Why do people pay more than retail on eBay?

c4dreams

I'm sure this happens with non-Lego items as well, but I've noticed that the Passenger Train 7938 sells for $160 on eBay, yet it's still available from Lego for $130. Even with tax and shipping it's still cheaper to get it from Lego (plus you get VIP points). So why do people buy off eBay? I actually sold two Red Cargo Trains for over retail a year ago when it was still readily available. I just don't get it. I'm curious how many sets this occurs for. Retail is for suckers, so what are the people who pay MORE than retail? (and yes, I wish I still had those red cargo trains)

Well, I know I can speak for myself, sometimes I get carried away with bidding on an item and really want to just WIN. I could care less about the item, but I want to beat the other guy, so I bid...and sometimes I spend a little more money than I want. This is usually what new eBayers do. Now I myself am more experienced, so I don't get carried away. ;)

People pay more at my EBAY store because of my AWESOME customer service and fast shipping. Go to walmart, pay less for unfriendly, unknowledgable workers who could care less if you shop there or not. This is why many mom and pop shops survive - AWESOME customer service. Not every EBAY seller has this, I'm just talking about MY EBAY store.