Let's get proactive about LEGO scams on eBay.

StarPod

I just had two Spongebob sets sell to different usernames in the Russian Federation, accounts opened less than 60 days and feedback of 1.  Thought nothing of it for the first sale, but canceled the second transaction as I'm sure it's a scam.  Luckily the first guy left me positive feedback the same day I shipped it, so hopefully that'll help protect me in what I"m already assuming will be a loss.

All eBay sellers need to remember their ebay ids had a big fat ZERO next to it at one time.  Everybody starts with 0 feedback and not everyone is a scammer.  

In actuality, dealing with untrustworthy buyers is just one aspect of the business, whether online or at B&M stores

All eBay sellers need to remember their ebay ids had a big fat ZERO next to it at one time.  Everybody starts with 0 feedback and not everyone is a scammer.  

In actuality, dealing with untrustworthy buyers is just one aspect of the business, whether online or at B&M stores

Amen brother...if people can't tolerate some risk, they shouldn't be selling on eBay.

I for one don't mind repeated questions.  If I don't feel like answering them or reading the answers, I don't.  It's that easy.    A well visited forum is going to have the same questions asked dozens of times, dozens of different ways.  Sometimes it's better to start a new thread than having to read through ten previous pages of comments to catch up.  And I am certainly not going to do a search before every question I ask.  Some of those threads have dozens of pages and I am not sure I want to look every time it is updated to see that someone is talking about something that happened 5 pages/two weeks ago.

Relax everyone.  The forum isn't always going to be knowledge bombs that is new to everyone. 

That being said,  I certainly wouldn't come to a LEGO forum to ask ebay /shipping questions if I wasn't an active member of that community.

I just went ahead and emailed the seller to get a refund. He never answered me back so I figured I was stuck with it. But today when I checked my email I saw that he had refunded the entire order. Now I don't have to worry about it anymore. Thank god.

So I am seeing a growing number of listings on eBay of currently available LEGO sets that are being listed as retired in the headline and/or description. Now I know some of you here say its the buyers job to protect themselves from being scammed by doing their research. I somewhat agree. I just think its ridiculous the lengths so seller will go to to get an "edge" on the competition. I frequently email these sellers and very politely inform them that the set they have listed is in fact not retired and more times than not their true scammer Dbag colors shine through in their responses. Most say too bad don't bid/buy then. Newsflash skeezbayer, I never was going to bid or buy, I just want your listing to be honest. What are your thoughts here?

Ebay is just a more organized version of Craigslist.  For the most part, the sellers and just as crooked, you just don't have to meet them.  It was like the Mr. Gold "Hot Pack".  Anybody that had half a brain knew darn well what was in the package, but the world has enough morons that think "Maybe I'll be the lucky one that gets Mr. Gold!!". 

I see it in listing and I think that the word retired has lost all meaning as far as ebay goes.  Does it mean people are jumping on auctions and bidding more because it is listed as retired?  The potential is there.  I think the majority will be desensitized to the word in time and something flashier will have to be used to replace 'retired' like...limited production run, first edition, sold for a limited time, or insanely deadly (the last one was in an auction I came across the other day).

I agree, it's a lie and that's about as immoral as it gets.

On the flipside, I've had buyers pay full price on my "best offer" listings before I ever received an offer. The world is a strange, ignorant place. One can take advantage without even trying, apparently.

I am sure most here are in-tune with false or mis-leading ebay listings for Legos because that's what we're primarily interested in.

However, you will find false claims made in listings in almost every category on ebay. I have numerous other hobbies (model railroading, R/C, plastic modeling, shooting/firearms, Lego) and I can tell you these all have listings with false claims about what's being sold.

It comes down to knowing what you're buying. I don't bother contacting the seller. I just smile and move on to the next listing. You're not going to change what these sellers are doing.

To me, its annoying to see that, but I don't feel like I'd be bothered enough to act upon it. I also get annoyed when people label things with other corny buzzwords in stores or on ebay, such as "HOT!" "LIMITED SUPPLY!!" or RARE!" Funny how grocery stores will do this alot in the produce section. You walk up on a display of apples and theres a freaking sign there that exclaims "BEST PRICE IN TOWN!!" and its actually 5 cents per pound more than their competitor, ha ha.

To me, its annoying to see that, but I don't feel like I'd be bothered enough to act upon it. I also get annoyed when people label things with other corny buzzwords in stores or on ebay, such as "HOT!" "LIMITED SUPPLY!!" or RARE!" Funny how grocery stores will do this alot in the produce section. You walk up on a display of apples and theres a freaking sign there that exclaims "BEST PRICE IN TOWN!!" and its actually 5 cents per pound more than their competitor, ha ha.

Yeah I wish their was a way to get rid of it. Honestly a lot of times i ignore that because they are normally overpriced.

I remember right after the Jabba's Palace scare lots of listings had "discontinued" or "rare" in the titles/descriptions. Most of those listings were $200+ dollars and even one was about $800! Those same listings claimed they had a great price for a rare set. Yeah, riiigght. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest betsy805

Unfortunately positive feedback is not going to protect you when the real owner of the paypal account files a claim and says their account was hacked.

Was it in Moscow, or did they spell it Moskow?

They spelled it Moscow.  And I just got the chargeback that I'd been waiting for...credit card fraud.  Can't really be mad about it as I had a suspicion it was coming and didn't take the correct steps to protect myself.  At least I canceled the second transaction, right?! I'll take this as a $100 lesson learned.