Selling through Amazon FBA

appleseed1967

11 minutes ago, cladner said:

i guess i would need to find out what the price cutoff is.  i am loathe to start sending out free lego to amazon customers.  i have not been scammed either - just seems like this policy when applied to expensive items is not going to work out well.  are they really  going to send a replacement town hall or grand emporium?

Yes, but then they have to send back the original.  If they don't send it back, you get reimbursed after a certain amount of time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Yep, there are scammers on FBM and I am afraid there will be more of them thanks to this policy

if you thought scammer sending you back one box of rocks for the item you sent was bad, just wait till they send you back 1 box of rocks for two of your items or screw you not on one but two returnless items ..lol.. Gonna need a bigger tube of Prep-H

• Like 2

I stopped being lazy and finally bought a 3000 pack of avery 30 up labels for $20 and resolved to label myself. So I slapped the labels on the sides of the boxes thinking it made no difference but now I'm reading that they are supposed to cover the manufacturers upc. Does anyone have any experience with this, is Amazon strict - I already labeled 100 boxes. They are not easy to peel off.

Debating whether its better to send as is or to add a second label.

1 minute ago, Bricklectic said:

I stopped being lazy and finally bought a 3000 pack of avery 30 up labels for $20 and resolved to label myself. So I slapped the labels on the sides of the boxes thinking it made no difference but now I'm reading that they are supposed to cover the manufacturers upc. Does anyone have any experience with this, is Amazon strict - I already labeled 100 boxes. They are not easy to peel off.

Have you tried a hairdryer yet?  

7 minutes ago, Bricklectic said:

You definitely need to cover the UPC. But, to the other comment above, you can use a hairdryer or, even better, a heat gun to get them off.

Also, once you get tired of the Avery labels in your normal printer, you'll be much happier with a label printer. There are plenty out there, but I use the Dymo 450 Turbo. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bricklectic said:

Use a blank label and cover the UPC. You don't want someone/something at Amazon to accidentally scan the wrong label/code. That would mean what you sent in doesn't match what was supposed to be received and you will probably end up in inventory reconciliation hell with Seller Support, especially for those items where Amazon won't simply accept the manufacturer UPC and wanted you to use an Amazon code.

Edited by grackleflint
  • Like 1

Just now, skinsfan0521 said:

You definitely need to cover the UPC. But, to the other comment above, you can use a hairdryer or, even better, a heat gun to get them off.

Also, once you get tired of the Avery labels in your normal printer, you'll be much happier with a label printer. There are plenty out there, but I use the Dymo 450 Turbo. 

Thanks. I dont have a hairdryer. Is it really need to remove the old labels. I was hoping to just slap a second FBA label over the UPC.

I just love having seasonal items being taken off line while they transfer them to another warehouse.  Was just checking inventory and thought they all sold out, but nope.  Seems to be happening more and more.  I actually sent my inventory in earlier this year to account for it.  So frustrating.

I just love having seasonal items being taken off line while they transfer them to another warehouse.  Was just checking inventory and thought they all sold out, but nope.  Seems to be happening more and more.  I actually sent my inventory in earlier this year to account for it.  So frustrating.

Yeah, thought I’d sold all my Easter polybags only to find a few stuck in FC transfer.

Any recourse with Amazon if the customer returns an order because they slapped a shipping label straight on the LEGO set? Set is sealed back in my inventory with a large part of the front artwork ripped off, and parts of a shipping label showing. Or is this "cost of business"?

I know I can (and will) sell this on EBay or BL as a damaged box set, but that takes a big chunk out of my profit (it was a Frozen set that is uniquely profitable on Amazon).

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Any recourse with Amazon if the customer returns an order because they slapped a shipping label straight on the LEGO set? Set is sealed back in my inventory with a large part of the front artwork ripped off, and parts of a shipping label showing. Or is this "cost of business"?

I know I can (and will) sell this on EBay or BL as a damaged box set, but that takes a big chunk out of my profit (it was a Frozen set that is uniquely profitable on Amazon).

