The Future of Lego Investing for Girls

Hadn't seen this in the stores before, but stumbled upon a shelf of lego friends series 2 pets.  Are these like the CMF?

In a way, yes. They're like a typical polybag with parts featuring a critter for a couple of bucks more than one Collectible Minifigure. There will be a Series 3 coming out in September (same time as Series 11 of the Minifigures line), and I would believe that Lego will release another trinity of these Friends Collectibles next year. I have no idea what those will be though.

In a way, yes. They're like a typical polybag with parts featuring a critter for a couple of bucks more than one Collectible Minifigure. There will be a Series 3 coming out in September (same time as Series 11 of the Minifigures line), and I would believe that Lego will release another trinity of these Friends Collectibles next year. I have no idea what those will be though.

Also each wave "retires" rather quickly. Wasn't Series 1 "retired" just a year (or less) after it was released? As new waves are released, the older ones start to increase in value. There will always be those late to the game who want to collect them all.

I would love to see Lego expand its "girl" line, but the themes I would like to see are more along the lines of Hunger Games and Twilight. Those to me would parallel the "boy" LOTR line. I think that these themes would appeal more to female AFOLs than disney princesses and even Friends. I also think that these themes could help bridge the existing gender divide with Lego, as HG and Twilight are popular among both pre-teen boys and girls.

I can understand since Lego's targeted age range is so young that is the reason behind them coming out in the beginning with many 'girly' set ideas and colors like Emma's Fashion Design Studio or Stephanie's Outdoor Bakery. The newest designs released are better than most of the first offerings but I think they could do even better by having more 'grown up' ideas. I'd like to see something like Mia's Hotrod Racecar or Olivia's Mega-Robosuit. :D

Can we really expect the theme to be a successful long term investment?  My understanding of what drives the secondary market in general is AFOLs.  Is Friends a theme that grown women are going to "need to have"?  I just don't see it.  If Lego started producing some themes that are less little kid girly girl (HG and Twilight are two that keep popping into my head), will grown women "need" to have those sets?  I'm not sure.

I've pondered about that too. I mean, there is only so far I can imagine cause I'm, well, me, and I'm not sure if the Barbie collecting market is a good indicator of anything. (That last bit probably sounded more stereotypical than I meant. I apologize.) I know the older 'girly' themes previously released (Paradisa, Belleville, Scala) have done well in the secondary market, so perhaps these will too? Hmm....

In the past year I have noticed Disney start to push The Little Mermaid. (The princesses have all received makeovers too...I like to think of it as "suffered through" makeovers :) ). After the initial wave and excitement of Disney Princess Duplo sets (The 2 Cinderella sets, 1 Sleeping Beauty, 1 Snow White), Wave 2 came out (2 Little Mermaid sets), and I have to say interest has waned immensely. Perhaps more than 1-2 minifigures per set would give them more appeal, especially since the each set is rather isolated. The future of this line is questionable IMO.

Regarding Friends sets, my belief is that the color scheme is what draws girls to them more than anything. Lego totally got that right. 

Also each wave "retires" rather quickly. Wasn't Series 1 "retired" just a year (or less) after it was released? As new waves are released, the older ones start to increase in value. There will always be those late to the game who want to collect them all.

I think Series 1 is about to be or getting ready to be retired. You can see on their website it shows all three from Series 1 with the Retiring Soon tag as well as stating Sold Out. I agree much like the Collectible Minifigures, people will want them all!

....Like Pokemon. :P

Regarding Friends sets, my belief is that the color scheme is what draws girls to them more than anything. Lego totally got that right.

You could be right on that. Those bright colors certainly catch my attention and they really do 'pop'.

For your information though, my mother loathes pink. :lol:

You could be right on that. Those bright colors certainly catch my attention and they really do 'pop'.

For your information though, my mother loathes pink. :lol:

Don't forget...it's not just the pink though. Purple and turquoise/aqua are just as appealing. Especially since turquoise has been an "in" color since a few years back. The midnight blue bricks in the upcoming Heartlake High set is also a great move on Lego's part. It's not the color so much that goes in and out of fashion as the "shade" of color (e.***., turquoise blue vs. teal blue vs. midnight blue). Think about car colors, guys :). One of the reasons I shy away from red, green, or blue when buying a car is because a shade of green that looks fresh and cool now will look quickly outdated in just a few years. 

Guest betsy805

In the past year I have noticed Disney start to push The Little Mermaid. (The princesses have all received makeovers too...I like to think of it as "suffered through" makeovers :) ). After the initial wave and excitement of Disney Princess Duplo sets (The 2 Cinderella sets, 1 Sleeping Beauty, 1 Snow White), Wave 2 came out (2 Little Mermaid sets), and I have to say interest has waned immensely. Perhaps more than 1-2 minifigures per set would give them more appeal, especially since the each set is rather isolated. The future of this line is questionable IMO.

For sure!  I resell lego by the pound and have a waiting list of people who want the 'girl color' lego whenever I stumble upon it.  The different shades of blue are my favorite.

Wizard of Oz would be a great licensed theme, if Wicked was made into an awesome movie, that could really start something. Great and Powerful Oz kinda hurts that idea because it sucked, but I would buy Wizard of Oz Lego even without a new movie. I like the Twilight and Hunger Games idea, appeals to a lot more people.

I love all the new colors also, I'm stocking up on Friends sets to part out, Mocer's are out there dreaming about these colors. I can't get enough of Friends, they are just so darn cute :girlwacko:

Wizard of Oz would be a great licensed theme, if Wicked was made into an awesome movie, that could really start something. Great and Powerful Oz kinda hurts that idea because it sucked, but I would buy Wizard of Oz Lego even without a new movie. I like the Twilight and Hunger Games idea, appeals to a lot more people.

I love all the new colors also, I'm stocking up on Friends sets to part out, Mocer's are out there dreaming about these colors. I can't get enough of Friends, they are just so darn cute :girlwacko:

Yeh, except the figures are absolutely the worst...

Wonder why they could not simply put the regular figs in there lol

Its a huge downside to me

Totally agree, I wish they were the reg. fig. also, it is a disappointment to me too. The little mini-dolls are growing on me though, so i'm hoping they can stand the test of time, we will see.

Totally agree, I wish they were the reg. fig. also, it is a disappointment to me too. The little mini-dolls are growing on me though, so i'm hoping they can stand the test of time, we will see.

Don't get me started on the Friends "mini dolls"! :) I am a die-hard Friends fan but I have a real beef with the mini-dolls. My top complaints:

- The hair never stays on. Especially if you try to turn the doll's head.

- The classic minifigs can bend forward and backward at the waist. The mini dolls can only bend forward. It always looks like they're staring at the ground. I can't get them to look up. You really have to display them at eye level to get the same POV Lego shows in their photos.

- The different parts are interchangeable but I find a real lack of imagination with the outfits. There's a lot of tank tops. And too many skirts/skirts/capris to count. I challenge anyone to try to match an Olivia mini doll with the set it came with! I'm starting to wonder if that's why I see so many bulk lots of mini dolls for sale on eBay...

I really hope Lego improves on the mini dolls. They appeal to me (the female faces on the original minifigs seem unattractive to me...frightening in some cases). They are definitely the weakest aspect of the Friends sets.