What do you all do about Sob Story Ebay Offers?

DoNotInsertIntoMouth

I am curious how others handle this.

Basically, this is when someone sends you a (usually low) offer for an item with a message about their family or how they want it for their kids and have no money, etc.

I wanted to see if any of you ever check it out, help them out, just ignore them, etc. Call it a social experiment.

I am heartless and respond, "Thank you for your interest, but this is our best price at this time."

I only donate to charities that I can research, or to individuals that I know personally or someone I know and trust can vouch for (i.e, stick $200 in the mailbox of a struggling single Mom at our church, etc.)

There are too many scammers out there and while I love to give, I don't like to feed scammers.

I just ignore them.  If you have a OBO listing it might even help...It does show visitors how many offers you have had.  I think this helps bidders know the item is in demand and that you won't take BS offers... so others don't make them.   Just a thought...

Even if it isn't a a OBO listing I just ignore...life is too short to sweat the small things.

I am heartless and respond, "Thank you for your interest, but this is our best price at this time."

I only donate to charities that I can research, or to individuals that I know personally or someone I know and trust can vouch for (i.e, stick $200 in the mailbox of a struggling single Mom at our church, etc.)

There are too many scammers out there and while I love to give, I don't like to feed scammers.

This, unless I'm willing to accept their offer. Once in a while people do actually offer reasonable prices for things.

This is strange. If you can't afford something, don't buy it.

Lego is for people with money. Go play with a cardboard box or something. I know I had loads of fun with boxes in my childhood.

This is so true, Lego is for people with money, that is the reason why my personal collecion is just 2 minifigures at the moment.

On Craig's list, a person emailed how the don't have much money and there sons birthday is in a week and he loves UCS star wars sets. I just say sorry and tell them how much I paid for the set.

That is one I received the most back when I sold some odds and ends. "Oh, it's my child's or friend's birthday so gimme a deal and be sure to send it by next day shipping which you'll pay for of course!" How bloody ludicrous, like I'm supposed to offer a deal for everybody's birthday. Here's something; everyday is someone's birthday!

Wanna know what I think of people like this? (Hint: It involves a dirty word.)

Click here.

Guest TabbyBoy

Ebay mobile doesn't show the Best Offer option. How weird is that? I sold a few items at BIN prices before receiving any offers, I guess to mobile users.

That may explain why, the more mobile users the better! ;-)

I am curious how others handle this.

Basically, this is when someone sends you a (usually low) offer for an item with a message about their family or how they want it for their kids and have no money, etc.

I wanted to see if any of you ever check it out, help them out, just ignore them, etc. Call it a social experiment.

I say "Thanks for your inquiry!" and politely say no, then cheerily wish them luck and direct them to the auctions where once in a while a bargain can actually be had. Which they know since a lot of the time it's a dishonest dealer trying to work an angle.

(I take it back, I once comped domestic shipping on a minifig after the fact based on a sob story about how the mobile app erroneously listed free shipping and it was the kid's money that was to be used and etc. Because I'm all heart.)

Guest TabbyBoy

If an admin is ready this, can you create an eBay scam/dropshipping forum please.  I've just seen a new SSD listed on eBay for under RRP (item 141067797091) which is ending shortly and this is the latest one where I've reported it to eBay and trolled the seller.  A SSD going for

• 3 weeks later...

Full disclosure:  I am a sucker!

So I listed 5 polybags for $14.50 each.  Its the lowest price.  Did not list with best offer.

I got an email from someone (with over 200 feedback at 100%) asking if I would sell him one for $13.  No story or anything,  Just the request.

I guess I could have just said no, but I didn't.  The absolute last thing I want to spend my time doing is haggling over $1.50.  

My suckerishness aside, my question is about logistics.  Can he now just hit the buy it now button and then I can send him an invoice with the reduced amount? or do I actually have to spend another 3 minutes of my time on this stupid sale and relist it at the reduced price?  Anyone know?

Full disclosure:  I am a sucker!

So I listed 5 polybags for $14.50 each.  Its the lowest price.  Did not list with best offer.

I got an email from someone (with over 200 feedback at 100%) asking if I would sell him one for $13.  No story or anything,  Just the request.

I guess I could have just said no, but I didn't.  The absolute last thing I want to spend my time doing is haggling over $1.50.  

My suckerishness aside, my question is about logistics.  Can he now just hit the buy it now button and then I can send him an invoice with the reduced amount? or do I actually have to spend another 3 minutes of my time on this stupid sale and relist it at the reduced price?  Anyone know?I

If they click on Buy It Now then I believe they would be committed to buying at full price. I believe the correct procedure would be to click on Add To Cart and then click on Request Price similar to what you would do if you were requesting a combined shipping price. Once they do that then you can send them an invoice for the reduced amount. Make sense?