Lego jacking up prices this year

1 hour ago, Shortbus311 said:

I am in VB. So Richmond is about 2-2.5 hours from me and then you are another 1.5 from Richmond. I guess I exaggerated by an hour.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Sorry. I didn't realize you were in VB. Anyway going up 95 is a very painful process with unpredictable traffic.

Sorry. I didn't realize you were in VB. Anyway going up 95 is a very painful process with unpredictable traffic.
Yeah, 95 traffic between Richmond and DC is horrific. I took my kid up to DC for a few days during spring break this year and it took us 7 hours to get from our home in VB to our hotel in Alexandria. It seems everytime I drive up that direction traffic is ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Any new word on this?

Based on some other threads...the list of price increases (rumors) are expanding beyond the Stonewars list.  I guess the Barnes & Nobles list is an add-on...any others?

Are folks generally thinking any set w/ a license will "likely" get increased (eventually)...?

[I edited my post while watching the vid above]

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan

7 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Any new word on this?

Based on some other threads...the list of price increases (rumors) are expanding beyond the Stonewars list.  I guess the Barnes & Nobles list is an add-on...any others?

Are folks generally thinking any set w/ a license will "likely" get increased (eventually)...meaning modulars are "safe"?

Seems to me any set going up is one that isnt being retired soon. Target also has price increases on some including some modular for example Assembly Square say see price in cart and when you add it, it is $279.99 but says MSRP $300. They upped their price on Daily Bugle to $350

7 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Any new word on this?

Are folks generally thinking any set w/ a license will "likely" get increased (eventually)...meaning modulars are "safe"?

Bookstore and Hotel are up at B&N.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marcandre said:

Seems like every big set is up there. AT-AT, Home Alone, a bunch more. 

getting the AT-AT at release w/ the Luke Saber (and bonus bucks for some) becoming better and better deal.

I know I can't get all the big sets that are increasing...so far my strategy is to target the ones that likely won't ever go on sale...for example I expect Ninjago City gardens to go on sale prior to retirement..and banking that will still be cheaper post RRP increase.

We've been lucky with our buys, such as the mustang, ideas sets and bugle, that we've got prior to the price increases. 

I have grown a small disposable income over the years and have used (sickeningly in hindsight 🙈) much of it for me and my partner as avid adult collectors buying what we like the look of across a broad range of themes and sizes as the odd treat. But I've already told the other half these rises are so blatantly greedy and will make it unjustifiable to buy so much except MAYBE the odd modular or UCS, which is how we rationed our collecting before my job changes. 

as the last on a whim buy before it goes up by a stupid amount, I got the Harry Potter icons hedgewig(sp?) set while the HP gwp was active and I had £50 of points. And that's the last impulse buy going forward for us.

We've got a lot of what we wanted before the increases and now legos going to see a drastic decline in my purchases, and I wonder how many other previously eager collectors already tightening their spending in this climate will be snubbing lego too.

Edited by Graphicski

• 2 weeks later...

I see Amazon has put up the new prices ahead of schedule but making up for it by showing the sets on sale at their old prices. 
Looking at the sets, not much in the way of surprises except that many sets are not marked up that were rumored to be — some notable creator experts sets where other that were rumored are marked up. 
One I didn’t see rumored, but apparently is going up is Grand Piano. Now $400. 

• Like 2

For sets that have been around for a while and the price has not increased, good chance that it is another indication of the set possibly retiring. Example, both Millennium Falcon and AT-AT UCS are going up $50 to $849.95, but the Imperial Star Destroyer UCS is staying at $699.95.

1 hour ago, Pseudoty said:

Treehouse $250 ha

Not going up based on Amazon:

Cantina, SATURN V, Bookshop, Porsche, Haunted House, Vespa, Pickup Truck, Space Shuttle 

Police Station modular seems to be staying at 200. Assembly Square going up to 300. Boutique Hotel to 230. 

2 days left!

8 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

Treehouse $250 ha

Not going up based on Amazon:

Cantina, SATURN V, Bookshop, Porsche, Haunted House, Vespa, Pickup Truck, Space Shuttle 

Winnie the Pooh and the Whitehouse seem to be staying at $100 if we go by Amazon.

Succulents and Orchids are staying at $50, going by the same metric.

Edited by zaphoid

More from Amazon (these may have been known before, but a few caught my eye today): 

Home Alone House up $50 to $300
Technic McLaren F1 up $20 to $200
Bouquet up $10 to $60 (but currently at $41)
Dagobah Diorama up $10 to $90
R2-D2 up $40 to $240
Question-Mark Block up $30 to $200
Daily Bugle, up $50 to $350
Hogwarts Icons, up $50 to $300
Hogwarts Castle, up $70 to $470
Techni Lambo Sian, up $70 to $450
Related, the Bugatti is still available, from Amazon, but now also at $450 (not reseller), so that's up $100  (and its moved to TOOS on lego.com, so they may have killed production until they could jack this up $100)
Makes me think the new Ferrari is going up to $450, too?!?!

I'm sure there's more...

• Like 1

Also, although Stonewars thought the $20 speed champions were going up, Amazon and B&N seem to have them staying at the $20 price.

So far, B&N seems to have been an accurate predictor -- excluding the sets they didn't carry, of course.

Delorean was in stock for August 31st delivery, but they were already asking the $200 price.  Back out of stock.

Increase in price on things like the Fender guitar from $100 to $120 (B&N) - $130 (Kohls) just baffles me and turns me away.  I don't play guitar nor do I collect them, but planned to pick one up because it looks like a cool Lego set.  My plan was to grab one on an Amazon, Walmart or Target 20% off sale at $80.  $130 for this set is just ludicrous.  Ultimately, I think many of the new prices for Lego sets moving forward will only help older sets and eats away at a lot of value down the road of newer priced sets.  Using the Fender as an example, I don't believe the value will be $20 - $30 more after retirement just because it cost $20 - $30 more when active.  Maybe Lego is exploring lower volumes at higher prices rather than trying to keep up with increasing demand at current prices.  The only way I can see this positively impacting retired sets is if it results in a lower number of sets available after retirement because people like me passed on them.  I'll only be a buyer of this set if I come across it at $80 or less.    

Target still holding the line on Home Alone, Blacksmith, and Icons. Surprised Cantina went up as that wasn’t on any list I saw. 

Challenge find the new most overpriced set. Here are my 2 entries. Ninjago used to be the PPP bargain leader not sure what happened, and City this is just pitiful. 

AACF60B3-1B89-4639-90B7-03F3FC3504CD.png

9B9D3051-83CD-4404-A145-FBAEDA35AC80.png

• Haha 1