Questions about box damage and tape seals

are they worth more?

yes and no.  10179s still in their factory shipping boxes are somewhat desired.  however, some people will still crack open the shipping box to verify the set inside.

i had two MISB 7888 Tumblers in their single shipping box (box wasn't sealed).  The buyer didn't even want the shipping box so I ended up throwing it out.  Not enough people care.  They buy sets to either build or admire the MISB aspect (and then maybe build)

i have Helm's Deep sets in their shipping box so we'll see how that goes once it comes time to ship.   My MISB 10188s are in their open shipping box also.  i think my 1st 10221 is also in the shipping box (opened).

concluding, i honestly feel sets with an included shipping box will command about the same price as one sealed.  why?  buyers are still getting the shipping box and are able to look at the set.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

My son's school was cancelled today due to weather so we are building the Republic Gunship that Santa got him. For years I have always kept Lego boxes folded flat after cutting the seals. A few years ago I started removing the tape seals altogether, especially in the winter time since I can warm them up with the airflow from our woodburner. I can get them completely removed and all residue as well so it's normally impossible to tell they were ever there. So the question is, if you were buying a 10 or 15 year old used set with original box, would you prefer the seals are removed or not? Any thoughts on how this might affect value if at all? Thanks for your input.

My school of thought is that once the box is open and the LEGOs are used the box carries little to no value.

For items like you mention 10-15 yrs old. My main concern would be:

1. Whether all the parts are present
  2. Condition of individual bricks (cracks, marks, fading/UV damage etc.)
  3. If the set comes with the original instructions

Now there are some people that are total Box Art fanatics. Having the box is a plus, but I don't think it will increase the value once the set is used.

We keep all of our boxes as well. We flatten them and put them on a shelf. Seals are left on the box.

My son's school was cancelled today due to weather so we are building the Republic Gunship that Santa got him. For years I have always kept Lego boxes folded flat after cutting the seals. A few years ago I started removing the tape seals altogether, especially in the winter time since I can warm them up with the airflow from our woodburner. I can get them completely removed and all residue as well so it's normally impossible to tell they were ever there. So the question is, if you were buying a 10 or 15 year old used set with original box, would you prefer the seals are removed or not? Any thoughts on how this might affect value if at all? Thanks for your input

School was closed for my daughter and myself today as well. We love snow days, we build lego as well. . Today, we built the friends lighthouse set, and I'm working a M.O.C of my welding lab.. 

I take the tape off as well. I figure once we open, build and play with the set, it's not MISB of NSIB anymore, so might as well take the tape off to prevent discoloration and peeling of the tape.  

I don't flatten the boxes, may I should, I would have more room to store more Lego..  HEHEHEH :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JazzyJeffie

What is the difference of MISP (Mint in Sealed Pack) and NISP (New in Sealed Pack)?  If a pack is sealed, isn't it NEW, because it was never opened?

The reason I want to ask this question is that I'm coming from an Action Figure collecting hobby, and we only have MISB (Mint in Sealed Box) or MOSC (Mint on Sealed Card) and never had to use "******" for new (at least in the forums I was a member of, like Sideshow.com and OneSixthWarriors.com).

Your clarification is greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

I agree with Bold-Arrow's definition, but just be aware - in the world of Lego, anyway - these terms mean different things to different people.  Though mint usually suggests a higher level of quality, you cannot be certain.  If you are looking at 2 listings for the same item, one listed as MISB and the other as NISB, you cannot assume that one is in better condition than the other.  If you are concerned about the package quality, it is always wise to ask the seller with specific questions as to what you are concerned about.  I sometimes ask things like:

"You list the item as NISB... is the box in great condition?  For me, some light shelf wear, or minor creases are acceptable, but I do not like deep creases, folds, crushed corners, abrasions, tears, punctures, etc."

This will turn off some sellers, but - if there are lots of sellers in the same price range - I don't need to deal with sellers who don't want to deal with me.

Edited by Kenxxx

I would reserve the MISB designation for when you know the box has no imperfections.

"Mint" designates (to me) a quality that a collector would want to have.

One thing that I try to do is take very good pictures of what I'm selling. Leave no room for interpretation. When listing online I never use stock images unless they are in addition to my own.

You can always cover yourself by stating: "Box may show signs of shelf wear"

for more expensive sets that I buy from B&M shops I always note if there are marks from spider security devices.

It seems that buyers in the US are more lenient about box condition that other countries like the UK.

Not sure how the market is in the Philipines.

Agree with all of the above. I know some people just go ahead and mark everything as NISB, because someone else`s idea of MISB may be different, and thus you have an issue. I`ve done this form day one as a seller, everything goes NISB even if it may be MISB, I just fear someone getting the item and making a fuss over some minor imperfection that they perceive as being different form what I would. Paranoid maybe, but I don`t want the headache. Doesn`t affect the value that much if at all anyway, so you can either play it safe or not. All depends on how you want to list/sell whatever set it is you are selling.  

• Like 2

I know some hold MISB as a holy grail, but "mint" condition retail packaging just seems silly to me. I'm not a fan of popped seals, punctures (they could damage instructions, etc.), or pancakes, but a little wear and tear is fine.

But always--ALWAYS--disclose box condition to buyers. Under promise and over deliver.

• Like 1

What is the difference of MISP (Mint in Sealed Pack) and NISP (New in Sealed Pack)?  If a pack is sealed, isn't it NEW, because it was never opened?

The reason I want to ask this question is that I'm coming from an Action Figure collecting hobby, and we only have MISB (Mint in Sealed Box) or MOSC (Mint on Sealed Card) and never had to use "******" for new (at least in the forums I was a member of, like Sideshow.com and OneSixthWarriors.com).

Your clarification is greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

I've always used MISB or NISB interchangeably depending on the selling platform, thou "mint" more for near-perfect condition of the box & "new" more for a box that has some visible damage (along with detailed info of course)

NISP however is used when the item comes in a package other than a box (polybag, bubble-card, supplemental or service-pack packaging etc.)  It's happened on occasion that a fussy buyer buys without looking at the photos for whatever reason & expects to receive a box it's just one more way to have a more accurately detailed description (for them to also not read) if there was ever a question or investigation.

Hi, I generally buy new sealed sets as long term investments. Whilst browsing ebay today, bored at work, I came across a newly listed FB for

Edited by jaisonline
Edit title to avoid confusion with polar bears, seals, and Lego tape seals :)

it depends on the buyer.  we have many threads and some blog articles about this topic.

blog link = http://blog.brickpicker.com/community-lego-blogs/a-quick-flip-method-buying-sealed-sets-with-no-box/

some buyers like new seats (sealed bags) in opened boxes since they can make sure everything is there.  the set is still new.

other buyers demand sealed boxes even if the boxes are damaged.  they value those 4 tape seals even if there is still a chance not all the contents are there.

in my experience, the diff in value is small and really only matters with important sets like 10179, 10178, 10181, etc... (10% maybe).

Hi, I generally buy new sealed sets as long term investments. Whilst browsing ebay today, bored at work, I came across a newly listed FB for

you would need the seller to confirm all the bags are there. we have a thread that is about how many sealed bags per box.

like the 1980s GI Joe cartoon, knowing is half the battle.

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/10178-number-of-sealed-bags-in-each-lego-set/?hl=sealed

Thanks that is very helpful. So arguably the most important thing with a new set is sealed bags as a buyer can then be certain everything is there and it has not been built before?

• Like 1