9476 Orc Forges available again on Target.com

jaisonline

I am planning to return to Target the 15 Orc Forge that I bought.  Will buy back several sets from Lego later in the year.

Don't jump the gun yet! You have 90 days for returns if the. Red card was used. See how this plays out before returning the as you might regret returning them in 1-2 months.

Don't jump the gun yet! You have 90 days for returns if the. Red card was used. See how this plays out before returning the as you might regret returning them in 1-2 months.

Good point, Jason.  Thanks!

I placed multiple orders expecting that Target would cancel several of my orders.  However, I was very surprised when Target filled ALL of my orders the very next day.  Yes, I used Red Card and cash flow is not a problem.  So, I think that if I see this item available on Lego.com, then I will buy more Orc Forge from Lego.com (and obtain the Lego monthly freebies) and then return a bunch of Target Orc Forge to Target.

Okay people lets stay calm.....breathe. Production runs, long term sales strategies, and asset allocation are not altered because 1000 sets sold out quickly at target.com. These sets were likely stuck somewhere in the supply chain. This set is experiencing what I have noticed is a normal life cycle. I mean Weathertop has been retired since spring, yet I bought one online at TRU as recently as two weeks ago and I have some sitting at a Walmart that I am waiting for the price cut on. This set will likely linger for a few months and be like the Terminator** (okay, NOW it's dead...uh oh you better run Sarah Connor cause The Orc Forge is crawling after you with no legs and 1 arm).

**I apologize for my random sense of humor/analogies. I know they may be bad but hopefully not worthy of a "-". You should see my Ebay listings!

• Like 1

They "found" 1000 sets?  Good grief.  Things don't get "found" in warehouses with modern distribution systems and rfid tracking.  These sold out at both outlets, and were put back into production. Whether it was planned or not, they are back in production.   Wish they put date codes..so we can see the different production runs.

Weathertop was retired.  The forge was not.  It was sold out----big difference.  I (and many others) took a calculated risk that it might be retired, but it was not.  Now we can all return our sets (bought at retail) and wait for them to get put on sale/clearance.  I'll wait 30 days more, but if they go back into stock at Lego---all 20 of my sets are going back.

Good point, Jason.  Thanks!

I placed multiple orders expecting that Target would cancel several of my orders.  However, I was very surprised when Target filled ALL of my orders the very next day.  Yes, I used Red Card and cash flow is not a problem.  So, I think that if I see this item available on Lego.com, then I will buy more Orc Forge from Lego.com (and obtain the Lego monthly freebies) and then return a bunch of Target Orc Forge to Ta

red card gives you an extra 30 days for returns so it is 120 days

Weathertop was retired. The forge was not. It was sold out----big difference. I (and many others) took a calculated risk that it might be retired, but it was not.

I quoted what I thought were good points,

additionally, weathertop was still around despite being retired because it was NOT a seller at $60 which many retailers kept the prices at until recently. Hence, it was always around. Orc Forge is a diff situation. It was sold out everywhere despite not being retired. If lego.com starts selling more, then yes. Lego did a production run(s) so buyers could purchase this along with the O-Tower for some duration of overlap.

They "found" 1000 sets?  Good grief.  Things don't get "found" in warehouses with modern distribution systems and rfid tracking.  These sold out at both outlets, and were put back into production. Whether it was planned or not, they are back in production.   Wish they put date codes..so we can see the different production runs.

Weathertop was retired.  The forge was not.  It was sold out----big difference.  I (and many others) took a calculated risk that it might be retired, but it was not.  Now we can all return our sets (bought at retail) and wait for them to get put on sale/clearance.  I'll wait 30 days more, but if they go back into stock at Lego---all 20 of my sets are going back.

You put found in quotes...but I never said found. I do accounting for a large manufacturing company, and merchandise coming from the factories oversees can get delayed, especially when it is coming through customs or being shipped on a boat. We just had one shipment from China delayed 3 months cause they were re-palletizing the load. Now, I don't know how efficient Legos supply chain is, but I am almost certain that they are better then my company so stuff like that probably doesn't happen. But for some merchandise to land a few weeks later isn't all that surprising.

You put found in quotes...but I never said found. I do accounting for a large manufacturing company, and merchandise coming from the factories oversees can get delayed, especially when it is coming through customs or being shipped on a boat. We just had one shipment from China delayed 3 months cause they were re-palletizing the load. Now, I don't know how efficient Legos supply chain is, but I am almost certain that they are better then my company so stuff like that probably doesn't happen. But for some merchandise to land a few weeks later isn't all that surprising.

