Musical Picks

TheOrcKing

3 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

If you've ever seen a Smith & Myers tour lots of good covers he does on there.   Started out as a radio contest thing and evolved into a separate touring thing over the years especially during covid as they could do a small venue or drive through live show without the full production needed on shinedown stuff.

1 hour ago, ravenb99 said:

I'll back you up on those.   I'll throw Shinedowns simple man in there too over Skynyrd 

That one is really close for me.  I love the music video that Shinedown did for Simple Man.  Side note for those that don't know, Shinedowns original guitarist is married to Ronnie Van Zants daughter and I believe its their daughter that is holding the portrait of Ronnie Van Zant in the video.

6 minutes ago, zaphoid said:

That one is really close for me.  I love the music video that Shinedown did for Simple Man.  Side note for those that don't know, Shinedowns original guitarist is married to Ronnie Van Zants daughter and I believe its their daughter that is holding the portrait of Ronnie Van Zant in the video.

yeah it is  Jasin Todd , saw him when he switched to Fuel briefly as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ravenb99 said:

yeah it is  Jasin Todd , saw him when he switched to Fuel briefly as well.

which was the new Fuel with Brett and new bandmates,  which was originally Yogi from Buckcherry who Jasin took over for.  Man that was a confusing time.  Been 11 years too.

On 8/2/2021 at 11:32 PM, Darth_Raichu said:

I am curious what fans of the artists think about these sorts of stuffs.  Would they think less of the artists had they known some of the more popular songs sampled / borrowed from / copied older songs?  Or did they knew about it and just did not care?

I think fans of music in general are a bit like ones of, well, anything else from between cinema to literature. Somewhere they kind of expect to hear familiar bits being used either in the main section (beat/plot) or on the side (riff/trope). For cases of not only blatant copying but very little if any difference between the original and the "totally not a ripoff", that is where I imagine not even the most devout fans could stand by their artist. (Case in point the ever classic, Vanilla Ice's "Ice Ice Baby".)

A couple of pages back in this topic I had posted "The Most Recycled Heavy Metal Riff" done by the same channel behind the Metallica one from a couple days earlier. It covers generations of bands over the years and still missing some examples of that particular lead guitar buildup. (No real name for the riff so haven't a clue what to call it.)

Speaking of fans and Metallica in the same sentence, the lawsuit from 2000 of Metallica Vs Napster turned a lot of people against the band pretty hard. Well at least the 335,000 or so Napster users banned from the service for allegedly sharing (the band's) copyrighted music. Then Dr. Dre plus some record labels came in and there goes another 200,000+ user accounts.

So yes, some still hold this grudge against Metallica even by kids who have no idea what Napster was originally. (I honestly forgot the "brand" still exists technically.) Also these sorts blame the band for the bizarre foothold the DMCA has had more recently between takedowns of various original content uploaded to the likes of Twitch and YouTube. I remember reading a comment in relation to their Twitch stream for this year's Blizzcon regarding how the audio was replaced with generic music by Twitch out of fear for a copyright claim takedown saying "they 100% deserve this" among a few other choice words. Thankfully majority of the other comments disagreed put simply.

And I seem to be derailing the topic with this soapbox I keep finding myself on. I'll come back later with some covers or something. As you were, ladies and gentlemen.

59 minutes ago, gmpirate said:

No Summer Wine?

Lol, I have not heard either version until 10 minutes ago.  First impression: I like the original version better.  The male voice (Lee Hazlewood, which I have not heard before) gave it that heavy & haunting kind of vibe from 60s music & movies (not sure if I explained it well lol).  A perfect match for Nancy.  Also the orchestral background gave the song a very Connery's Bond vibe. 

This came from someone who likes the Corrs.  Their duet with Bono was great and all, but the original had more "umph" to it.  :dontknow:

41 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Lol, I have not heard either version until 10 minutes ago.  First impression: I like the original version better.  The male voice (Lee Hazlewood, which I have not heard before) gave it that heavy & haunting kind of vibe from 60s music & movies (not sure if I explained it well lol).  A perfect match for Nancy.  Also the orchestral background gave the song a very Connery's Bond vibe. 

This came from someone who likes the Corrs.  Their duet with Bono was great and all, but the original had more "umph" to it.  :dontknow:

I haven’t seen it in years, but I remember the video being pretty hot if you can find it.  Corrs version I heard first.  That and because I liked the video I go with Corrs

15 minutes ago, gmpirate said:

I haven’t seen it in years, but I remember the video being pretty hot if you can find it.  Corrs version I heard first.  That and because I liked the video I go with Corrs

Wait, there is a music video for it? I thought it was just 1 time Bono & The Corrs duet thing on VH1.

