Questions about box damage and tape seals

Is it better to open the box and fix the crushes (fairly easy to do) or leave them sealed and in the as-recieved condition.

​It depends... if it's highly crushed or not, and what kind of box (expensive, rare, etc.) it is.

Overall I would say that a "box opened to check the inside, and yeah everything's fine, no missing bag" is better than a "sealed box but I don't know if the inside is damaged due to the condition of the box" (a cockpit could have been crushed, who knows... as said before: it depends...)

As everyone here is aware, the large lego boxes are occasionally received in crushed/creased condition.  I just got a large order from Target, and other than the DS shipped in the original container, most of the large boxes were crushed or creased, in various degrees from slight to significant.  Otherwise, the boxes are ok, with no scratches, etc.  

Now, here's the question:  Is it better to open the box and fix the crushes (fairly easy to do) or leave them sealed and in the as-recieved condition.  Of course, you can return these, but I got a discount on these sets I won't be able to easily repeat, so really do want to keep them.  I've had good success in pressing out the various crushed boxes with other sets.   I'd lean toward fixing the boxes, even if it means opening them.   I've even thought of making a tool to insert into a sealed box to help press out the damage.  Thoughts?

​I think it depends on the set and the severity of the damage. If it's a large set, I would not open the box to fix it unless the box is completely crushed. For smaller sets, if they box is damaged enough, I will remove the box and sell the set without it.

• 1 month later...

I thought there was a thread for this, but I couldn't find it. Anyways, I received a Palace Cinema from Amazon, and it looked like UPS had tried to kill the box. I understand it was not Amazon's fault. Called to get a replacement, and the CSR seemed a little pissed off. He processed the return and I got this in the mail. Completely beat up, seals opened, POS

20150619_145324_zpsbqxt0zod.jpg

I have a large collection of retired Star Wars sets that have been in my basement for 5-6 years that I'm getting ready to sell. I put about a dozen of them on eBay awhile back, and I was shocked when three of the buyers came back to say the new and sealed sets I'd sold them had missing minifigures or parts. I have multiples of each set, and when I examined the others I still have I could find no evidence of tampering (which I know can be difficult to detect). In one case I payed for the missing minifigures and had them shipped to the buyer, only to have the buyer come back an additional THREE TIMES asking for assorted parts they said were missing. As for the other two, after receiving scathing emails from both, I told them to contact Lego customer service to see if anything could be done. I was really surprised when I never heard back from either of them, and neither left negative feedback.

These last two instances in particular made me feel like I was possibly being shaken down. So my question - what's to keep someone from claiming this, and how have others dealt with this scenario? I could tell them to pack it up and send it back, but if they pay for it I'm sure they'll leave negative feedback and if I pay for it I'm out cash. Also, what could keep someone from removing the figs and sending the set back to me?

As you may can tell, I'm really disillusioned with selling these sets now. I'd always looked forward to parting with them down the road, but I have literally hundreds of sets I'd like to sell but I don't want to go down this road 20% of the time like I did previously. Any insights would be GREATLY appreciated - thanks so much!

I think there were some quality control issues around 2006? Sometime after Lego stopped manufacturing kits in the USA they had quality control with missing pieces and manuals, for a brief time. In 2009 I sold about 30 copies of 10175 Vader's Tie Advanced that I purchased from 3 different merchants: all were produced in 2006. Three different sales had missing pieces complaints. The missing pieces were not proprietary and the Buyers ranged from adult, to gift for child. I have read on different forums other reports of missing pieces from other 2006 production kits also. I telephone Lego and they sent out replacement pieces without any issue to ll three Buyers. I would not call Lego again for 3 different addresses with their witch-hunt for resellers today, but back then resellers were embraced with open arms by Lego. 

Edited by Average Guy
punctuation

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone, just got a couple of 10240 X-Wings today, and both boxes were great overall, except one of them had a crease on the front (see pic below).  Is this enough to send it back for a swap, or do you think it will affect it's potential resale value very much?

Thanks in advance for the input!

xwing.thumb.jpg.ef69ec87cfeb12de1b852344

Hey everyone, just got a couple of 10240 X-Wings today, and both boxes were great overall, except one of them had a crease on the front (see pic below).  Is this enough to send it back for a swap, or do you think it will affect it's potential resale value very much?

Thanks in advance for the input!

We have several pages of answers here, but all in all, the consensus is sorta "NO impact really".

Edited by exciter1
  • Like 2

We have several pages of answers here, but all in all, the consensus is sorta "NO impact really".

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!  The only thing that is bugging me about the damaged box is it keeps calling me to open it and build it.  :mad:

But I'm going to try and be strong and keep it unopened.

• 2 weeks later...

I originally bought this set (70709) at around 75% off as a gift or to build. But who really wants to be the a-hole gifting Galaxy Squad sets, or building them for that matter!? (I do like the buildable bugs in these sets though)

So I thought about selling it for a $30+ profit, but I noticed the original seals on the production date side have been sealed over with new official LEGO seals that have a later production date. It looks like only 1 of the original seals was cut before they re-sealed it.

I think it was from Target and normally I am good about checking the seals prior to purchase, but this one slipped by me.

Anyone else ever seen this on a set?