I posted this a couple weeks ago here.  It's part of Amazon's easy return.  They can drop off their return without a box at any UPS store and its sent back without a box if possible.  Then Amazon gets it, cuts out the label, then ships it back to you.  Fun.

On 2/18/2021 at 9:03 PM, gmpirate said:

Love the new Amazon returns.  So, easy!  No box necessary!  Amazon then cuts out the shipping label and sends back to me.  Burrows set was still brand new and sealed too.

image.jpg

• Like 2

I guess this is not technically the correct thread for this but wasnt sure where to post.. 

I see this on many sets but here is one example. People selling sets in large quantities  at prices not high enough to clear a profit The london bus for example i dont think was ever on sale lower than 99$. So lets assume no tax paid. Basis is 99$. 

image.png.954f59e566432130f820fd9cec49e160.png

Amazon fees are 15% or so so thats about 20$. Add shipping of around $10 for such a large box.. and were at $2.95 profit? And thats not factoring in cost of boxes, returns, and likely higher shipping costs to some customers. I've seen this on many sets, usually it can make sense when considering many sets are picked up on clearance of 50% or even more sometimes. However the london bus i dont believe has ever been clearanced. 

I guess this is not technically the correct thread for this but wasnt sure where to post.. 
I see this on many sets but here is one example. People selling sets in large quantities  at prices not high enough to clear a profit The london bus for example i dont think was ever on sale lower than 99$. So lets assume no tax paid. Basis is 99$. 
http://bp-forum.s3.amazonaws.com/monthly_2021_03/image.png.954f59e566432130f820fd9cec49e160.png

Amazon fees are 15% or so so thats about 20$. Add shipping of around $10 for such a large box.. and were at $2.95 profit? And thats not factoring in cost of boxes, returns, and likely higher shipping costs to some customers. I've seen this on many sets, usually it can make sense when considering many sets are picked up on clearance of 50% or even more sometimes. However the london bus i dont believe has ever been clearanced. 
They could be buying wholesale from LEGO. If that allowed them to get these in largr quantities at (let's say) 30% off, and they can sell through them fast at a relatively low price, that would be an acceptable business model for many.
  • Like 1

It's curious for sure.  Tie Fighter Helmet 75274 is commonly sold at RRP of 59.99.  As I'm typing right now its not even searchable on Amazon right now however . . .

It was always my understanding that Lego was only really interested in selling to the big guys.  Independents only received common sets at not so favorable discounts and they were excluded all together from the exclusive, HTF type sets.  So how would an independent be able to sell Tie Fighter Helmet that is exclusive to only Lego & Target at RRP??  Throw in GWP's that people are gaining and it still doesn't make sense.  During the holidays there were merchants that were selling this set for RRP when it was going for over $100.  Why?

The only thing I can gather is that you build up a toy business that has enough volume that makes Lego not so significant, have some type of B&M presence, and somehow have enough sales volume to continually make large purchases from Lego.  Still, no matter how you slice it, the volume will pale in comparison to Target, Walmart, Best Buy, CVS, etc.

7 minutes ago, redcell said:

They could also be selling at break even or slight loss for the cash flow.

I get this and have done it, but the volume some of these guys are selling off seems really out of wack for this.

11 minutes ago, redcell said:

Or becausd it hasn't popped like they had hoped.

This doesn't jive with my Tie Fighter Helmet example.  That was "popping" and yet they were still selling at RRP.

34 minutes ago, Bricklectic said:

image.png.954f59e566432130f820fd9cec49e160.png

Never assume what the seller’s buy in is . That would be my advice . 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

Never assume what the seller’s buy in is . That would be my advice . 

Yes. essentially thats my question. 

Without getting into off the back of the truck type sources or inside connections to mangers etc.. it is somewhat baffling to me

Although, I realize for sure I missed one thing - additional 5% off with walmart store card so buy in at 95$. With a shipping discount that can make sense if the business model is very low margin and high volume.

I guess it's possible I am missing other discounting techniques, perhaps high volume GC's bought at discount or credit card rebates of some sort