Musical Picks

TheOrcKing

22 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

They called it "sampling"

Oh, Sampling, but this is a cover or just a ripoff? Robert even mimics the reverb in his voice  

ETA: and thanks for not posting Wild Wild West video where he samples Stevie Wonder  

Edited by Pseudoty

6 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

Oh, Sampling, but this is a cover or just a ripoff? Robert even mimics the reverb in his voice  

ETA: and thanks for not posting Wild Wild West video where he samples Stevie Wonder  

I believe the difference is the amount of cash original singer gets after the fact.  $0 means ripoff otherwise a homage / sampling 

Will Smith sampled so many songs back in the 90s, that was just the 1st that came on my mind.  Stevie Wonder performed that WWW song with Will Smith on stage at MTV music award (I think), so he was probably ok with it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2021 at 9:29 PM, Pseudoty said:

@Pseudoty Curious what your take is on John Lee Hooker's Boogie Chillen (No 2) vs ZZ Top's La Grange.   Obviously I was not one who followed the behind the scenes stuffs, but apparently this case went all the way to the Supreme Court.  Spoilers: John Lee Hooker lost the case

I am not a big fan of ZZ Top (sue me :P ),  but how many of you fans know about this copyright issue case?  It sounded very obvious to me that ZZ used the riffs from Hooker's song (especially the faster No2 version).  Based on the Youtube views, it is obvious which song is more popular..

1 hour ago, TheOrcKing said:

If we're doing music comparisons again, Metallica has a number of tracks with familiar riffs.

I am curious what fans of the artists think about these sorts of stuffs.  Would they think less of the artists had they known some of the more popular songs sampled / borrowed from / copied older songs?  Or did they knew about it and just did not care?

18 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

@Pseudoty Curious what your take is on John Lee Hooker's Boogie Chillen (No 2) vs ZZ Top's La Grange.   Obviously I was not one who followed the behind the scenes stuffs, but apparently this case went all the way to the Supreme Court.  Spoilers: John Lee Hooker lost the case

I am not a big fan of ZZ Top (sue me :P ),  but how many of you fans know about this copyright issue case?  It sounded very obvious to me that ZZ used the riffs from Hooker's song (especially the faster No2 version).  Based on the Youtube views, it is obvious which song is more popular..

I am all for a good credited cover, but prior to the Internet, Spotify, CD these blues songs didn’t get radio airtime so there was really no way for the general public to know. When we were listening to albums as kids back in the 60’s and 70’s (lobs a softball for The Danish) I can’t remember once reading the song credits on a jacket until The Wall came out. I am sure some did with every Beatles album to see if it was John or Paul but in my circle it was not common practice.  So I am sure some felt duped, some disappointed and others just don’t care.

Covers better than originals IMO:

Cash > NIN

Metallica > Seger

Nirvana > Bowie 

5B4290E9-1A47-4755-B2AA-47E8DC260753.jpeg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

I am all for a good credited cover, but prior to the Internet, Spotify, CD these blues songs didn’t get radio airtime so there was really no way for the general public to know. When we were listening to albums as kids back in the 60’s and 70’s (lobs a softball for The Danish) I can’t remember once reading the song credits on a jacket until The Wall came out. I am sure some did with every Beatles album to see if it was John or Paul but in my circle it was not common practice.  So I am sure some felt duped, some disappointed and others just don’t care.

Covers better than originals IMO:

Cash > NIN

Metallica > Seger

Nirvana > Bowie 

5B4290E9-1A47-4755-B2AA-47E8DC260753.jpeg

That version of Hurt by Cash if just oustanding!!   It seemed like it was written for him...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

I am all for a good credited cover,

ZZ Top's La Grange was not a cover though. ;)

16 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

When we were listening to albums as kids back in the 60’s and 70’s (lobs a softball for The Danish) I can’t remember once reading the song credits on a jacket until The Wall came out.

Yeah, even in the 80s and 90s, most people do not read past the lists of song titles on their cassette tape or CD cases.  Well, except for me reading every single text on Michael Jackson's Bad album ;)

As far as covers, I think which version of the song you are familiar with plays bigger part of determining your preference.  To me, there will never be a version of Smooth Criminal better than the original :D

This is going to sound blasphemous to some, but for kids of the 90s, Real McCoy > Redbone :D