46 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Hmm, there is no music video for Summer Wine according to the Wikipedia.  There is one for Summer Sunshine (where they were destroying a house)

Or maybe you were thinking of Breathless (the one with an airplane)?

No, it was Summer Wine.  And I just got home and tried searching for it and could not find any trace of it.  I remember it because they were nude in the video.  Always stuck with me for some reason . . .  Was over 10 years ago.

8 hours ago, gmpirate said:

No, it was Summer Wine.  And I just got home and tried searching for it and could not find any trace of it.  I remember it because they were nude in the video.  Always stuck with me for some reason . . .  Was over 10 years ago.

7 hours ago, Adam1975 said:

You are thinking of the version from Ville Valo and Natalia Avelon from the German movie Eight Miles High. 

@gmpirate What he said.  And you had me questioning my own the Corrs knowledge :P

I had to remove the vid,  but it is available on Youtube.  It looks like those scenes are from the movie

1 hour ago, Darth_Raichu said:

@gmpirate What he said.  And you had me questioning my own the Corrs knowledge :P

I had to remove the vid,  but it is available on Youtube.  It looks like those scenes are from the movie

Yep, how funny.  That's the only video I ever saw of it.  The actress had a similar look so I never questioned it.  Just thought, wow, steamy video 😜

@adam1975  I knew someone out there had to have seen what I did

Edited by gmpirate
addition

Holy cow. It's 2021 and there is a new music video by Gerald Casale of DEVO?!

Back to the topic of covers, anyone have a clue as to how many exist for "Come Together" by The Beatles? I think every single band has covered that particular track in their own style which is pretty cool. To me not really a case of "who did it better?" but more like "whatcha in the mood for?".

On 8/6/2021 at 8:48 PM, Darth_Raichu said:

The Corrs > Fleetwood Mack

If I am honest, I only remember Fleetwood Mack because of Stevie Nicks even though the band was around well before she became a part of it for a time. First tune heard and music video seen as a child for Stevie Nicks was her "Stand Back". Took me forever like after high school to actually remember the song name because 'dumb kid'. Haha.

4 hours ago, TheOrcKing said:

Back to the topic of covers, anyone have a clue as to how many exist for "Come Together" by The Beatles?

I thought because it is (was?) theme song for fans of certain white substance?  The lyrics don't makes sense unless one ingests that thing through certain orifice (so I've heard) :dontknow:

4 hours ago, TheOrcKing said:

If I am honest, I only remember Fleetwood Mack because of Stevie Nicks even though the band was around well before she became a part of it for a time. First tune heard and music video seen as a child for Stevie Nicks was her "Stand Back". Took me forever like after high school to actually remember the song name because 'dumb kid'. Haha.

Not saying they are bad, but the Corrs' cover for that song was 100% better.  It is not like I hate Fleetwood Mac, I still have their The Chain in my music rotation because I think it is a pretty epic composition. 

Although speaking of cover, this cover of The Chain from artists some of you might not heard of is pretty cool too ;)

5 hours ago, TheOrcKing said:

Back to the topic of covers, anyone have a clue as to how many exist for "Come Together" by The Beatles? I think every single band has covered that particular track in their own style which is pretty cool. To me not really a case of "who did it better?" but more like "whatcha in the mood for?".

First group I always think of is Aerosmith.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

I thought because it is (was?) theme song for fans of certain white substance?

Ah yes. The white stuff....

Nah, I'm just joshin' ya. I know what you meant.

19 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

The lyrics don't makes sense unless one ingests that thing through certain orifice (so I've heard)

I do not think one needs to intake certain 'medicines with hallucinogenic properties' through their lower posterior to understand the "gobbledygook" (as quoted from John Lennon) that is Come Together. Originally meant to be a campaign song for Timothy Leary but John Lennon couldn't write one so instead we got what we did.

Some people look at the lyrics to be describing the four bandmates individually through each verse. Another way it is John Lennon talking about meeting essentially a sardonic self-portrait. In the end music is like art; interpretative.

18 hours ago, gmpirate said:

First group I always think of is Aerosmith.

They are tied for first along with Michael Jackson's cover which I believe was my introduction to the song Come Together before even hearing the original.

1 hour ago, TheOrcKing said:

They are tied for first along with Michael Jackson's cover which I believe was my introduction to the song Come Together before even hearing the original.

Had no idea about MJ, but it doesn’t surprise me as I’ve seen so many Beetles covers hidden on other artists albums.  Helter Skelter being another 

Edited by gmpirate
  • Like 1