NEW FORUM HELP AND FAQs...

Ed/Jeff,

Just tried logout hitting the logout button when I hit the login button on the upper right corner and then it said you have logged in and have the logout button of the message and when I hit that (since I have to do that in order to log me into the forum), this shows up:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
        <customErrors mode="Off"/>
    </system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
        <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
    </system.web>
</configuration>

Just thought I let you know..

I'll let Jeff know....

That's no hippy, it's a fortune teller. It tells everyone that you can see the future of Lego. You should be glad, I'm a troll, and before that I was a broke bald guy. Anyway I think the ranks are neato.

The troll is based on the finance term...Comptroller.  As for some of these errors, they will be addressed in the next week or so.  The forum conversion is not a simple process and unfortunately, the programming language that the forums are written in is not what Jeff works with, so he is learning it and hiring people to help him with issues.

+1

rcdb1984, I'm saying this as a friend and for your own protection. We don't reply with "+1" posts anymore. If you simply want to "+1" someone, then just click on the green up arrow in the bottom right hand corner of that persons post. A couple of similiar posts were made recently under the new forum system and received a thumbs down for doing so.

• Like 1

Guest AnnexBrett

Hi,

The new forum is awesome! However I got lots of error messages. I am logged in to the site and upon clicking on a forum topic, its sending me an " error, you need to be signed in to see the forum". I click on the sign in option (assuming I am not logged in) and it says 'you are already logged in". And it goes around like this unless I log out, go to the forum page, click on the specific topic and then sign in, every single time. Even when I surfing between different topics.

Please advise if this is only with me or this is a known issue of the new forum!

Thanks a million!

Hi,

The new forum is awesome! However I got lots of error messages. I am logged in to the site and upon clicking on a forum topic, its sending me an " error, you need to be signed in to see the forum". I click on the sign in option (assuming I am not logged in) and it says 'you are already logged in". And it goes around like this unless I log out, go to the forum page, click on the specific topic and then sign in, every single time. Even when I surfing between different topics.

Please advise if this is only with me or this is a known issue of the new forum!

Thanks a million!

It's not just you.  We do have a solution and it will be quite a change on the site.  We will give details probably tomorrow on our game plan.   Overall, everything should be implemented by the end of the week, but in the end, these login issues will be behind us.  I am away at the moment, so that's why not much has happened over the past few days, but I will be back in full swing by Thursday and we will get this thing working for everyone.  Just an early heads up now, there will probably be some small downtime here and there as I fix this.  Shouldn't be for long, but will be needed.

Can someone post a quick tutorial on how to use the media functions? Like, how do I post a picture I've found, instead of a link? And you guys who post videos from youtube, you're like gods to me. I feel like I should go back to writing on a rock with a chisel. Now, before you all start shouting "Duh" and smacking your foreheads: I use an iPad 1. The iPad 1's most extravagant file sharing options are copy and paste. Anyway, a bit of help would be cool :)

Can someone post a quick tutorial on how to use the media functions? Like, how do I post a picture I've found, instead of a link? And you guys who post videos from youtube, you're like gods to me. I feel like I should go back to writing on a rock with a chisel. Now, before you all start shouting "Duh" and smacking your foreheads: I use an iPad 1. The iPad 1's most extravagant file sharing options are copy and paste. Anyway, a bit of help would be cool :)

Well posting a video is an easy copy and paste if you want a simple embedded video. Just copy the html link from the address box at the top of the browser window and paste it anywhere into your post. The system does the rest automatically

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQbF1mxYEVY

As for images, that is a little trickier. For most general sites, you can right click over the image, highlight and select Properties. After the Properties window comes up, highlight the Address text and copy that. Now in your reply, click the icon that looks like a snapshot with a tree and a window opens saying Image Properties followed by a URL textbox. Paste the link into that. Click OK and that's it.

5478789238_79d8efa6df_z.jpg

This can work with flickr but there is a different and easier way of handling that site called BBCode. All you have to do is when looking at a image on flickr is click on the icon that looks like a square with an arrow coming out of it, select Grab the HTML/BBCode, pick the size you wish from the dropdown menu, click on the textbox and copy. (It automatically highlights all the text you need for you.) Go to your reply and paste. Done as done.

6422574037_6c0f7822c9_z.jpg

2271 Crown Vipera by halfbeak, on Flickr

I have a feeling that created more questions than answers. I do most of this so 'normally' I don't really think about the whole process.

I'm not sure where to post this exactly but here goes. I am having a wierd visual hiccup with my Friends page. For some reason, Strytlr is not showing up on mine and I'm not showing up on hers at all and I have no idea why. The option "Add me as a friend" is not showing up but instead the "Remove me as a friend" is, implying Strytlr is already added on as a friend but not showing up as one. I don't know how to fix this or why it is even happening to begin with.

After much thought, I had an idea for a thread topic that would have screenshots and quick "How to's" to work with the new forum system like how to post images or embed videos and stuff like that. Do you think that may help?

I'm not sure where to post this exactly but here goes. I am having a wierd visual hiccup with my Friends page. For some reason, Strytlr is not showing up on mine and I'm not showing up on hers at all and I have no idea why. The option "Add me as a friend" is not showing up but instead the "Remove me as a friend" is, implying Strytlr is already added on as a friend but not showing up as one. I don't know how to fix this or why it is even happening to begin with.

One of you didn't approve each other as friends.  I think Strytlr needed to approve you.  You should be seeing her in your list now.

One of you didn't approve each other as friends. I think Strytlr needed to approve you. You should be seeing her in your list now.

Wait, we can approve friends ? When someone added me as a friend I just saw a message and our profiles were updated without any action on my part.

Okay, I'm seeing her in my list of Friends but not the other way around. :blink:

Perhaps she accidentally removed you as friend?

ETA: nevermind I saw the otion under settings to approve friends requests. Orcking, she probably had the option on and has not approved your request (yet)