Fan Vote - Help Celebrate the 90th Anniversary of The LEGO Group!

Pseudoty

13 hours ago, raindroplet said:

As the young one, this is my opinion. I was 5 when Bionicle came out so I grew up alongside both bricks and technic pieces. LEGO in the early 2000s was pretty abysmal, both the designs and themes. However, Bionicle was consistently great as this weird, experimental product. It is synonymous with the best parts of LEGO from my childhood. It's frustrating to be told "that doesn't represent LEGO!" when its something you hold very dear to your heart. Especially when it's a product that literally saved the company from bankruptcy. 

I would much rather see it as part of the 90th rather than the 100th, because that's a perfect place to celebrate it. 

I really don't mind other things winning, but it's annoying to see people say that they want more space/castle/train nostalgia when those sets do actually still get a small, consistent amount of recognition from Creator or Ideas. I would much rather see Adventurers/Rock Raiders/Aquazone  than Castle/Space because those are unique themes that really do not have a modern equivalent. For castle, you can still build the same structures with the yellow bricks we see in every set. Something like Bionicle lives or dies on specialized parts; it can't really be recreated without new releases. 

Complements on a well articulated rebuttal. :)  My vote goes to Castle. I also really wanted western and would have been happy with adventures. In fairness Bionicle kept my Son interested in LEGO a little longer. He also really liked Exo force.  He really liked that "ZOIDS" cartoon (non LEGO) and the whole mech suit genre. If LEGO wanted to show an example of "look how far we've come in 90 years"  from wooden duck to huge technic or a big complex Bionicle, it could get the point across better than another castle. But if they want to build a set that Best represents LEGO in general...Castle it is!

• Like 1

I've never built Bionicle, so maybe it's not fair to completely dump on them, but if it's anything like building the Star Wars buildables, that's just not a fun experience.  Technic is similar in that I don't enjoy building those sets like I do a standard System set. 

I don't know why Lego doesn't roll through some of those older generic themes a little more, I believe the last castle run was around 2014 and the last pirates run was around 2016.  The Galaxy Squad was in 2015, which happened in "space".  These were both pretty small runs of sets and maybe they did poorly, but it be nice if they would circle back to these themes or sub themes of these ever so often.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 3:12 PM, fuzzy_bricks said:

I've never built Bionicle, so maybe it's not fair to completely dump on them, but if it's anything like building the Star Wars buildables, that's just not a fun experience.  Technic is similar in that I don't enjoy building those sets like I do a standard System set. 

I don't know why Lego doesn't roll through some of those older generic themes a little more, I believe the last castle run was around 2014 and the last pirates run was around 2016.  The Galaxy Squad was in 2015, which happened in "space".  These were both pretty small runs of sets and maybe they did poorly, but it be nice if they would circle back to these themes or sub themes of these ever so often.

space + knights + volcanos - bring back nexo knights - 🤑🤑🤑  who knew we were walking past shelves of arm sweepable sets even at msrp.  especially tech wizard showdown - over 5x msrp- outperforming raptor escape lol.

3 hours ago, cladner said:

space + knights + volcanos - bring back nexo knights - 🤑🤑🤑  who knew we were walking past shelves of arm sweepable sets even at msrp.  especially tech wizard showdown - over 5x msrp- outperforming raptor escape lol.

LOL I stocked up the Black Knights and ignored the dumpy looking Tech Wizard :dontknow:  This is why I do not tell people what to buy (anymore) :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

LOL I stocked up the Black Knights and ignored the dumpy looking Tech Wizard :dontknow:  This is why I do not tell people what to buy (anymore) :D

I think this set did well as was part of last nexo Knight wave and was very limited shelf duration (sells for about £100 on eBay, RRP was £40). This was also limited to John Lewis in UK. 

I remember seeing the last NK wave on a shelf in JL and thinking what fool would but them, then checked Ebay price and bought the last 2 sets on shelf lol.

It is abit of a roll of the dice though for these obscure themes which set will do well. In UK the other 2 big set from NK haven't did well (72005 and 72006). Easy to look back through hindsight and think what was a winner.

• 1 year later...