Good point especially since Lego manufacturing is done in Europe (2 places I think), Asia (somewhere in China), and Mexico. That would explain Target, not sure if your theory explains availability at lego.co, but it could since that web states "temp unavailable"

Good point especially since Lego manufacturing is done in Europe (2 places I think), Asia (somewhere in China), and Mexico. That would explain Target, not sure if your theory explains availability at lego.co, but it could since that web states "temp unavailable"

Actually we sell to Target and Walmart, so I have a pretty good idea of how their relationships with suppliers is (at least from a financial side) and for them to sell out, place a new order, and for us to RESTART production, produce the floor mats, ship them (by boat mind you...No way to fly that stuff, itd take whatever profit there was) would take months. They didn't restart production cause they sold out last week (or if they did then those new sets will show up sometime in August). Likely LEGO Shop at Home is treated similarly to Target by TLG.

Of course the most likely answer is probably the most simple: it never was retired. They intended full well for them to be sold through the end of August. When the retiring soon rumor surfaced there was a mad rush to load up on this one and it sold out. Now there's more again.

Good point, Jason. Thanks!

I placed multiple orders expecting that Target would cancel several of my orders. However, I was very surprised when Target filled ALL of my orders the very next day. Yes, I used Red Card and cash flow is not a problem. So, I think that if I see this item available on Lego.com, then I will buy more Orc Forge from Lego.com (and obtain the Lego monthly freebies) and then return a bunch of Target Orc Forge to Target.

Yeah definitely don't return your sets. Hold them. This will retire and it will rise in value. My gut feeling is LEGO is screwing with investors/resellers by doing this. Remember when someone suggested having a paid portion of this site so that not everybody could access information. I feel as if LEGO employees just lurk here and do not contribute to the forums. What if, instead if a paid portion of the site (which I am against) there is a portion of the forums that can only be entered when one reaches a certain level or number of posts. This is. Encourage people to participate in discussion and also prevent "lurkers" from finding out information without returning anything. Plus it would be free.

• Like 1

I think everyone that is considering returning the sets they bought needs to calm down... Maybe they made another production run, maybe they didn't.  Anything we can say would just be a guess.  Sure, if they take off the retiring soon tag, return your sets.  But until then, just stay calm.  

A heads up for people just entering the game.  Sets DO NOT just go straight up in value right after retirement.  There is a chance that you might have to wait a year to sell these at $80, or whatever you intend to sell them at.  If you get into this game with the idea that you will buy sets that are about to retire and sell them for twice the amount 3 months later, you won't last long at all because these instances are few and far between.

• Like 4

I think everyone that is considering returning the sets they bought needs to calm down... Maybe they made another production run, maybe they didn't. Anything we can say would just be a guess. Sure, if they take off the retiring soon tag, return your sets. But until then, just stay calm.

A heads up for people just entering the game. Sets DO NOT just go straight up in value right after retirement. There is a chance that you might have to wait a year to sell these at $80, or whatever you intend to sell them at. If you get into this game with the idea that you will buy sets that are about to retire and sell them for twice the amount 3 months later, you won't last long at all because these instances are few and far between.

+1

• Like 1

I think everyone that is considering returning the sets they bought needs to calm down... Maybe they made another production run, maybe they didn't.  Anything we can say would just be a guess.  Sure, if they take off the retiring soon tag, return your sets.  But until then, just stay calm.  

A heads up for people just entering the game.  Sets DO NOT just go straight up in value right after retirement.  There is a chance that you might have to wait a year to sell these at $80, or whatever you intend to sell them at.  If you get into this game with the idea that you will buy sets that are about to retire and sell them for twice the amount 3 months later, you won't last long at all because these instances are few and far between.

True that. Not everything is like Zombies. I am keeping all mine - honestly I am gonna buy more.

• Like 2

Is it possible Target will keep it longer.....much longer :shocked: .......like its happened with this exclusive set for Target....EOL last Xmas...

http://www.target.com/p/lego-star-wars-naboo-starfighter-7877/-/A-13391231#prodSlot=medium_1_55&term=lego

These all got clearanced out of the stores (at least around here) so I believe they are only available online.

+1

Sir, no more posting "+1". ;)

I think I'm going to go with El Guapo's reasoning for the sudden surplus of Orc Forges. It is very believeable that there were just a bunch of these sets stuck, and then they finally made their way to Target.com. Will TLG continue the product? I don't think so, just because it isn't like them to do it. Could there be an eventual remake? Probably. Same goes for other iconic sets like HD, An Unexpected Gathering, etc.

BTW, we need an abbreviation for An Unexpected Gathering. How's AUG sound? Creative...I know.

• 1 month later...