Questions about box damage and tape seals

That`s frustrating to hear. You just can`t please some people. This really is one of the things where people should just "get it" (as in, understand that the tape is still considered factory sealed) yet they don`t. Honestly, I`ve seen this sort of thing more then once and thought nothing more then to just note seeing it. Sorry but I don`t know what to tell you. Wish I did. The fact that people can be so stubborn in filing a Paypal claim for this just blows  :blink:

• Like 1

Hi,

recently I sell a set to a BL buyer. He is complaining that one of the sealed tape had another sealed tape on top of it. He is saying the bottom tape is like cutted, then the new tape is covering the cutted tape.

Does this happening to anyone?

the new sealed tape that is on top the cutted tape is still from LEGO.

Will LEGO got it back and check for all parts and resealed it instead of putting them in a new box?

attachicon.gif62FBE1BE-F38B-4124-A136-6AFDE749148E.png

That was prob. purchased at a toysarus. When I returned a lego to toysarus even tho it was sealed the employee opened it with a knife and checked the contents and than put another lego sticker over the one she had cut.

This happens at Toys R Us and at the Lego store itself. I returned a set at the Lego Store and they opened it with a Razor Blade and checked the bags in the box to make sure it wasn't tampered and Minifigs are still there. So yes they do do this and put it back on the shelf for the next person to buy.

In my opinion, this no longer qualifies as New condition/Sealed box, since the box has been opened by the previous buyer who returned it back to the store.  If I were the ebay buyer and if the set is for my own collection, I'd probably let go.   But I buy it as investment, I am pretty sure I would want money back too, but I wouldn't file a dispute without trying to resolve the issue first though.

Guest TabbyBoy

I used to buy from TRU - no more.  I once bought a Batcave and noticed that the box had been opened and then retaped with what looked like proper Lego tape. To my horror when opening, I noticed that the minifigs were missing.  We all know that some staff are "thieves" esp. with the Mr Gold fiasco.  It is was me, I'd take the hit and offer the buyer a full refund or replacement and then take the set back to where it was purchased.  I've not used BL so, I don't know if they have a feedback system like eBay or not.

I've not listed Lego on eBay yet but, when I do, I'll put "Even though this set is new and unused, there may be slight shipping wear or minor cosmetic damage to the box which is beyond my control.  If you are concerned with a MINT condition box, please consider this BEFORE purchasing."

Guest TabbyBoy

This is also the reason why I only buy large exclusive/expensive sets from LEGO Shop at Home or Amazon (direct not resellers) as I've not had a retaped box yet.  Any expensive retaped box will be returned in a heartbeat.  Anything costing

In my opinion, this no longer qualifies as New condition/Sealed box, since the box has been opened by the previous buyer who returned it back to the store.  If I were the ebay buyer and if the set is for my own collection, I'd probably let go.   But I buy it as investment, I am pretty sure I would want money back too, but I wouldn't file a dispute without trying to resolve the issue first though.

They just said the clerk opened it, not the buyer. I don't see how its the next person who buy's it that should suffer?

Looks fine to me.  If all the contents are there I'm not sure I would organize a mob or anything over it.  If there are two tape seals and only one looks like it got fixed I think it would be tough to slip anything out of the box.

only 1 of the 2 tapes was like that. so I am pretty sure it shouldn't able to slip something out of the box.

But the buyer, looks like he buys it for resell...

even I offer full refund with I pay the shipping back, and he is still complaining.

that's a big $120 lost since he is from Canada.

• 1 month later...

I just bought a Vampire Castle from TRU and all the seals were double taped. One side clearly was opened and resealed. The funny thing is that they had 5 of them, and every single one was the same way. I really believe this may have been done at the factory for some reason. I hate to return it, but if it's going to effect the value, then it isn't worth keeping.

all the VC in TRU and LEGO Shop at Home all had double tapes on them.

I dont know if it will hurt the value, but I only can assume they are re-sealed in LEGO.

Since all 60 boxes I bought are the same. (from different TRU store, and LEGO Shop at Home).

the 20 boxes I got from TRU, when they get them from me at the back, they are all in sealed LEGO shipping boxes.

I haven't personally seen this before but Im anal about my boxes, so I look at every corner before buying but I don't particularly look at the seals. When I order and receive a damage box I take it back to my local lego store and exchange it. But overall lego usually produces suburb boxes so I rarely have any issues. Though I don't think this is really major to exchange it, if it makes you fell better lego usually more than ok to do it for you(with receipt). Just be more careful next time :) . Good Luck!

I have bought VCs from different places, yoyo.com, Target, Amazon, LEGO Shop at Home, TRU, and all boxes have double sealed tapes.

Thats not true. Not all sets are doubled seals. The regular box has a pair (bottom and top) of seals for a total of 4 seals. They have ends that have seals for folding reasons. Double sealed would mean they would uses 8 seals instead of the current 4.

Man sorry to hear bout your problem. i had that same issue when i bought VC from toys r us.  Maybe you can call or email Lego and ask them why they are being double taped? Hopefully your buyer will understand that its new and you didn't tamper with it. good luck!

When I spoke to a LEGO representative about this issue, she stated that LEGO does NOT allow merchants to take back opened packages unless it was defective.

She also stated that LEGO does not resell open packages, but they were destroyed.

Personally, I have seen those "double-taped" jobs that were meticulously done;  and based on what I found inside those packages (loose pieces without bags, missing pieces, etc.), some d-bags are opening boxes, taking out what they want, resealing them and returning them to a store.

So I just pay very close attention to those seals...

• 5 weeks later...

Not as cool as poppin' tags like Mackelmore. 

Question for the forum. Storing sets long term, do you ever run into seals coming randomly loose? I received a set today I bought on eBay to keep unopened for my collection, and all 4 of the sticker seals were very loose and falling off. The contents all appear to be there. I have not noticed this with any of my sets I have held for multiple years (of which I have had a few, even though I have ramped up my investing only in the last year).

The set is the Tantive IV, so I am skeptical that someone wasn't checking for the smooth hair Leia error, then carefully tried to reseal it. i sent the seller a note (could be a Brickpicker?).