70709_1.jpg

70709_2.jpg

I originally bought this set (70709) at around 75% off as a gift or to build. But who really wants to be the a-hole gifting Galaxy Squad sets, or building them for that matter!? (I do like the buildable bugs in these sets though)

So I thought about selling it for a $30+ profit, but I noticed the original seals on the production date side have been sealed over with new official LEGO seals that have a later production date. It looks like only 1 of the original seals was cut before they re-sealed it.

I think it was from Target and normally I am good about checking the seals prior to purchase, but this one slipped by me.

/uploads/monthly_2015_10/70709_1.jpg.bf81cf0d96cdb8b827219b9a85c6c043.jpg">70709_1.thumb.jpg.d33346abbaa2e1394e9bdca52bc3dcee.jpg

/uploads/monthly_2015_10/70709_2.jpg.f03c3d9b4f969cae8e86ed6b756272d1.jpg">70709_2.thumb.jpg.72fd3dadc29b8463ff29c183e032a5bc.jpg

I have from TRU & I returned them...

For 75% off, I'd probably open it for piece of mind when selling...

• Like 1

I have a couple Vampire Castles with double seals.  Came from TRU.com.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Patrickkoh said:

There is a longer seal tape (without code) above the original seal tape (46S9) that seems has been cut before re-seal it .

Anyone seen this kind of seal tape? Is this originally done from LEGO factory?

Plenty of sets have had double seals straight from LEGO... Usually it was to fix a production problem. I think Tower of Orthanc is the most recent example of a large set having double seals but not sure about an older set like the Grand Carousel. Someone will come along eventually who will have a better answer!

Guest TabbyBoy

To cover myself when selling, I describe the box slightly worse than it actually is and use good photos. This way buyers are pleased when they receive something better than expected. There are some sellers that only sell sets unboxed and I'm now beginning to understand why. Why are buyers so bloody demanding? Is the box more important than the contents?

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up a bunch of these over the last cpl weeks but since having to get them from WM the boxes arent the greatest and have the spider strap marks as well as heavy scuffing on the bottom. One or two are creased significantly or have a corner crush. I would never buy a set in this condition as a collector, especially at an elevated price like they have been selling for recently since EOL. I am beginning to understand that most buyers dont care about the box condition as long as its sealed. 

My question is though as a seller how should a describe it in the listing without putting buyers off, but also by not having someone come back and want a refund cus the box wasnt Mint? I feel like if I describe it how I as a collector I would want it described I might inadvertently push away a potential buyer who may otherwise not have worried about it. Any advise would be great.

Thanx

12 minutes ago, longshot said:

I picked up a bunch of these over the last cpl weeks but since having to get them from WM the boxes arent the greatest and have the spider strap marks as well as heavy scuffing on the bottom. One or two are creased significantly or have a corner crush. I would never buy a set in this condition as a collector, especially at an elevated price like they have been selling for recently since EOL. I am beginning to understand that most buyers dont care about the box condition as long as its sealed. 

My question is though as a seller how should a describe it in the listing without putting buyers off, but also by not having someone come back and want a refund cus the box wasnt Mint? I feel like if I describe it how I as a collector I would want it described I might inadvertently push away a potential buyer who may otherwise not have worried about it. Any advise would be great.

Thanx

If a box is a little damaged, I usually say 'box show shelf wear and has minor creases and dents see photos for box condition. ' This way you cover yourself and avoid any disappointment for your customers. The more honest you are the less you have to worry.

Yeah you will put some people off, but tbh sometimes box snobs are more trouble than they're worth. Most people just don't care that much.

• Like 2

From my experience once the item is retired as long as you list it with the "shelf wear" or "has crease" etc you will sell it just as fast as the other mint box.  I however always discount these sets a little bit from the going price.   I have not had an issue and if it is bad looking have a picture of the area affected to show the buyer.  

5 minutes ago, TheGallows said:

If a box is a little damaged, I usually say 'box show shelf wear and has minor creases and dents see photos for box condition. ' This way you cover yourself and avoid any disappointment for your customers. The more honest you are the less you have to worry.

Yeah you will put some people off, but tbh sometimes box snobs are more trouble than they're worth. Most people just don't care that much.

I seem to have slowly start to come to that understanding. And this is coming from a self proclaimed "box snob". Tough to shed the "collector" skin sometimes and just look at what the avg person is looking for. Tough though when you've been told condition is everything for so long. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheGallows said:

I always say shelf wear or a little damage.  I make sure to add that if they have questions over the box condition, please contact me before buying.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

I always say shelf wear or a little damage.  I make sure to add that if they have questions over the box condition, please contact me before buying.

Exactly... Good pics, show entire box in good light, highlight 2-3 worst flaw close up. Always emphasize actual holes, tears, or bad seals. Most buyers won't care, and us box snobs won't get our hopes up based on misleading or incomplete description.

I've sold dozens of older "minty" sets and only about 3 buyers cared enough to ever ask/confirm condition. None complained. I stopped over-describing a couple years ago and sales seemed to improve. You'll notice many high ending auctions are stock pics with blank description. Do better, but don't sweat it too much.

Edited by Grynn

52 minutes ago, TheGallows said:

Can confirm, someone sent back the GBH back to me because of a tiny crease on the box I sold to her for $35 + FS. I told her to send it back to me and I will pay for the returning shipping cost. Sold it the same day I received it for $72 + $5 shipping. The box was more damaged when it came back to me. New customer didn't care.

Edited by Lego_Monsters
  • Like 1