Jump to content

NEW BRICKPICKER MEMBER FAQs & INVESTMENT QUESTIONS


Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, legostuff said:

Hi All! I'm new to the lego arena. I'm starting to invest and collect of course. Two noob questions I hope you can answer:

1) What does EOL mean

2) Does the value drop significantly if the factory seal is opened but the bags are still sealed? 

 

Thank you!

Hello...

1) End of Line...Retired date or product

2) Not really...if the box and components are in good condition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/10/2016 at 4:39 PM, stanleycoolbrick said:

Just wondering...aside from popularity and obvious appeal like characters, movie tie in, etc., is it worth it to just buy any retired set?

 

The short answer is: No.

The long answer is: No. Only certain items within certain themes appreciate in value after being retired. Most sets don't. Best way to judge is using the EBay sold listings or checking the Price Guide feature on this site (which uses EBay sold listings as its data source).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What is the correct procedure when you need to ask a MOD about appropriate content? Is there a dedicated panic button or flag a MOD thread?

Also, is there any sort of community news thread? For instance, I see that ____ is not very active anymore or what was _____'s old handle? Or why hasn't @Alpinemaps updated the polybag availability lately?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Poly 30286 said:

What is the correct procedure when you need to ask a MOD about appropriate content? Is there a dedicated panic button or flag a MOD thread?

Also, is there any sort of community news thread? For instance, I see that ____ is not very active anymore or what was _____'s old handle? Or why hasn't @Alpinemaps updated the polybag availability lately?

First part should be sent to @Jeff Mack. Second part.....well you'll have to take that up with @Alpinemaps, but tread lightly. From all the chatter about GC status on the DD thread...his mop is gonna be sore and irritated.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

hi all...I've not found someone asking if not in this old post - unfortunately unanswered...so I sort of bump the following question: why is a set "current market value" shown with a different value in the set detail than what is shown in the price guide "value"?

Today I was investigating the following set 6231-1

if I put it in the set compare feature I see a current market value (new) of 40.87 euros, while looking at the price guide it shows 56.80 euros (btw, same value shown if I put the set in the lot price calculator)

I was expecting to find the same value also for the set comparison...or is it a different calculation / aggregation?

TIA!

 

compare.png

priceguide.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On April 19, 2016 at 6:51 AM, Poly 30286 said:

What is the correct procedure when you need to ask a MOD about appropriate content? Is there a dedicated panic button or flag a MOD thread?

Also, is there any sort of community news thread? For instance, I see that ____ is not very active anymore or what was _____'s old handle? Or why hasn't @Alpinemaps updated the polybag availability lately?

LOL - I missed this until today, @Poly 30286.  It's updated now.  As to why I didn't update it between February and May.  Life.  There's only so many hours in the day.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On Saturday, June 11, 2016 at 9:30 PM, Bold-Arrow said:

Click on following and choose your preference 

Thanks for that!

 

Does anyone know if you can bypass the lego limit on purchase by buying items over several purchases over a prolonged period e.g. limit of 2 sets, so you buy 1 set every month.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Hi everyone! New member from South Carolina. Got into selling Lego a few months ago to make a few extra bucks and have something fun to do with my kids. Mostly buy used sets from CL or my local flea market. Not a big operation here. Have a full time job and sell on the side.

1. What is more lucrative, buying used sets and reselling them or buying/selling boxed sets from retail store?

2. What's a reasonable amount of money a part timer can make in a year? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Super Dad SC said:

Hi everyone! New member from South Carolina. Got into selling Lego a few months ago to make a few extra bucks and have something fun to do with my kids. Mostly buy used sets from CL or my local flea market. Not a big operation here. Have a full time job and sell on the side.

1. What is more lucrative, buying used sets and reselling them or buying/selling boxed sets from retail store?

2. What's a reasonable amount of money a part timer can make in a year? 

It's a tough time to be a new entrant in the game right now. At this point there are a lot of unknowns in the LEGO secondary/reselling market which make it difficult to predict what is the most lucrative path forward. It may very well be that the most lucrative option is to not sink lots of money into LEGO over the next 6 to 12 months.

If I had to choose between your two options though, I'd say go with buying and selling new sets from retail stores. There has been some success recently for newbies in parting out new sets, quick flips, and reselling clearance pick-ups. The bulk-lot, used set flipping business is hard work for typically low margins. With the proliferation of counterfeit parts, sets, and minifigures, it's only going to get harder.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 10:59 PM, Deadfraggle said:

It's a tough time to be a new entrant in the game right now. At this point there are a lot of unknowns in the LEGO secondary/reselling market which make it difficult to predict what is the most lucrative path forward. It may very well be that the most lucrative option is to not sink lots of money into LEGO over the next 6 to 12 months.

If I had to choose between your two options though, I'd say go with buying and selling new sets from retail stores. There has been some success recently for newbies in parting out new sets, quick flips, and reselling clearance pick-ups. The bulk-lot, used set flipping business is hard work for typically low margins. With the proliferation of counterfeit parts, sets, and minifigures, it's only going to get harder.

I'd second this.  Unless you're buying used sets in bulk and then going through and sorting them out to completely items which takes ALOT of time (but can be lucrative although you'll also end up with a lot of junk) i think buying and selling new is still the best option for someone who is doing this as a side hobby.

You might come across a few good deals on used sets now and again due that you can make some $$$ on but I think those are more about being in the right place at the right time and as far as i can tell not a long term regular strategy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good morning, 

New to the site and I think it's fantastic.  I just got back into collecting for purposes of building and displaying with my 4 year old son and even my father-in-law got the sickness as he's bought a few sets too.

A general question that I feel comes down to more luck than anything else but how the hell do you find bulk random lego's at a "I don't care" price just so that we have some to play with as we don't really want to tear down our sets.  Where do you guys look other than Craigslist or Ebay for just plan random lego's and 2x4 bricks?  Thanks!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, LegoMan1212 said:

Good morning, 

New to the site and I think it's fantastic.  I just got back into collecting for purposes of building and displaying with my 4 year old son and even my father-in-law got the sickness as he's bought a few sets too.

A general question that I feel comes down to more luck than anything else but how the hell do you find bulk random lego's at a "I don't care" price just so that we have some to play with as we don't really want to tear down our sets.  Where do you guys look other than Craigslist or Ebay for just plan random lego's and 2x4 bricks?  Thanks!

 

If it's just plain bricks you're looking for, set 10705 might be of interest. Currently on sale at LEGO Shop at Home for $47.99. Comes down to $0.048/brick. https://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Creative-Building-Basket-10705

10705_alt1.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, LegoMan1212 said:

Good morning, 

New to the site and I think it's fantastic.  I just got back into collecting for purposes of building and displaying with my 4 year old son and even my father-in-law got the sickness as he's bought a few sets too.

A general question that I feel comes down to more luck than anything else but how the hell do you find bulk random lego's at a "I don't care" price just so that we have some to play with as we don't really want to tear down our sets.  Where do you guys look other than Craigslist or Ebay for just plan random lego's and 2x4 bricks?  Thanks!

 

Also pick a brick at the LEGO store and welcome to the site!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

How reliable are the set values on bricklink.com

I feel like they are always pretty low on sets, compared to what Im seeing on Ebay/Amazon, and then I feel they go way high on individual pieces and mini figures compared to what I see on Ebay...what are those values based on, and how do you set values differently?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...