I am buying this tomorrow. Would you bite as well?

terrymc4677

Hello all,

I have a meeting set up tomorrow to purchase the following four set lot...

Vaders tie fighter $20

The burrow $45

Hogwarts castle $100

Hogwarts add on $35

Total for the lot is $200. All are complete with all figs. I dont have the set numbers but all are the most current releases. None have boxes, and only the two hogwarts sets have their instructions. The seller has pics of all four sets and they look good. This is my first Craigslist purchase intended for resale. Looking at brickpicker used data, this appears pretty solid. Am I missing anything here? Thank you for your advice and opinions.

-terry

It's not too bad, but could be better---I'd still do it though. I'm comparing to a CL purchase I made earlier this summer of Hogwart's Castle, Hogwarts, Burrow, Hagrid's Hut, and Quidditch Match---w/ all boxes, mifigs, and instructions for 120. I'm sure others have found better and worse deals out there. You can Bricklink Burrow instructions for a few bucks though. Go for it!

• Like 1

yes and yes, and then two more yes'.

You just posted this to gloat didn't you?!?!

Lol...no. I really would like some opinions from the Craigslist savvy pickers. I only buy and sell MIB sets, so this is my first used lot intended for resale. Looking at brickpicker values and ebay sales, it almost feels to good to be true, which is why I hope I am not overlooking anything. Thanks for the positive reinforcement!

Guest eightbrick

Another question similar to terry's. Should I grab a queen Ann's revenge for $150 or could I do better with another set?

New or used?

Lol...no. I really would like some opinions from the Craigslist savvy pickers. I only buy and sell MIB sets, so this is my first used lot intended for resale. Looking at brickpicker values and ebay sales, it almost feels to good to be true, which is why I hope I am not overlooking anything. Thanks for the positive reinforcement!

Yes definitely good deals. I would jump on these in a second. My wife really wants the harry potter sets bad. PM me if you want to quick flip them.

• Like 1

OP: my gut says yes, only because you should be able to sell those fast and make a few bucks. Just make sure all stickers, accessories, etc are there. Search bricklink inventory for each set and write down the most expensive pieces and take it with you, checking for all of them. That way if you do have to find pieces you at least minimize your loss.

QAR for 150 is a good price for a personal collection, not for resale.

• Like 1

Terry, I continue to be jealous of your finds.  Nice job on that Potter lot.  My most recent CL purchase, 7228 Batman I Batwing, has provided some insight to the Used set game (on an aside, FCB has provided me tremendous help on this). 

First, make sure ALL the figs are there, and they are all complete and in good shape.  I had to buy a vintage Batman I fig to complete 7782 set, and that little @sswipe was $20 plus shipping.  I had budgeted $15 - on a set I hope to sell for $120-130, every $5 helps.

Also, to echo tony - make sure all the stickers are either applied (to the correct bricks) and in good shape, or on the sticker sheet.  That same set had really old, beat up stickers (with a few missing), forcing me to buy a sticker chart - another $20 down the crapper.  Make sure your accessories are there as well - the Joker's henchman has 2 guns that were missing, and those things cost $6 combined.

Make sure you use Bricklink to the best of its ability, by using the My Wanted List.  There's a feature called "My Wanted List by Store" that will allow you to source your My Wanted List parts by store, saving tremendously on shipping costs - another underestimated cost I ran into with the Batwing lot.  Shipping by lot will run you a minimum of around $2 per order, so if you have to place 5 orders, you're looking at a minimum of $10, and sometimes a lot more if you're ordering rare pieces from overseas.

Finally, make sure the instructions are there.  The ones you describe shouldn't be that expensive, but they add up with everything else.  Good luck, and great job on the find!  I really enjoy the work that goes into flipping these used lots even though it can be time consuming.

• Like 1

Terry, I continue to be jealous of your finds.  Nice job on that Potter lot.  My most recent CL purchase, 7228 Batman I Batwing, has provided some insight to the Used set game (on an aside, FCB has provided me tremendous help on this). 

First, make sure ALL the figs are there, and they are all complete and in good shape.  I had to buy a vintage Batman I fig to complete 7782 set, and that little @sswipe was $20 plus shipping.  I had budgeted $15 - on a set I hope to sell for $120-130, every $5 helps.

Also, to echo tony - make sure all the stickers are either applied (to the correct bricks) and in good shape, or on the sticker sheet.  That same set had really old, beat up stickers (with a few missing), forcing me to buy a sticker chart - another $20 down the crapper.  Make sure your accessories are there as well - the Joker's henchman has 2 guns that were missing, and those things cost $6 combined.

Make sure you use Bricklink to the best of its ability, by using the My Wanted List.  There's a feature called "My Wanted List by Store" that will allow you to source your My Wanted List parts by store, saving tremendously on shipping costs - another underestimated cost I ran into with the Batwing lot.  Shipping by lot will run you a minimum of around $2 per order, so if you have to place 5 orders, you're looking at a minimum of $10, and sometimes a lot more if you're ordering rare pieces from overseas.

Finally, make sure the instructions are there.  The ones you describe shouldn't be that expensive, but they add up with everything else.  Good luck, and great job on the find!  I really enjoy the work that goes into flipping these used lots even though it can be time consuming.

This post is very helpful, quacs. Thank you for the tips. I will be sure to keep you posted on the results. It sounds like you had to learn these things the hard way, so I appreciate your insight.

OP: my gut says yes, only because you should be able to sell those fast and make a few bucks. Just make sure all stickers, accessories, etc are there. Search bricklink inventory for each set and write down the most expensive pieces and take it with you, checking for all of them. That way if you do have to find pieces you at least minimize your loss.

QAR for 150 is a good price for a personal collection, not for resale.

Very good advice and suggestions. Thank you very much for the response, tony.

I have always remained very shy about dealing in used LEGO.  When I buy a sealed set, I know what I can expect inside of it.  There is nothing worse than acquiring a big bin of used LEGO only to discover upon further inspection that there are teethmarks, paint stains, and funny smells that a seller forgot to describe.  Lol.

The deal the OP mentioned sounds like a good enough one, but it all comes down to your personal style of selling/investing.  To me, it seems like a lot of time spent verifying contents, etc.  There are only so many hours in a day, and the more time you spend doing tasks like this, the less you are capable of getting done.

Just my two pennies.