cancelled auction with bids?

tonysbricks

How was this possible? The auction was cancelled after a bid was placed, and it looks like it was cancelled right before ending?? Why would ebay allow this? Or am I missing somehting?

Link

It's bad practice but definitely possible. When you cancel an auction eBay asks the reason. Some of the reasons include 1) the item is no longer available for sale, and 2) there was an error in the listing. I think they give about 5 options for the reason on an auction cancel.

If I remember correctly, if it's canceled during the final 12 hours it has to be sold to the high bidder. Also the seller would be charged fees for ending the listing early with bids.

How was this possible? The auction was cancelled after a bid was placed, and it looks like it was cancelled right before ending?? Why would ebay allow this? Or am I missing somehting?

Link

Yes, I find that this happens pretty often - My impression is that the seller has usually received an offer for the set & decides to cancel the auction to sell it to that other person. There is no clear evidence, but it does seem likely when the item doesn't get re-listed.

Link

I've had this happen to me on an auction I was mere minutes away from winning. Soon after I received an email from ebay apologizing and saying that they were investigating. Nothing came of it in the end to me, but all of the seller's auctions were cancelled by someone.

I assumed the seller was caught doing something against ebay's policies and had their account terminated because a few days later the seller name could not be found.