Crazy prices on Ebay

I browse eBay all the time as do most members here. I always find just stupid high prices on LEGO sets. My question is what's the point? I get it that this is free market and sellers are free to set the price point but it seems to me like a waste of time. Why not price your sets competitively, more sales means more money right? I'm sure many of you have thoughts on subject so please share.

• Like 1

I listed a few "to build" sets with pretty high price tag. If someone is willing to pay that price to obtain the sets, then I'd use the profit to buy used copy or other sets for myself. This is the price for my enjoyment of the said sets.

For example, if someone is willing to shell $400 for my new in sealed box WV Toy Shop, I would gladly sell it to them. If noone wants it by Dec 1st, then I will open it and enjoy it with my family. However, I know with $400 now I can find other things to enjoy during the holidays. Win-win.

It's a shot in the dark, that's for sure.  I got an email from Ebay the other day saying that the first 40k fixed price auction listing for me are free.  40k... I don't think I have 40k unique items in my home to try and sell unless I was to part out my clothing and tool sets down to individual components.  I imagine a lot of the sellers figure nothing ventured nothing gained and maybe they will get lucky and sell their asking price.

Many of these high priced items are aimed at international buyers, which have few other options and must pay a premium.  The extremely high priced items amount taking a chance and have some inexperienced buyer pay the high price from sheer laziness or lack of caring.  

Yeah I'm not sure why we're making every aspect of this trade an ethical debate.

The entire world runs on the fuel of the spender, irrelevant of that spender's intelligence, savvy, or familiarity with product or market they are spending in.

If I list something for $100.00 over the standard price, and someone willingly, of their own volition, purchases it, have I really ripped them off? At some point you have to draw a line between the fault of the seller and the fault of the purchaser. Buyers in our field, especially eBay, have the deck stacked in their favor when it comes to buying securely and intelligently.

Things are only worth what the buyer is willing to pay.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm not sure why we're making every aspect of this trade an ethical debate.

The entire world runs on the fuel of the spender, irrelevant of that spender's intelligence, savvy, or familiarity with product or market they are spending in.

If I list something for $100.00 over the standard price, and someone willingly, of their own volition, purchases it, have I really ripped them off? At some point you have to draw a line between the fault of the seller and the fault of the purchaser. Buyers in our field, especially eBay, have the deck stacked in their favor when it comes to buying securely and intelligently.

Things are only worth what the buyer is willing to pay.

Personally I list things high for multiple reasons.

1. I'm waiting for the price to climb that high. I have an ebay store and I'd rather get it listed so it's up there than have to go searching for it to list it later.

2. I don't know the market value of items in areas where they are hard to get. I offer international shipping on most items and many sellers don't. I frequently get more money for those hard to find items that I sell to an international buyer.

3. Listing high (but not too high) keeps the market high. On ebay frequently the going price is just the price that people have been comparing/listing them at. So if I list something high and the next person compares to me and lists higher accordingly it bumps the value of the item a bit. Of course this works on a pretty small scale and doesn't work on items that are current or that there is a large stock out there but more rare items it works pretty well.

I know some people who do Lego reviews on Youtube and want to be one of the first people in the U.S. to have it/review it pay extra money to ship it from overseas. (The 75021 Republic Attack Gunship is being sold on eBay for around $235 including shipping. The retail price in the U.S. is $119.99.) Not many, but some people already have posted reviews for it.

Count me out I guess.......just because someone is ignorant is no reason to take advantage of them, for me anyway.

Spoken like a true liberal :P

But common look at it this way. There's 2 of a set listed one for 600 one for 1000. I'm

Gonna list mine for 1500 knowing that these other two will sell eventually. There is a possibility someone else will list another but if they don't the lowest asking price will be 1500. Just a waiting game

Except for my family, I do not have any problem putting a price tag on anything in my possession. If someone is willing to pay twice the going rate for my house, I would say where am I signing the papers. I do not see how that is different than pricing my stocks of LEGO.

Count me out I guess.......just because someone is ignorant is no reason to take advantage of them, for me anyway.

Wait, so if someone offers to buy your old car for more than its worth, meaning enough to buy a brand new one and take your wife to fancy dinner, you would refuse to sell the car ? With all due respect, I call BS on that
  • Like 1

The unfortunate part of any business, is that, generally, it becomes easier to make money the less ethical you are about it.

Not to say everyone who lists high is acting without ethics, but in general, some people are willing to compromise thier morals for the extra buck.

Other's will take the loss to preserve their principles.

Like anything else, it's a balancing act.

Guest ph4tb0i

it's fun to sell to the "i don't care about prices/what i buy" crowd. Managed to unload a Wii Mini for 50% profit last christmas.. hahahaha