The Future of Lego Investing for Girls

Perhaps because I am a girl, I am over thinking this topic, however, with the success of the Lego Friends series I can't help but wonder about the possibilities for Lego lines for girls.

Here's a few I've come up with and they are all Disney related:

- Cinderella's Castle

- Cinderella's Pumpkin Carriage

- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs little house and the 7 dwarf minifigs

- Snow White's Even Queen, witch with the apple, and mirror on the wall set

- Little Mermaid Eric's Ship

- Little Mermaid Ursula's Lair

- Little Mermaid Ariel's secret hideout

- Beauty and the Beast Castle

- Beauty and the Beast glowing rose scene

- Beauty and the Beast Dinner scene with candlestick guy and clock guy.

or we can take it to present with Disney Jr. popularities such as Sophie the First. My daughter is not a year yet, but I know my nieces would go crazy over any princess themed Lego sets. Plus their dad's would have a blast putting it together with them. Perfect daddy daughter bonding time.

What sets do you think Lego could make for girls along the princess theme?

Edited:

I forgot to mention investment potential, but with Disney movies for example:

Disney releases a film and it is only produced for a number of years. Then it goes into "the vault." This is where most movies I grew up with are and they only re-release 2 per year. If they created lego themes along this line, certain sets could really do well upon EOL. I think if women grew up watching certain movies like I have, we would be excited to get our daughters Lego series from the movies that we loved as little girls.

I think those would all be fantastic additions. My wife would love them. I would love to know what the negotiations are like to do this type of licensing. I think it would be fun to see LEGO sets of the actual disney rides. A great architecture set would be Space Mountain :) To me, the ideas you give a no brainers. The success of friends would go even further with these types of sets. I can only imagine the marketing they can do at all the Disney locations.

I know that a lot of kids as well as parents would love Lego themes around Disney themes. There are for sure die-hard Disney Princess fans everywhere that would buy them. Also, as Jeff said, they could be sold both at Lego retail stores, but also at Disney Stores. I know that this is what happened for SW. On the SW site, you can purchase sets through different sellers that are listed right there for you. Not sure that I would buy them to build, since it would probably damage my self-respect, but I'm sure that plenty of parents and kids would love to build these things together. And as you said, chihuahualawyer, it would form a little bridge between the interests of a dad and a little girl.

Unfortunately, Disney themed LEGO sets are some of the worst performers. The sets are accurate and cute and do a fantastic job portraying the Disney movie or TV show they are based on. Toy Story, Cars and Prince of Persia are a few examples of quality Disney themes that are investment duds. The Friends theme seems to be designed around a typical LEGO building set with feminine qualities sprinkled in and that has hit right mix with little girls. Just my opinion...invest in Friends and skip the rest if you want some bang for your investment buck and a set that your daughter will love. If you don't care about investment, then the ones you mentioned are wonderful sets.

I don't think I have looked at more than 5 Duplo sets in my life. I got them for Ed's son.

Wait, you get his SON the Disney princess sets from Duplo ? That is some conversation starter ;)

Just kidding.

It is easy to notice Duplo line when you have someone in that age range in your life. Although some kids bypass Duplo when their siblings already own many LEGO sets.

Unfortunately, Disney themed LEGO sets are some of the worst performers. The sets are accurate and cute and do a fantastic job portraying the Disney movie or TV show they are based on. Toy Story, Cars and Prince of Persia are a few examples of quality Disney themes that are investment duds. The Friends theme seems to be designed around a typical LEGO building set with feminine qualities sprinkled in and that has hit right mix with little girls. Just my opinion...invest in Friends and skip the rest if you want some bang for your investment buck and a set that your daughter will love.

If you don't care about investment, then the ones you mentioned are wonderful sets.

I see your point and partially agree, but I think Disney Princess specifically could do well timed with retiring of the movies, etc. Prince of Persia is not timeless, Cars 1 is great, but Cars 2 was a dud, but I wouldn't consider buying any legos of Cars. Toy Story is a great movie series, but I can see why it didn't do well. For some reason I don't see how it could successfully translate into legos. Probably because it's a bunch of small scenes. There aren't any big ones to do with that movie. It also doesn't help that as a Toy Story fan, it would be better to purchase the real Buzz and the real Woody dolls.

I just looked at a list of princesses on google and I will breakdown what I think:

winners:

snow white

cinderella

ariel

belle

maybe:

jasmine

losers:

pocahontas

mulan

tiana

rapunzel

merida

The winners list for a few reasons: castles, ships and big set possibilities as well as the movies being timeless classics.

I definitely don't think as a whole it would be a full time winning line. Just the few above.

I think those would all be fantastic additions. My wife would love them. I would love to know what the negotiations are like to do this type of licensing. I think it would be fun to see LEGO sets of the actual disney rides. A great architecture set would be Space Mountain :) To me, the ideas you give a no brainers. The success of friends would go even further with these types of sets. I can only imagine the marketing they can do at all the Disney locations.

Architecture Space Mountain would be EPIC! How about Matterhorn?!

I see your point and partially agree, but I think Disney Princess specifically could do well timed with retiring of the movies, etc. Prince of Persia is not timeless, Cars 1 is great, but Cars 2 was a dud, but I wouldn't consider buying any legos of Cars. Toy Story is a great movie series, but I can see why it didn't do well. For some reason I don't see how it could successfully translate into legos. Probably because it's a bunch of small scenes. There aren't any big ones to do with that movie. It also doesn't help that as a Toy Story fan, it would be better to purchase the real Buzz and the real Woody dolls.

I just looked at a list of princesses on google and I will breakdown what I think:

winners:

snow white

cinderella

ariel

belle

maybe:

jasmine

losers:

pocahontas

mulan

tiana

rapunzel

merida

The winners list for a few reasons: castles, ships and big set possibilities as well as the movies being timeless classics.

