Lego jacking up prices this year

2 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

Challenge find the new most overpriced set. Here are my 2 entries. Ninjago used to be the PPP bargain leader not sure what happened, and City this is just pitiful. 

Wow, Double Loop Stuntz looks like a $50 set. When I started this in 2011 there were not any sets over $200. 

Haunted House went up $50, hoped that one would hold the line. Police Station managed to stay at $200. 

Edited by marcandre

2 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

Target still holding the line on Home Alone, Blacksmith, and Icons. Surprised Cantina went up as that wasn’t on any list I saw. 

Challenge find the new most overpriced set. Here are my 2 entries. Ninjago used to be the PPP bargain leader not sure what happened, and City this is just pitiful. 

AACF60B3-1B89-4639-90B7-03F3FC3504CD.png

9B9D3051-83CD-4404-A145-FBAEDA35AC80.png

Won't be long until we see that City set for $75 online.

How much will this hurt LEGO? I know I will become significantly more selective about what I buy. Already working with a large backlog over here, so will likely only buy the new castle and just call it at that for a while. I think they would have commanded a small price increase and not seen a big drop off, but $240 for that R2D2 is just crazy.

• Like 2

Dang, I knew this was coming but some of these increases feel ridiculous.

I just said to my wife: "Well, inflation has finally hit the [Keymomachine] household, Lego has raised prices 10-20%."

She says, "yeah, but that means all the stuff in the basement just got that much better. It's like Forever stamps!"

• Like 4

I don't think that this will hurt LEGO one bit.  LEGO has consistently raised prices over the last 10-15 years and it hasn't seemed to hurt them yet.  When I started reselling, there were very few sets with an MSRP over $100 and they were all exclusives (i.e., UCS, modulars, etc.).  Now, LEGO has normalized price points between $100-$200 for non-exclusive sets and has a bevy of sets priced between $200 and $800.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, redcell said:

I don't think that this will hurt LEGO one bit.  LEGO has consistently raised prices over the last 10-15 years and it hasn't seemed to hurt them yet.  When I started reselling, there were very few sets with an MSRP over $100 and they were all exclusives (i.e., UCS, modulars, etc.).  Now, LEGO has normalized price points between $100-$200 for non-exclusive sets and has a bevy of sets priced between $200 and $800.  

Maybe but when have they ever increased it by such a large amount in one go? Nothing subtle or gradual about this. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Graphicski said:

Maybe but when have they ever increased it by such a large amount in one go? Nothing subtle or gradual about this. 

LEGO have been lowering the values / price per piece gradually over the past 2 years.  Just compare the average $30 Friends/City sets from 2019 with the newer ones from 2022.  Drastic reduction on playable "extra" components outside of the main builds.  To be completely honest, the boxes for newer sets are way too big and feel empty.  I would not be surprised if LEGO reduce the packaging but keep the price point, ie. $30 set in $20 size box

Looking through some curious $100+ SAH updates...

Edited by weemsc54

LEGO has been lowering the values / price per piece gradually over the past 2 years.  Just compare the average $30 Friends/City sets from 2019 with the newer ones from 2022.  Drastic reduction on playable "extra" components outside of the main builds.  To be completely honest, the boxes for newer sets are way too big and feel empty.  I would not be surprised if LEGO reduce the packaging but keep the price point, ie. $30 set in $20 size box

Seriously the oversized boxes are ridiculous. Haven’t opened much recently but the old UCS B-wing, 10227 was at least half empty. These higher prices are gonna turn me into a super box snob, Not gonna pay top dollar for a dented box! I think resellers will get pickier too, and many customers who are seeing this will see it as excessively greedy. An across the board 5-10% increase on everything would be much more palatable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s right. They’ve always done the increases when they released new sets at higher price points. This is more noticeable because it’s happening mid-cycle. It’s also mostly focused on sets with higher price points, which is where prices increases seem to have been more readily accepted over time.

1 hour ago, redcell said:

That’s right. They’ve always done the increases when they released new sets at higher price points. This is more noticeable because it’s happening mid-cycle. It’s also mostly focused on sets with higher price points, which is where prices increases seem to have been more readily accepted over time.

When have they ever increased prices on existing sets? Or is that what mid-cycle means, middle of the sets life cycle, or did you mean middle of the year? They have always had price increases look at the modulars CC $140, GG $150 DO $160 and so on,  but when the new year’s release came out the old models never got an increase.

F435F8F3-3157-46C6-A94B-5D16FCCA0CD6.thumb.jpeg.69ab50d1cb1f842801ba6649bfe27870.jpegInterestingly UCS MILF was the same price in store and the price increases deffinetly did not deter the crowds. Not sure if it was the price increases or something else but while I was in the checkout line the manager who knows me well came up to me and said “We really appreciate your business get whatever you want”. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, dennugsmello said:

Prices will increase but large markdowns will follow suit. There is an over abundance of inventory entering the market and spending is down. There will be plenty of deals in the the coming future. 

agree 100 % just wonder if lego stores will start discounting or will leave it to the retail channel (amazon, target, walmart, etc)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

Not sure if it was the price increases or something else but while I was in the checkout line the manager who knows me well came up to me and said “We really appreciate your business get whatever you want”. 

Sure thing.  It's always good with managers until corporate looks into numbers and issues a verdict that you are now cut off!

Managers can be great to work with, but you have to use "your own" discretion because corporate does monitor sales.  They will contact the store managers if your buys catch their eye.