Questions about box damage and tape seals

Hi

Pretty new to buying Lego as an investment but I bought a set from the online Lego store. Today it arrived via FedEx. When I opened the shipping box, I noticed the internal Lego set box was damaged. The corner is a bit concertinad. Looking at the shipping box, i realized this too was damaged. The package was squashed or dropped on the corner.

My question is, is it worth a complaint to either Lego or FedEx? From Lego's point of view it doesn't affect the quality of the Lego pieces or the ability to build the set, so why should they replace/refund or whatever?

From FedEx's point of view, they didn't pack it so could argue if the contents were damaged it's Lego's fault for inadequate packing. On the other hand perhaps they've been negligent in handling the package?

Either way, would people normally complain about such 'superficial' damage? Does it affect the investment value? 

Thanks

LG

is it worth a complaint to either Lego or FedEx?

No, it will be a waste of time...

Either way, would people normally complain about such 'superficial' damage?

Most of the time they just roll with it. Don't forget to put a picture of the corner when you will resell your set.

Does it affect the investment value?

damage10.jpg

Yes, a little.

Edited by biniou

I need the boards help with this situation.  My Sandcrawler arrived today by fedex with damage - see pic.  I bought it from Lego.com USA. The box is still selaed and I believe everything inside is probably ok.  But after spending $300 I really wanted a clean box.  What would you do in this situation?

I hate to return it.  I think I have 3 options -

1)  There's a Lego store nearby - maybe I could swap it for a clean one

2)  Ask Lego.com for a partial refund.  Is this posslble?

3)  Return it to Lego.com and ask them to ship a replacement (which could also arrive damaged).

They double box the Death Stars.  IMO they should double box all the big sets.

Thanks for your help.

post-33094-0-86395100-1424378444_thumb.j

lego most likely won't give you a partial refund or free vip points.  they will ask you to return it.

since the set itself isn't damage, there is a good chance they won't give you a prepaid label.  so if you are certain about box condition, return it to the store and ignore the strange looks. 

if you are going to build it, just keep it and be happy while building.

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/9779-building-the-75059-sandcrawler

I need the boards help with this situation.  My Sandcrawler arrived today by fedex with damage - see pic.  I bought it from Lego.com USA. The box is still selaed and I believe everything inside is probably ok.  But after spending $300 I really wanted a clean box.  What would you do in this situation?

I hate to return it.  I think I have 3 options -

1)  There's a Lego store nearby - maybe I could swap it for a clean one

2)  Ask Lego.com for a partial refund.  Is this posslble?

3)  Return it to Lego.com and ask them to ship a replacement (which could also arrive damaged).

They double box the Death Stars.  IMO they should double box all the big sets.

Thanks for your help.

In the last three weeks i have been finding large sets at both Walmart and Target where someone has stolen some of the contents then attempted to reseal the tape and then returns it to the store for full refund. I can tell because the sets are way lighter than they should be and you can see where they messed with the original tape seal. I hope the catch the moron doing this. I think Lego needs to switch to gluing the boxes shut instead of tape. 

All things being equal besides the condition of the box, someone is gonna buy my MISB set first ;)

For all things to be equal, you will have to price your sets equal to those that are damaged.  If the damaged box is $5 less, the buyer will often choose that one.

In other words, to compete with the damaged boxes, you have to lower your prices.  If that's the case, why worry about box condition?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As everyone here is aware, the large lego boxes are occasionally received in crushed/creased condition.  I just got a large order from Target, and other than the DS shipped in the original container, most of the large boxes were crushed or creased, in various degrees from slight to significant.  Otherwise, the boxes are ok, with no scratches, etc.  

Now, here's the question:  Is it better to open the box and fix the crushes (fairly easy to do) or leave them sealed and in the as-recieved condition.  Of course, you can return these, but I got a discount on these sets I won't be able to easily repeat, so really do want to keep them.  I've had good success in pressing out the various crushed boxes with other sets.   I'd lean toward fixing the boxes, even if it means opening them.   I've even thought of making a tool to insert into a sealed box to help press out the damage.  Thoughts?

I agree .. don't try to fix the box. I'd be wary of trying to fix without opening... you risk poking a bag or the instruction sleeve.

Crushing and creasing are very different though. Personally only the snootiest of box snobs will care about a crease in the box. They are pretty hard to avoid especially with the bigger exclusives. I tend to stay away from NISB sets if I can with big crushing though so you might try getting an additional discount on those ones to give you some extra head room.

I recently sold a 7965 with some what I would say was minor/moderate box damage for a few bucks off... Frankly it was worth my time to just sell for less (I think it was $7 less in the end) rather than trying to "fix" it by opening it.