41999 - 4x4 Crawler Exclusive Edition

Rich B

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has been dead for more than a week. I think it's time to put it back to life again!

I've sold 8 of those 41999 for the past month and have made quite a nice profit with it. On eBay, I've sold them 3 at 400$ US and one at 390$ US. Locally, 4 at 360, 370, 375 and 380 CAD, no fees whatsoever. I think the prices are getting back up from the recent sales on eBay. Hang on people!

Yeah I have been watching the prices on eBay as well. During the holiday it was around $320 with free Shipping, and now it has moved up to $345-350 with free shipping as the lowest. Give it a few more months and these things will be back to what they were before since there were a lot of people trying to get rid of them for holiday $$$$. 

I have 6 mint sets left...5 are actually my wife's, she's planning to keep them until prices are back up at $500 again (hopefully).  I've sold previous sets locally from $350-$500 each.  It is nice selling a bigger set and getting decent cash flow back for regular spending.  I'm glad my wife has a different investment strategy then I :)  Would be nice to keep a couple sets long term (+5yrs from now) and see what happens. 

I have 6 mint sets left...5 are actually my wife's, she's planning to keep them until prices are back up at $500 again (hopefully).  I've sold previous sets locally from $350-$500 each.  It is nice selling a bigger set and getting decent cash flow back for regular spending.  I'm glad my wife has a different investment strategy then I :)  Would be nice to keep a couple sets long term (+5yrs from now) and see what happens. 

I have 8 myself and will try to hold onto 1 - 2 for a 3 or more year horizon as well. 

Guest brickcrazyhouse

really.  yes there's meat on the bone but i'ld rather get three simpson houses instead.  they could make you money both in the quick flip and much more down the road.  if you were going to hold the crawlers you shoulda jump on the boat right from the start

Honestly I`d say try and buy FB or even GE at this point. The latter should retire in the next year or so, as it has been around for a while now. $315 isn`t bad, and if I came across them, I`d be buying. It`s not a bad investment to pick them up IMHO, but I do think there are other sets that could make more money quicker. Who knows, it may jump in value again this year/Christmas and then you`de be sorry for not picking them up. If you can spare the cash and don`t mind waiting for some time, which seems more likely, I would do it. It`s just too limited a set for now to do poorly. Ya, I would likely pull the trigger in your shoes. 

It depends, to me, on how savy you are and how much capital you have. If trying to diversify, I think this set has a much higher ceiling that everything else mentioned. And it probably wont ever be brought back or anything else. Modulars can be watered down by more and more of them, remakes, and the Simspons house wont retire for years.

I like this set and think it will get pretty high. It will take a while, but less sets making the good money is better to me than a lot of sets making a little more money. I like simplicity.

Well, 315$ is not the ideal entry price you'd like to pay, but like you said, holding them for a year is surely going to give you back a lot more money. I'm guessing it'll sell for 450-500$ (USD) in a year. My arguments :

- LEGO Technic are targeted for AFOLs. They're the ones with money.

- It's exclusive and only 20 000 were made. Everyday, more and more of those are getting assembled by AFOLs, meaning there are less and less of those 41999 in MISB condition. So rarity is increasing daily.

- They were sold out only a couple of weeks after release. Resellers/investors took all of them, meaning that a lot of people who wanted it couldn't get their hands on it.

- It's not the flagship of the LEGO Technic branch, but it's a large set. Adult builders like a challenge and I'm sure this one is a worthy challenge.

In conclusion, it's certainly a much better investment than a safe placement at your bank!

• Like 1

I can pick up a 41999 crawler with slight box damage for $270. Deal? I can open to enjoy the set for a year and sell on ebay to break even right?

I`d buy, but would keep it sealed (unless you truly want to build it of course.) There will be more money in sealed as opposed to used, as is pretty much always the case. If your plan is to build and break even, yes, I think you could do it. In a year though? It certainly is possible, many have high hopes for this set, but it`s not guaranteed. The prospects look good though, put it that way. 

Guest TabbyBoy

My confidence in this set has dropped a lot. Prices have freefallen and there's a danger that it will be forgotten about in time to come. I regret not selling mine straight away as we'll not see those prices again for many years. I'm in two minds to sell my last 6 now for a meagre profit and risk buyer hassle or just return them to LEGO. As for paying above RRP, not a chance for me.

My confidence in this set has dropped a lot. Prices have freefallen and there's a danger that it will be forgotten about in time to come. I regret not selling mine straight away as we'll not see those prices again for many years. I'm in two minds to sell my last 6 now for a meagre profit and risk buyer hassle or just return them to LEGO. As for paying above RRP, not a chance for me.

I'll take one off your hands for fifty quid  :thumbsup: