Buying Used Sets that are not "100 % Complete" - Feedback to give?

pat_teeth_hurt

The last 3 ebay purchases I made on used sets - 10185, 10212, and 10213 were listed as 100% complete. However, there were 100 pieces missing in 10185, 10 in 10212 (incl a minifigure), and 20 in 10213. Each of the sellers are working with me in either refunding me a partial amount or providing me with the missing pieces. 2 of the 3 are acknowledging their error (10185, 10212), whereas the other seems to think that they gave me everything - even suggesting that I used the 10231 count instead of the 10213 (btw . . . the 10213 manual was included). Couple questions: 1. Where can I go to easily determine the cost of the missing pieces to make sure the refund is reasonable? 2. What type of feedback should I provide these sellers? I feel like I should give them all neutral since they are remedying the situation, but still made the error - which would not have been caught had I not counted all the pieces. Thanks in advance.

The last 3 ebay purchases I made on used sets - 10185, 10212, and 10213 were listed as 100% complete. However, there were 100 pieces missing in 10185, 10 in 10212 (incl a minifigure), and 20 in 10213. Each of the sellers are working with me in either refunding me a partial amount or providing me with the missing pieces. 2 of the 3 are acknowledging their error (10185, 10212), whereas the other seems to think that they gave me everything - even suggesting that I used the 10231 count instead of the 10213 (btw . . . the 10213 manual was included). Couple questions: 1. Where can I go to easily determine the cost of the missing pieces to make sure the refund is reasonable? 2. What type of feedback should I provide these sellers? I feel like I should give them all neutral since they are remedying the situation, but still made the error - which would not have been caught had I not counted all the pieces. Thanks in advance.

Bricklink.

• Like 1

Something that works for people who buy from me is stating their problem in feedback, and leaving negative feedback, which gets the seller's attention. At that point, the seller is worried about future sales and usually will try to help you and eventually get you to change your feedback.

I'd give the sellers who acknowledge their mistake and work with you to solve it, in a fashion that satisfies you, positive feedback. Just make sure that you note in the feedback that there were some problems. Something like "Pieces missing, but seller sent missing pieces. Great communication." Or something along those lines.

Now if the seller decides not to do anything, give them bad feedback. They deserve it. 

There's nothing I hate more than messaging a seller/buyer and them not replying, so just the fact that he's responding is a good sign!

Good luck, Pat_teeth_hurt!

• Like 1

I posted a similar question the other day about possibly leaving negative feedback. I was looking at it from a pure business perspective I black/white, but everyone who chimed in helped me realize that most sellers on eBay (even experienced ones) are doing it part time and stuff happens - sometimes without control. So while my "business sense" still says to leave negative or neutral feedback if the seller makes a mistake, I think as long as they rectify the problem, then it should be positive.

I actually remember a few months ago, I sold a "100% complete" set and the buyer said there was 1 piece missing. I could've swore I double checked all the pieces, but it was a common piece and I had an extra so I sent it to her - only cost me an envelope and .66 cents. She gave me positive feedback which I appreciated!

• Like 1

I've had this happen about 3 times to me now. In each case I contacted the seller and they usually apologized and sent the missing pieces/parts/instructions. I waited to give feedback or to file a case until I gave the seller a chance to make good. i notified them in my initial contacting email that I would prefer to work it out with them and give them a chance.

So far I haven't had any issues and the sellers I've dealt with have been very nice. I understand that things happen and if you give them to opportunity to make things good they will 99.9% of the time.

• Like 1

I posted a similar question the other day about possibly leaving negative feedback. I was looking at it from a pure business perspective I black/white, but everyone who chimed in helped me realize that most sellers on eBay (even experienced ones) are doing it part time and stuff happens - sometimes without control. So while my "business sense" still says to leave negative or neutral feedback if the seller makes a mistake, I think as long as they rectify the problem, then it should be positive.

I actually remember a few months ago, I sold a "100% complete" set and the buyer said there was 1 piece missing. I could've swore I double checked all the pieces, but it was a common piece and I had an extra so I sent it to her - only cost me an envelope and .66 cents. She gave me positive feedback which I appreciated!

I have done the same, more than one! Doh! Those 1980s instructions are harder than today's. Kids have never had it so good ;)

But it's easy to do, especially if you are building from a bulk lot. The last set I did it on, I missed the mini figs flippers.

• Like 1

For the sellers who did realize their error and tried to help with the problem, I would leave neutral feedback. They made a mistake when they listed the set, but then they solved the problem.

• Like 1

I have one happening right now - except it was a new set - one bag was open and a few pieces or missing. She said she would refund me the money, but is still nmot really being very apologetic. She also packaged the set about the worst I have ever seen in my life. 

I usually only leave negative in a very very bad situation. She will probably get neutral.

• Like 1

I just had a very similar thing happen.  I bought a used 7020 and the seller stated 3 missing parts and 1 replacement part.  I just got done inventorying the set and I found another piece missing and 2 more substitute parts.  The 2 substitute parts are 2 large technic bricks 1x14.  He substituted 2 different color 1x12 technic bricks. If this was you, would you contact the seller and let him know or just let it slide?  I will have to add the items to my ever growing bricklink wantlist.

• Like 1

That sucks that the sets don't come complete.  Hopefully the sellers make good.  I only leave negative feedback if the sellers don't make good on false or misguided representation on an auction.  If both parties find the arrangement agreeable then positive feedback is the logical conclusion for myself.

Thanks all for the advice. General consensus is to leave positive feedback still if in the end, I get what I bought. So I'll change my neutral mentality to a positive one.

Another question though I didn't realize was part of the feedback: How many stars would you give for this one?

"How accurate was the item description?"