Minifigures or sets?

Should I start off collecting by buying sets and not opening them or by buying mini figures. If u chose minifigures what sites do u recommend for buying them

Buy minifigs from eBay (lots of them) or Bricklink. Amazon always has high prices for unrare figs. Most of the members here do a mix of both, I think, so you should probably do both. Find a balance in between to start out, and then gravitate towards the one you like more.

I like the Star Wars ones so when I buy them buy the ones for no more than 3.25 thanks comicblast

Glad to help you out. Just an FYI: Jabba the Hutt goes for $30 and the Rancor from the Rancor Pit goes for around $20, so not all minifigs are cheap. Jabba and the Rancor are not normal sized though, so I think we can make an exception for them!

And another thing. Should I only invest in Star Wars or should i invest in more than just Star Wars. If u think more than just Star Wars... Which kinds?

What are your interests? If it is just SW, I would just stick to it because you can't spend 3 hours looking at figs you dispise. Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, the Hobbit, and Ninjago are pretty popular also. I personally am a big fan of SW, so I generally invest in those over other sets/figs.

Alot of this investing business in personal preference.

Atta boy, stick to the good stuff! And it depends on if your going to invest or just collect. I personally collect Star wars minifigures and I love it but if you want to invest then buy the sets and don't open them and store them in your closet and don't let anything touch them because the better the box condition the more you can sell it for later!

I meant what else do u use besides brick picker to figure out how much mini figures r worth??

I also go on eBay and look under "Sold Listings" to find current trends of things that aren't on Brickpicker such as minifigs or Lego Displays. :) I just find a general average for selling prices or the item to figure out the neighborhood of what I should be paying for stuff is.