How often are pieces missing from sets?

cobi

I am new to the Lego world, but have become hooked. I have had some issues, wondering if anyone else has. Bought Pet shop new in September, received 2 instruction book #2 no #1. Got Death Star for Christmas, and while the instruction book is impressive it was missing 2 pages. Grand Emporium came with the flower part for roof with no hole, had to have Lego send new part. Is it just my bad luck?

I am new to the Lego world, but have become hooked. I have had some issues, wondering if anyone else has. Bought Pet shop new in September, received 2 instruction book #2 no #1. Got Death Star for Christmas, and while the instruction book is impressive it was missing 2 pages. Grand Emporium came with the flower part for roof with no hole, had to have Lego send new part. Is it just my bad luck?

Wow - Beginner's Luck is supposed to be good. Very unusual - at least you're able to see how good Lego customer svc is.

Wow cobi, that is a lot of missing stuff! I have been building sets pretty regularly for the last 6 months or so, and I haven't gotten any yet with missing parts, manuals, etc. In fact, the only error I have encountered was just three days ago, but it was a positive error more than anything. I bought 76004 Spider-Cycle Chase, and it came with three decal sheets. I can make an extra 50 cents selling them on Bricklink! Lol.

arock68... Lucky you!! Lego customer service has been great. I too have been a builder for only the last 6 months. trying to keep up with the grandkids. I think it's now all about me now "I'm hooked". grandkids love their lego room at out house. Stuff their parents won't buy for them!!

• 5 months later...

Well this was a first. After hundreds of lego builds....we really came up short tonight. Maybe that's why I blew up at everything and everyone lego related like a child? Well---that and being called shady too many times.

So over the last couple years....I've requested 3 pieces from lego that were "missing" and I felt "shady" after each one because I ended up finding them. Well not tonight. After those 2 incidents we are very careful to clear the building table, and we slowly dump all bags into a small tub. Well...we were building the Shelob spider thing tonight and we found that we were missing a couple bricks. I said no way....and we spent 20 mins checking the bags, the box, all over the table and floor just in case---nope. 2 red pieces were actually missing.

I said--oh well---ill put an Internet order in for them...lets see how far we can get. After 10 mins...wife and son called me back---2 more items missing. I was very surprised. I work in high speed packaging and weighing for a living and know how accurate sorters, phote eyes, Plc and checkweighers are and thought missing pieces could never really happen. Well it does! I still suspect most "missing piece" orders are accidental or fraud judging from my personal experience. Curious what others thought?

Well this was a first. After hundreds of lego builds....we really came up short tonight. Maybe that's why I blew up at everything and everyone lego related like a child? Well---that and being called shady too many times.

So over the last couple years....I've requested 3 pieces from lego that were "missing" and I felt "shady" after each one because I ended up finding them. Well not tonight. After those 2 incidents we are very careful to clear the building table, and we slowly dump all bags into a small tub. Well...we were building the Shelob spider thing tonight and we found that we were missing a couple bricks. I said no way....and we spent 20 mins checking the bags, the box, all over the table and floor just in case---nope. 2 red pieces were actually missing.

I said--oh well---ill put an Internet order in for them...lets see how far we can get. After 10 mins...wife and son called me back---2 more items missing. I was very surprised. I work in high speed packaging and weighing for a living and know how accurate sorters, phote eyes, Plc and checkweighers are and thought missing pieces could never really happen. Well it does! I still suspect most "missing piece" orders are accidental or fraud judging from my personal experience. Curious what others thought?

There's really nothing worse missing pieces in a Lego set. My story isn't nearly as bad as yours, but it still sucked. My son got the Fire Temple for Christmas, and as we opened the bags, realized the Fire Sword (the one in the fire fountain) had been sawed in half when the bag it was in was heat-sealed. Talk about a downer, there's nothing worse than putting a stump of a sword into the Fire Fountain.

I don't agree with anyone who calls anyone else shady for calling in missing pieces from LEGO.

It's a service they offer to fans, customers, and builders of their products, irrespective of where they came from. You would have to place orders very frequently or be asking for a very large amount of "missing" pieces for LEGO to even care.

They move millions upon millions of bricks around the world. Your 3 here, 5 here, 2 here are not going to make them think you're involved in some underground LEGO scam network pushing fraudulently obtained bricks.

Anyone who calls you shady over something is just being ignorant.

