Jump to content

10283 - Space Shuttle Discovery


Alpinemaps
 Share

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, Bricklectic said:

I'd advise to steer clear. Bought a bunch from target at 90$ and could not unload for a profit. Doesnt seem to be popular and is still in stock at msrp months after peers retired.

It hasn't retired in the US right? I'm looking at historical prices of shuttles and surprisingly it's not as good as I thought. I have a bunch of 60230 the space people pack and it's moving very slowly as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, coelian said:

It hasn't retired in the US right? I'm looking at historical prices of shuttles and surprisingly it's not as good as I thought. I have a bunch of 60230 the space people pack and it's moving very slowly as well.

I honestly think AFOLs are more into space sets than kids.  My kids gravitate towards Minecraft if they’re going to build something. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Mathew said:

I honestly think AFOLs are more into space sets than kids.  My kids gravitate towards Minecraft if they’re going to build something. 

When I was a kid it was all about what else I could build with the parts that came with the set in addition to what the set itself was. 

These NASA sets are clearly for display (18+).  The City space sets advantage is they are modular and most, if not all, will work with one another.  However, the City space sets are still space sets.  So it's not like you can just rebuild them into whatever you want.  That is the disadvantage of very large and very small pieces dominating the piece count.

One of the first two sets I ever received as a kids was Lunar Lander 565.  (The other was 392 Formula One Car.)  I rebuilt both into so many different ideas, it was near limitless.  I feel like the more specialized these sets get today, the less creativity kids have.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, MarleyMoose said:

I recently found 2x 60080 I had in a random unmarked box.

That's a different kind of Space Shuttle "Discovery." 😛

I've been a mess without the Brickfolio, but finding sets I forgot I bought has been a fun treat.

7 hours ago, coelian said:

It hasn't retired in the US right? I'm looking at historical prices of shuttles and surprisingly it's not as good as I thought. I have a bunch of 60230 the space people pack and it's moving very slowly as well.

I suppose that might depend on which shuttle. Kicking myself for passing on the Creator ones.

image.png.0d16cea2a38d4bbcdaf6d8ace220fd93.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, lodibricks said:

That's a different kind of Space Shuttle "Discovery." 😛

I've been a mess without the Brickfolio, but finding sets I forgot I bought has been a fun treat.

I suppose that might depend on which shuttle. Kicking myself for passing on the Creator ones.

image.png.0d16cea2a38d4bbcdaf6d8ace220fd93.png

I remember when 10231 was marked down to $85. I bought two. Should've pulled the trigger several more times. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Mathew said:

I honestly think AFOLs are more into space sets than kids.  My kids gravitate towards Minecraft if they’re going to build something. 

I agree with this.  Kids (and adults) will build what they relate to for the most part.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a great set. But I'll be honest. I was hoping for a massive full shuttle with launch pad/tower. But this is a first day buy for sure. I happened to buy a used (with box and instructions) 10231 back in May 2020 for $300. Paying up for a lego set is something I rarely do. This makes that purchase an even better decision. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

I agree with this.  Kids (and adults) will build what they relate to for the most part.

Right. You see it with stem toys. Most kids don’t naturally want to build a space shuttle that was retired before they were born. I bought my Saturn V from a mom last spring (when it was in demand and still “retired”). It was partially assembled and her daughter just wasn’t interested in it. I thought it was a great build and display piece. But I’m also a 46 year old man.   Similarly I remember my mom buying me a Technic set when I was a kid. I honestly don’t remember finishing it and would have preferred a space or castle set at the time (and still would). 

Edited by Mathew
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Right. You see it with stem toys. Most kids don’t naturally want to build a space shuttle that was retired before they were born. I bought my Saturn V from a mom last spring (when it was in demand and still “retired”). It was partially assembled and her daughter just wasn’t interested in it. I thought it was a great build and display piece.

I totally get this with the Saturn V, actually. Sure, I enjoyed assembling it and reveled in the modern SNOT construction, but it certainly was fiddly and it didn't really start looking like a rocket for a long time. The build on this shuttle seems more straight-forward though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, keymomachine said:

The build on this shuttle seems more straight-forward though.

I enjoyed the Saturn V build. Not completely sure why.  I usually find ship builds to be a little tedious even though they compromise a large portion of my Lego collection.  In fact I remember the Expedition build being one of my least favorite. My favorite builds are modulars or architecture. The brick stacking is relaxing. Never really cared for displaying them though. 

Edited by Mathew
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Mathew said:

I enjoyed the Saturn V build. Not completely sure why.  I usually find ship builds to be a little tedious even though they compromise a large portion of my Lego collection.  In fact I remember the Expedition build being one of my least favorite. My favorite builds are modulars or architecture. The brick stacking is relaxing. Never really cared for displaying them though. 

The Saturn V was three generations working on the build in our household..my boy's grandfather (my father-inlaw) got pretty into it. The best part is having such a large build for all of us to hold together at the end for a great picture. This was what LEGO was meant for.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/22/2021 at 12:18 PM, roxio said:

From Brickset article:

"In addition, VIPs will be able to purchase an exclusive item with their points; an Ulysses Space Probe, available for 1,800 VIP Points, which the Space Shuttle Discovery also deployed in 1990 on a mission to scan the Sun. Limited stocks available."

 

Any additional info yet on this? Will it be an option at checkout or something? Or will after purchase of the shuttle you'll be able to redeem points for the probe in the VIP rewards section and have 60 days to claim on your next purchase?

This is surely going to be a disaster... Lego, just make it a Day-1 GWP!

Edited by eliminator
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...