How often are pieces missing from sets?

cobi

I think I have a piece missing from my campervan - just a 1x1 white stud although I have a spare 1x1 stud with knob - I'm wondering if I've used the wrong one somewhere else in the build!

Sometimes that happens with me. I use the wrong piece(s), and then when I realize that, i have to go back in the set and try to find what I did wrong. It is easier to find you mistakes in smaller sets.

I opened a bunch of Star Wars Sets in 2007 and I was sooooooooo MAD!!!! Every single one of them where missing the 10,000 Limited Edition Gold C3-PO Minifig. Maybe I should call TLG and tell them....or write a hand written letter like Artisan. ;) What's crazy I still have some 2007 sets that are sealed new. Could one of them have the C3-PO Minifig??? Hmmmmmm!!!

• 1 month later...

I've had things happen like plates getting stuck inside of brick pieces, and mistaking colors in the book while building (dark gray vs black, etc).  So, a few "scares" but no actual missing pieces here in 30+ years of Lego building.

I have had manuals and sticker sheets hopelessly mangled due to being tossed into the box without any protection, but Lego has always replaced those at no cost to me.

I did not get a missing part in the yellow cargo train, but instead got 2 left hand points (switches), so could not complete the track.  Lego sent me a right hand point and said I could keep the extra piece so i was very happy with that result.  This error would not be picked up with their weight check of the set.

I just cracked open a Winter Village Cottage set to build for our Christmas display, and it was missing all six of these plates:

47407.jpg

Oddly enough, there were more of a few other plates included in the box.  Four extra of these:

3030.gif

Four extra of these:

60479.gif

And three extra of these:

32059.gif

Not sure how this order got so screwed up, but that is some bad QC...

I just cracked open a Winter Village Cottage set to build for our Christmas display, and it was missing all six of these plates:

47407.jpg

Oddly enough, there were more of a few other plates included in the box.  Four extra of these:

3030.gif

Four extra of these:

60479.gif

32059.gif

I have had a lot of missing pieces lately.

Maybe since TLG is making a lot of sets for the holiday season, there wouldbe more pieces missing because they did not check thouroly.

Guest eightbrick

47407.jpg

3030.gif

Four extra of these:

60479.gif

32059.gif

Wow. That's unbelievable. Never heard of such an extensive mix up. It probably passed automated review because weight wise the extras cancelled out the missing. Well, when your replacement parts come in you'll have ended up with 11 extra plates so that's not bad. Now I'm scared about the completeness of the ones I have stashed away... 

Wow. That's unbelievable. Never heard of such an extensive mix up. It probably passed automated review because weight wise the extras cancelled out the missing. Well, when your replacement parts come in you'll have ended up with 11 extra plates so that's not bad. Now I'm scared about the completeness of the ones I have stashed away... 

Hope it does not happen to any of the sets I am planning to get for Christmas.

• 4 weeks later...

Just "completed" two Horizon Expresses (need that full TGV).  The first set, no problems.  The second set, first car, no problem.  On the second set, second car, there were only 2 out of the 4 (or 5 or whatever it is) bag#2 bags.  However, there were at least 2 extra bags for the third car (bag#3).  I bought the sets from Amazon so gave them a call.  They had me buy a new one and refunded me the money (this new set was $50 above retail price).  With the third car and second car bags I was able to make a decent MOC fifth car and since there were no problems with the second set, 1st car (the engine) I still got my full TGV (although only 5 cars long).  I also now have a sealed set to squirrel away.

Anyway, I'm new at this AFOL so I wasn't surprised by the missing bags of parts.  But after reading this thread I see that it is unusual.  I'm glad Amazon treated me so well.

• 2 months later...

I just thought LEGO rarely made mistake like this...

My Min Midulars missing one piece... but it was a 1x1 brick. I would have thought minifigure parts are harder for them to miss... apparently I was wrong

Given how Lego advertises "Order Missing Pieces" on its front page, I would assume this should happen somewhat frequently. 

I've had two sets that were opened and returned to walmart shelves, one person pulled the hulk from a helicarrier and one person took the entire bag that continaed the dragon from the dragon mountain and then taped it up and stuck it back on the shelves in such a way that I couldn't notice they'd been opened

in both instances lego sent me the replacement parts no problem

I've had two sets that were opened and returned to walmart shelves, one person pulled the hulk from a helicarrier and one person took the entire bag that continaed the dragon from the dragon mountain and then taped it up and stuck it back on the shelves in such a way that I couldn't notice they'd been opened

in both instances lego sent me the replacement parts no problem

well, mine is from Amazon, all sealed and mint.

I was surprised Bane's head wasn't in the bag. Had to check many many times making sure before requesting it on LEGO Shop at Home

well, mine is from Amazon, all sealed and mint.

I was surprised Bane's head wasn't in the bag. Had to check many many times making sure before requesting it on LEGO Shop at Home

Just go to legos website and you can pick pieces you are missing. I just did this for my 75021 missing a hair piece. Very simple process.