I had a Sith Infiltrator missing something like ten parts and they all weren't the tiny bits either like Qui-gon Jinn's cape for some reason. That was a wierd experience but easily remedied although a downer seeing how much I was looking forward to building it that night. I had one other tiny set missing a part or two long time ago. Barely enough in my experience to consider a real problem. Stuff happens once in while.

I recently built a Darth Maul's Sith Infiltrator (the 2011 one) and found it was missing two small L-shaped pieces. I dug through everything twice, and as it turned out, the pieces were actually there but literally stuck together like Siamese twins, creating a U shaped or "horseshoe" piece. Pretty odd, I guess the machine they use to cut the pieces missed or something.

I recently built a Darth Maul's Sith Infiltrator (the 2011 one) and found it was missing two small L-shaped pieces. I dug through everything twice, and as it turned out, the pieces were actually there but literally stuck together like Siamese twins, creating a U shaped or "horseshoe" piece. Pretty odd, I guess the machine they use to cut the pieces missed or something.

I thought the same thing at first but turns out the part is meant to be that way. Still odd and I'm not sure what I can use it for.

I had my Space Police Limo missing an entire bag.

A whole bag! LEGO totally sent me all the parts missing and then some.

Ouch! Now that is horror story for any builder.

I had my Space Police Limo missing an entire bag.

A whole bag! LEGO totally sent me all the parts missing and then some.

I'd be incredibly frustrated if I was halfway through a build and had to stop because I hadn't realized a bag was missing.

I have a large tub of bulk that helps me cover down if I'm missing a common piece on a set. But a whole bag is pretty wild.  

Never had parts missing on a new set.  But used sets and missing parts are the bane of my life at present.  I'm rebuilding a lot of my old collection and despite thinking I'd been pretty careful about packing away all the pieces it seems almost every set has a few parts missing!  Lots of Bricklink orders for me...

I think it`s really weird that I`ve never had a piece missing. I`ve thought I`d been missing one or two here and there, but after taking a closer look, they would turn up. Truly random packaging faults.

On another note, this reminds me of when my dog chewed several of my pieces at one point ( 8-9 years ago), including a first edition Yoda figure, and I wrote a letter to Lego explaining what had happened. A couple weeks later, I got a typed note, personalized to me (they responded to every detail I had written individually), and a little plastic bag with a new Yoda and each of the 5 or so parts I had described. What other company goes out of their way to replace parts that were damaged by something that had nothing to do with the factory/shipping? Going back to missing parts, Lego`s reputation is too good overall to risk not ensuring that everyone gets the parts they need. I`ll always be grateful for whomever it was that read my chicken-scratch, child-like handwriting and decided to reply so kindly. 

• Like 3

I bought a Helm's Deep (Complete) on Ebay and it was missing 10 pieces. People here told me to contact Lego for the bits, which I thought was a bit dubious. But I did and Lego sent me the pieces no questions asked. Superb Customer service. To assuage my conscience I went and spent

I had the experience of missing a few parts from a very small Harry Potter set. Out of the 60 or so pieces, 6 were missing. It was the only time I'd bought a new, then current, set which was actually missing parts. A quick note to Customer Service remedied the situation and my kids were happy.

I did, however, get a MISB OOP Rogue Shadow from an auction that was sealed when it arrived, but missing two(!) of the 8 bags. The seller wouldn't take it back ("All sales final!!!!" - not sure if I got all their exclamation points) and eBay lamed out, laying the blame on TLG for failing to package it properly because the seller asserted it was a sealed box. No wonder the price was good! Haven't thought to call LEGO for help on this one. And I don't believe the fault lies with TLG.

I had the experience of missing a few parts from a very small Harry Potter set. Out of the 60 or so pieces, 6 were missing. It was the only time I'd bought a new, then current, set which was actually missing parts. A quick note to Customer Service remedied the situation and my kids were happy.

I did, however, get a MISB OOP Rogue Shadow from an auction that was sealed when it arrived, but missing two(!) of the 8 bags. The seller wouldn't take it back ("All sales final!!!!" - not sure if I got all their exclamation points) and eBay lamed out, laying the blame on TLG for failing to package it properly because the seller asserted it was a sealed box. No wonder the price was good! Haven't thought to call LEGO for help on this one. And I don't believe the fault lies with TLG.

You know, with a lot of people here hoarding their sets for years to be sold at a later date what should happen should; say your sealed 10182 Cafe Corner that you have sold for $700-900, be short of a bag or two when your buyer opens it.

You have sold it sealed in good faith. Should you give a refund, then you lose $100s, go to Lego yourself, or send the buyer to Lego?