I definitely don't think as a whole it would be a full time winning line. Just the few above.

Oooohhhh, I won't tell my daughter you said that about "Punzel". Tangled is her favorite movie, hands down.

I think part of the collecting would be for Lego but it would apply just as well to those that collect Disney. I don't really collect things Disney so it's hard to speculate the value of those goods as time goes on though I think they have some highly sought after collectibles.

winners:

snow white

cinderella

ariel

belle

maybe:

jasmine

losers:

pocahontas

mulan

tiana

rapunzel

merida

Oooohhhh, I won't tell my daughter you said that about "Punzel". Tangled is her favorite movie, hands down.I love Tangled also, but I don't know how the hair would translate to minifigure hair...lol.

The thing is, Lego could do them in a minifigure line like the Friends small impulse sets, and collectors from all genres would look at purchasing them. The problem with Toy Story and Cars, was there was nothing really there for the AFOL. Now you make a line where collector's can find different pieces (hair, faces, etc) to deck out their figs and use them in different MOCs and it will do better. Toy Story and Cars had figures (well key components) that couldn't really be used for anything else.

Oooohhhh, I won't tell my daughter you said that about "Punzel". Tangled is her favorite movie, hands down.

Yeah, and whatca got against the native american woman?! Or the celtic girl, huh?!

Well here's my response to that missy! :P

Don't forget the chinese and african american girls, both kick ass in their own rights :P

Seriously, if the winners are winners because of castles, Rapunzel has her own darn tower. Make it modular so the fans can decorate the insight. As for her hair, as it was braided half of the movie, it can be a slightly modified version of Spider-Man's web in blond / light yellow color

• 3 months later...
Guest betsy805

Hadn't seen this in the stores before, but stumbled upon a shelf of lego friends series 2 pets.  Are these like the CMF?  

Perhaps because I am a girl, I am over thinking this topic, however, with the success of the Lego Friends series I can't help but wonder about the possibilities for Lego lines for girls. Here's a few I've come up with and they are all Disney related: - Cinderella's Castle - Cinderella's Pumpkin Carriage - Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs little house and the 7 dwarf minifigs - Snow White's Even Queen, witch with the apple, and mirror on the wall set - Little Mermaid Eric's Ship - Little Mermaid Ursula's Lair - Little Mermaid Ariel's secret hideout - Beauty and the Beast Castle - Beauty and the Beast glowing rose scene - Beauty and the Beast Dinner scene with candlestick guy and clock guy. or we can take it to present with Disney Jr. popularities such as Sophie the First. My daughter is not a year yet, but I know my nieces would go crazy over any princess themed Lego sets. Plus their dad's would have a blast putting it together with them. Perfect daddy daughter bonding time. What sets do you think Lego could make for girls along the princess theme? Edited: I forgot to mention investment potential, but with Disney movies for example: Disney releases a film and it is only produced for a number of years. Then it goes into "the vault." This is where most movies I grew up with are and they only re-release 2 per year. If they created lego themes along this line, certain sets could really do well upon EOL. I think if women grew up watching certain movies like I have, we would be excited to get our daughters Lego series from the movies that we loved as little girls.

I would love to see Lego expand its "girl" line, but the themes I would like to see are more along the lines of Hunger Games and Twilight.  Those to me would parallel the "boy" LOTR line.  I think that these themes would appeal more to female AFOLs than disney princesses and even Friends.  I also think that these themes could help bridge the existing gender divide with Lego, as HG and Twilight are popular among both pre-teen boys and girls.  

My daughter has just turned 8 and fallen in love very recently with Lego's. She doesn't seem to care which sets she puts together. So far she has done Weathertop, Attack of the Wargs, Uruk-Hai and a small Harry Potter. She is a typical 8 year old girl who loves everything to be pink and purple. She loves Barbies & Webkinz.

When I take her to the Lego isle she is drawn to mostly Star Wars and City stuff. She has no more interest in Friends than any other theme. Granted her taste may change in time but it seems to me Lego may be a different kind of animal in relation to girls toys.

My daughter has just turned 8 and fallen in love very recently with Lego's. She doesn't seem to care which sets she puts together. So far she has done Weathertop, Attack of the Wargs, Uruk-Hai and a small Harry Potter. She is a typical 8 year old girl who loves everything to be pink and purple. She loves Barbies & Webkinz.

When I take her to the Lego isle she is drawn to mostly Star Wars and City stuff. She has no more interest in Friends than any other theme. Granted her taste may change in time but it seems to me Lego may be a different kind of animal in relation to girls toys.

I agree that there has been a certain level of gender neutrality to Lego sets in general.  However, I find it disappointing that by going the pink/purple/cute route, Lego chose to capitalize on gender stereotypes and completely abandon gender neutrality.  My hope is that Friends will be followed by some less girly girl themes.

So I'm a bit confused by the title of this thread, what exactly are we talking about here? The title suggests females that invest in Lego but I feel the thread is about Lego sets that are geared towards females.

I guess the 2 are intertwined.  I've thought about this a lot with the Friends theme.  Can we really expect the theme to be a successful long term investment?  My understanding of what drives the secondary market in general is AFOLs.  Is Friends a theme that grown women are going to "need to have"?  I just don't see it.  If Lego started producing some themes that are less little kid girly girl (HG and Twilight are two that keep popping into my head), will grown women "need" to have those sets?  I'm not sure.

I have to believe that one of the reasons HP was so big was bc so many women love Harry Potter series.

I would love to know if this is the case.  I put Harry Potter in with Hunger Games and Twilight.  Gender neutral pop culture.  

My wife would be first in line as well.