Let's get proactive about LEGO scams on eBay.

StarPod

This guy has zero feedback. His BIN price is $3000. For a bricklinked UCS Falcon he hasn't built yet. Basically, you give this guy three grand and he'll get back to you with a homemade falcon with no box and "he'll try to send you a cd with the instructions." In 20-25 days.

Even if this smelled totally legit, even if he had done it before, even if it was already done and the actual set was for sale... $3000 is just a ridiculous asking price.

I'm not saying it's a scam, but it is a ripoff.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-Star-Wars-Ultimate-Collectors-Millennium-Falcon-10179-/290950572358?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item43be016946

This guy has zero feedback. His BIN price is $3000. For a bricklinked UCS Falcon he hasn't built yet. Basically, you give this guy three grand and he'll get back to you with a homemade falcon with no box and "he'll try to send you a cd with the instructions." In 20-25 days.

Even if this smelled totally legit, even if he had done it before, even if it was already done and the actual set was for sale... $3000 is just a ridiculous asking price.

I'm not saying it's a scam, but it is a ripoff.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-Star-Wars-Ultimate-Collectors-Millennium-Falcon-10179-/290950572358?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item43be016946

Report as follows:

Listing Practices -> Inappropriate Seller Terms -> Presale

Would you care to elaborate ?  Looking at just this listing, I had some doubts but it was not an obvious scam.

If you look at the feedback history for all three, you will see the pattern.  The user ID's are either new, or ancient with no activity for years.  Suddenly, they have ~5 feedback for private auctions from sellers with a similar level and style of feedback, all in one day.

Price below MSRP, stock images, extended handling time, feedback history is fishy as can be. (No feedback for five years, then seven in the span of a couple of hours.) Looks like one of the feedbacks as a seller came from someone who left feedback for this account as a buyer as well. You could probably spider out from this listing and find who knows how many fraudsters.

Ah Ok, I saw that.  However, if you were a potential buyer who only saw one of these listings, how could you tell if it is scam ?  Especially hard is the one with 86 feedback

It's tough. Honestly I ask people if they are drop-shipping. What's weird is most of them respond immediately and say yes. They can't hide it because if you buy it they will know.

I usually just tell them I am now reporting them to Ebay - half the time they get scared and remove the auction themselves.

Don't get me wrong, it's tough to tell. I have made two purchases this year that ended up being a scam.

Here is an example from the one you pointed out:

I'm ship directly from supplier . Thanks

- vjmc3
Click "respond" to reply through Messages, or go to your email to reply s.gifbtnRespond.gif

To: vjmc3
Subject: Other: sent a message about LEGO Star Wars Super Star Destroyer Executor #330966826824
Sent Date: Jul-24-13 12:30:00 PDT

Dear vjmc3,

Are these drop shipped?

I was going to bid on a bane minifig but before I did, I contacted a couple of individuals who already purchased the figure.  One says figure was legit other said he compared it to his original and told me the torso was a custom.  It really angers me when someone gives positive feedback and then tells me that the figure was a fake.  Seller uses the same picture for each fig he sells, is from Korea and he has sold multiple banes. Obviously red flags.

Here is the link to the Bane figure:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121144501600?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

What I don't understand is, the seller is telling us that it will be dropshipped directly from the supplier, so to me, how is that a scam? I though the only scams were when they didn't tell you...? Could he still be using a stolen credit card? Doubt it

What I don't understand is, the seller is telling us that it will be dropshipped directly from the supplier, so to me, how is that a scam? I though the only scams were when they didn't tell you...? Could he still be using a stolen credit card? Doubt it

Its a scam because he has no supplier. Drop-shipping itself is not the scam. Buy it - and when you get it, you will see it is directly from Lego for way more than you paid because he bought it with a stolen credit card.

He has no supplier. If he did, this wouldn't be the first Lego set that they ever sold with that account. It is 100% scam.

• Like 1