Polybags - general discussion

Any polybaggers around here?  

362 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a polybag collector?

• I am a serious polybag collector and must have at least one for my personal collection.
    • I am a casual polybag collector and only buy what I like.
    • I do not collect polybags.
  2. 2. Do you invest in polybags?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends

15 hours ago, WTL said:

Black Panther Royal Talon Fighter at TRU yesterday with Ultimate Batmobile.

Also found it  at my local Walmart.

Also found the following at Walmart, but  didn't grab any:

30356: Hot Dog Stand
30357: Road Worker
30358: Dragster
30403: Olivia's Remote Control Boat
30405: Stephanie's Hockey Practice
30499: Robot/Vehicle free builds
30532: Turbo
30542: Cute Pug

On 3/6/2018 at 9:15 PM, justapilgrim said:

IMG_4685.JPG

I haven’t seen the 3-1 anywhere else,it’s a whopping 10 pieces!!!

$1.99 at Fm in Easter section with the other two

In addition to those 3 I found a new one I haven't seen anywhere else, 30359 City/Police Water Plane at my Fred Meyer. It wasn't in the Easter section but on an endcap in the regular Lego section (Bellevue store if you're local to Seattle).

Edited by JimboJet
Add more info

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

Define so many...

I bought 60 scar troopers and I know they had more. I bought 30 tent sets, 20 r3-m2, etc. And there were still racks of each available, plus who knows how many cases in back. They limited me to 15 at a time. I didn't think R3 was enough profit to go deeper on him. All of these polys except the kai pod were $2.50. Kai was $4. I only got 1 Kai for my kids and 2 Wu by accident.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I bought 60 scar troopers and I know they had more. I bought 30 tent sets, 20 r3-m2, etc. And there were still racks of each available, plus who knows how many cases in back. They limited me to 15 at a time. I didn't think R3 was enough profit to go deeper on him. All of these polys except the kai pod were $2.50. Kai was $4. I only got 1 Kai for my kids and 2 Wu by accident.

Where did you find all of these? 

Can anyone link me to a general Polybag investing thread or something of the like? Both for investment and potential immediate resale. Forgive me if this is not the place to ask. Are most polybags a good buy at $4 to wait until retirement to sell?

Can anyone link me to a general Polybag investing thread or something of the like? Both for investment and potential immediate resale. Forgive me if this is not the place to ask. Are most polybags a good buy at $4 to wait until retirement to sell?
IMHO, There is hardly any polybag worth buying at RRP (typically $3.99) for investment. Some exceptions exist (Darth Regan, Silver Centurion, Green Arrow) but those have been out of circulation for at least a year. Only price worthwhile is when they get discounted, ideally in the $1-$2 range.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil B said:
1 hour ago, B3cvar said:

IMHO, There is hardly any polybag worth buying at RRP (typically $3.99) for investment. Some exceptions exist (Darth Regan, Silver Centurion, Green Arrow) but those have been out of circulation for at least a year. Only price worthwhile is when they get discounted, ideally in the $1-$2 range.

There is a sucker born everyday:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=lego 30357&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

1 hour ago, Phil B said:
1 hour ago, B3cvar said:

I'm even talking long term investment. The one's you mentioned, what makes them the exceptions? Did they start out at 3.99 everywhere, easy to find, and then a year later when they were retied they just shot up? Or were they desireable from the get go and hard to find everywhere?

I would generally think a product retiring would naturally have some upswing effect on price. But, I'm new to lego collecting and investing, so forgive my ignorance on the subject. Just want to learn and be able to keep my eyes out for things on shelves and figure since the polybags are cheap, it could turn into some of the better ROI in the lego world.

1 hour ago, B3cvar said:

I'm even talking long term investment. The one's you mentioned, what makes them the exceptions? Did they start out at 3.99 everywhere, easy to find, and then a year later when they were retied they just shot up? Or were they desireable from the get go and hard to find everywhere?

I would generally think a product retiring would naturally have some upswing effect on price. But, I'm new to lego collecting and investing, so forgive my ignorance on the subject. Just want to learn and be able to keep my eyes out for things on shelves and figure since the polybags are cheap, it could turn into some of the better ROI in the lego world.

The ones I mentioned were never publicly available. Typically promos handed out only during a short period of time via a specific retailer (e.g. LEGO Shop at Home, GameStop etc.). Plus, they represent collectible minifigures with unique prints/features, and hence command a premium.

The polybag sales I did that proved to be worthwhile were:

1. Flipping lots of 10x Poe's X-Wing to Asia via EBay when those were new and not yet stocked at many Targets

2. Flipping Chameleon polybags and Turtle polybags when they were available at Meijer but nowhere else

3. Selling the aforementioned Centurions, Darth Revans and Green Arrow polys during the brief time they were available

4. Buying polybags for $1-$2 on sale and then selling them for $6-$8 on Amazon, netting $1-$2 profit. Good for the september qualification period, or on Ebay good for getting to TRS status quickly.

In general, polybags don't appreciate much, especially not when their content is fairly generic. Definitely not something where I'd go and "invest" in, if proper investing is even still a thing.

22 hours ago, Phil B said:

The ones I mentioned were never publicly available. Typically promos handed out only during a short period of time via a specific retailer (e.g. LEGO Shop at Home, GameStop etc.). Plus, they represent collectible minifigures with unique prints/features, and hence command a premium.

The polybag sales I did that proved to be worthwhile were:

1. Flipping lots of 10x Poe's X-Wing to Asia via EBay when those were new and not yet stocked at many Targets

2. Flipping Chameleon polybags and Turtle polybags when they were available at Meijer but nowhere else

3. Selling the aforementioned Centurions, Darth Revans and Green Arrow polys during the brief time they were available

4. Buying polybags for $1-$2 on sale and then selling them for $6-$8 on Amazon, netting $1-$2 profit. Good for the september qualification period, or on Ebay good for getting to TRS status quickly.

In general, polybags don't appreciate much, especially not when their content is fairly generic. Definitely not something where I'd go and "invest" in, if proper investing is even still a thing.

Thanks for the helpful advice! Speaking of investing, based on my few months of researching these forums and elsewhere, scouring for deals, etc, it seems investing is rather difficult....if into legos for making money, to me the clearance items are the meat and potatoes. Buy cheap, use various resources to maker things cheaper, then sell on amazon or eBay for full retail. Ones that appreciate seem to be the UCS upon retirement or exclusives (especially freebies that come from lego shop....sold the lego city fountain for $30 or something on ebay). Its my understanding as an investment, sets take quite a long time to appreciate too.