NEW BRICKPICKER MEMBER FAQs & INVESTMENT QUESTIONS

Hi guys i have just been out a brought a few sets of lego from my local store. I have done some research and realised that the star wars merchandise holds its value so i am looking to go down that route.

Can anyone advise a list of all star wars lego I kind of want to make a wish list and mark of as i collect them

Also any advice on the best ones to target.

As i am new to investing minot really sure which lego to buy, are there any standard rules i should keep to when buying?

thanks

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so given it is a newbie thread and seem to be a fair amount of newbies about, here's an opinion question. Save for a bigger set or purchase mid range sets as you go a long? Starting from scratch rather than with a £1000 starting kitty so wondering what the general consensus / tactic would be? Would be buying to hold but not averse to flipping to expedite the building of a larger pot. UK market if that makes a difference. Thanks guys.

Thanks Sauromosis, UK not massive on coupons for some reason but will certainly keep my eye out for that kind of thing. Star Wars sets and the larger modular sets seem to be the ones to target for the bigger purchases, do you find Star Wars tends to be good for flipping on the way up as well?

Yeah Star Wars is kindof the gold standard.  Modulars have usually been great and I expect Pet Shop to do well but not as well as the past ones.

For flipping, you want to find those hot sets that have a low rank on amazon (meaning lots of buyers).

It's all about retirement for the medium and long term holds.  Follow the Retirement threads.  Recently, Sea Cow and Tumbler have retired and gone up a good amount in price.

Aimed at the new investors who might have some savings, but seeing as they're earning no interest in the bank go looking for alternative investments and stumble across articles about Lego investing.The 2 pieces of advice I'd give are research (use this site as its great and the knowledge you can gain from reading previous post or asking intelligent questions can be invaluable) and have a PLAN you intend to stick to.
So once in, you think you find some good bargains and quickly your closet is now stashed with a sizable amount of Lego.  Couple of things might (and probably will) happen next.

1) You suddenly stop to think about what you're doing and your bowels drop - a good chuck of your savings are now stashed in your closet.  You panic and are willing to sell up for little or no profit.  Trust me when i say I'm pretty sure this happens to everyone when they start out.  As long as you've properly planned and made some decent choices don't panic!  You might get some quick wins but for most sets you need patience.

2) You see some of the sets you got on sale and immediately consider yourself psychologically as losing money, again you're running to the nearest lavatory.  Here there are 2 ways people might go.  Panic, throw the budget out of the window and buy more sets averaging down even though it breaks all the targets you set for a particular set (then go to 1).  Or Panic and go straight to 1 (do not pass go, do not collect 200). You become disheartened and sell out at no profit or want to return purchases to the store.

Just to reiterate what a lot of the vets on here have said have a plan (that can obviously change given the circumstances), don't overextend yourself and have some fun.  Lego investing isn't a get rich quick scheme. I believe there is decent money out there to be made but just like everything else it takes some patience, a bit of luck and a lot of work.

Ohhh...and before anyone calls me out yes I am speaking from experience :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sauromosis said:

Yeah Star Wars is kindof the gold standard.  Modulars have usually been great and I expect Pet Shop to do well but not as well as the past ones.

For flipping, you want to find those hot sets that have a low rank on amazon (meaning lots of buyers).

It's all about retirement for the medium and long term holds.  Follow the Retirement threads.  Recently, Sea Cow and Tumbler have retired and gone up a good amount in price.

you said follow the retirement threads? where are these threads? 

19 minutes ago, gregpj said:

Sorry, saw your post and forgot to reply.. The stock tracker is maintained by Jeff... not sure what you mean by custom listings, but people ask for sets to be added/removed in this thread:

i see ty....by custom i meant can each user create their own list.

My question is mainly for UK/Euro people I guess.

I actually had a ton of unopened LEGO (mainly Star Wars, that I bought over the last 4/5 years) and I recently got given a Tydirium Shuttle for Xmas (which I built) and it gave me the bug to get more items, both for my personal use and some to hold off and sell at a later date.

Now I've seen a few people saying that 25% off isn't that much of a saving on a big set (they quoted $200 so I guess that would be a £150+ set for me) so really what kind of savings do people recommend as a buy in? Ignoring when something is announced as being close to retirement, as anything under RRP is probably good at that point. I mainly mean on big exclusive sets that are rarely discounted, over here at least, and not widely availabe - modulars, Sand Crawler, Ewok Village etc. Best I've seen for those, in the UK, is 20% off and that was at Smyths last year. Is it worth getting these sets at RRP if you can get double points at LSAH (like the Detective Office currently) or holding out for ANY kind of discount?

Then in terms of small sets I could get 22% off all the new SW TFA sets recently, but as most of them are small I figured I could hold off. There have been a few purges recently at supermarkets where sets like Kylo Ren's Shuttle were down to £25 (from £99.99), but they were on a store by store basis and mainly a wild goose chase. So do I go for the smaller guaranteed savings or hold out for sales that are more risky due to small stock levels?

Sorry for the lengthy post BTW. Just saying things as they occured to me, ha ha. Thanks in advance.

36 minutes ago, wobbl87 said:

Is there any way to find the values for completed series?

start here.

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/sets.cfm?theme=170&sort=set_pieces&order=desc

follow the link if you think there price errors.

"Price guide data is based of "SOLD" listings, not current live listings. If you still feel that the above set values look "off", please notify us and we will investigate.  If you would like to add/edit information for this set listing, click here! "

then look on past ebay sold sales (basis for BP price guide) and bricklink after looking at the link above.