  That's retail including tax. It's a retired set. If someone calls me I'm willing to go down to 130.00. I have four more of these sets, I'm running out of space I have a room full of Legos. 

I posted an ad with a decent number of used sets. Had somebody who's also on these forums from time to time picking up a used set on the cheap for building (so prices are good...). The other 4-5 inquiries have generally been to confirm it's as described and I never hear back. One asked if it included the box, which I didn't mention in the ad, I told him that I do, in fact, have the box, and crickets. One guy texted, called, haggled, said he'd buy and I never heard back.

Edited by Pedilego

I will usually set up a listing around Christmas time, but otherwise, it's mainly crickets.  People on CL are looking for deals 99% of the time, I know I am.  I see the same lego listings on CL for months because they are usually trying to sell clearance fodder for full price.  Good idea, but not the right demographic.  My listings usually consist of sets that are retired, but I don't think I'm going to make a ton on Ebay due to the fees, so if I can save a few bucks and deal locally, I will.  Medium size sets in that $30 range seem to do well.  I don't think I'd have much luck in this area of the country flipping SSD's on Craigslist.

I recently ran into the same thing - I posted a single ad on Craigslist with about 10 or more used sets including Ferris Wheel, Mixer, T1, Simpsons House and Kwik-E-Mart, etc. listed with individual prices and heard nothing.  About a week later I listed the same sets at roughly the same prices as individual listings and sold all the sets except one within 5 days or so.  Not sure if this is normal but thought I would share in case that helps you out at all....

CL can be a good place to unload some sets but it can also be a nightmare. Depends on your area I suppose. I get emails quite often but it is mostly reseller scum offering half of what MSPR was on a retired seal set. The times I have sold it was to mostly middle-class parents or middle aged collectors. I even actually got an email from an Art Museum in Michigan asking if I could ship my used Haunted House. You will get some caveman replies too. Be patient, don't respond to morons, and don't assume everyone is a moron when they contact you.