Fan Vote - Help Celebrate the 90th Anniversary of The LEGO Group!

Pseudoty

1 hour ago, Huskers1236 said:

Bionicle is trash. Splitting up the Castle themes killed them as they should have lumped them together and then when it overwhelmingly would have won they could have specified which sub-theme we would have wanted.  

Im not even a castle fan but would love to see new sets. It really is a shame they split off all the different "Factions"

I should have submitted Slizers theme as my alternate since it was my favorite of the random Technic series, never got into Bionicle

4 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

It isn’t. It is the same age group of people pumping GME. Castle was split into 4 sub themes so it probably would have been number 1. They did a bionicle reboot based on fan “demand” in 2015 and the sets didn’t sell well and the line was canceled in the middle of the second wave. This did make for some great returns on the rare sets needed to combine to make the master set. 

I pick up 10-12 of these 2015 Bionicle at Kmart (that was closing back in 2017) for $5, and sold them for $60-$115!!!!

• Like 2

I still think the Classic themes will cannibalize each other to allow Bionicle to win in the end, unfortunately.  Hope I'm wrong.  To me, the Bionicle/Hero Factory/Buildable Figures lines are the worst in Lego's history.  I know there are fans of the themes, and money to be made on them, but they just don't fit the Lego spectrum for me.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

Second round of voting is open and they fixed it and added Castle. 

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/6c5a05b4-e29c-47ec-8841-a2bce1f8933e

ETA link won’t work because of the affiliate redirect. 

B03A0F62-459A-4019-B4AC-04EB24F1D714.png

If you're just looking to cast your vote (can only pick one this time), then cut and paste ( https://ideas.lego.com/activities/29685eb8-7ce2-4085-a143-5ef9a3411861?query=&sort=most_recent ).

The second vote will close on February 10th at 11AM CEST 2021. Please make sure you get your vote in by then! Oh and be sure to let us know why you're voting for what you're voting for on the voting page.

Edited by exracer327

Good on Lego for putting Castle back in the mix.  Splitting the Castle and Space votes was not smart, but at least Classic Space came through.

Bionicle is the exact reason that Lego is not going to be transparent with this second vote - at least not initially.  There is no way that they allow their 90th Anniversary Commemorative Lego set to not look like a Lego set!  I guarantee that there will be more votes against Bionicle than for it, and even if the three reasonable choices (Space, Castle, Pirates) somehow split the votes just right, and allow Bionicle to have the most votes, we will not see a Bionicle set sporting this 90th Anniversary badge of honor.  Count on it.

On the other hand, if Space, Castle or Pirates wins the vote, then I could see the second vote suddenly becoming transparent.

FWIW, I voted for Classic Space.  I grew up on Blacktron and still love those sets.  In the comment section of my vote, I asked for a 4000+ piece set, with a nicely detailed base, a large ship, at least one smaller ground vehicle, and lots of spaceman/woman minifigs - hopefully in different colors, and maybe including a brand new color.  In my mind, it's a combination of 6987, 6954 and steroids!

• Like 3

I was going to choose Pirates, but I actually went Castle. I never had any sets growing up but would love to see modern building techniques applied to a retro design. I feel like we got a lot of Classic Space elements from TLM and of recent, we have been lucky to have some really nice Pirates or Pirate themed sets. 

Complete vote breakdown:

Round one is over, it's time for round two!

First off, with over 77,000 people participating in this fan vote, we have been absolutely blown away by the incredible interest and support. So thank you to everyone who made their voices heard in this fan vote. We have seen every single one of your votes and comments both on LEGO Ideas and off, it's mind-blowing how excited you all are. And we are too!

Enough of that. We've said thank you to you all, but you want to know what the top three will be!

The top three voted themes were:

1. Bionicle
  2. Classic Space
  3. Pirates

With a monumental amount of support, you can see the full numbers for each theme below:

1. Bionicle - 24799
  2. Classic Space - 18171
  3. Pirates - 15884
  4. Trains - 14855
  5. Adventurers - 13988
  6. Classic Castle -12603
  7. Forestmen - 8056
  8. Lion Knights - 7117
  9. Imperials - 7012
  10. Town - 6610
  11. Black Knights - 6427
  12. Model Team - 6397
  13. Dragon Knights - 6334
  14. Space Police - 5738
  15. Rock Raiders - 5298
  16. Studios - 5179
  17. Blacktron - 5088
  18. Ice Planet - 4503
  19. Black Falcons - 4244
  20. Aquazone - 4051
  21. M-Tron - 3555
  22. Alpha Team - 2807
  23. Paradisa - 2584
  24. Time Cruisers - 2234
  25. Wolfpack - 2111
  26. Exploriens - 1695
  27. Arctic - 1620
  28. Divers - 1424

12 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

Second round of voting is open and they fixed it and added Castle. 

LEGO separating all of the "classic" Space and Castle themes to begin with was a peculiar though somewhat understandable choice if anything to at least see where people's preferences lie.

In regards to Space, there were plenty of factions different enough from each other for the most part to warrant the split. Castle on the other hand had numerous groups originally released with a small selection in sets under each. For example, Dragon Knights/Masters had around eleven unique sets released whereas Wolfpack barely had three to their name. And aside from the various coat of arms and raised colors, the different ramparts blend in altogether cohesively.

Moving along, I was expecting to see Classic Space up at the top along with Bionicle. Admittedly I am a tad surprised to see Bionicle leading by that much while still at the same time perhaps not. Bionicle came out right at the start of the 2000's. People like me were in their teens back then taking high school, often a significant time growing up. Bionicle was like the odd mashup toy of a LEGO Technic action figure making the line feel more grown up than the norm. Not to mention the official DC Comics series sent with each issue for a number of years in the LEGO Club magazine further solidifying the theme as a whole more mature than anything previously attempted by the LEGO company.

Like it or not, Bionicle is LEGO same as Doom Eternal is Doom.

2 hours ago, TheOrcKing said:

Like it or not, Bionicle is LEGO same as Doom Eternal is Doom.

As the young one, this is my opinion. I was 5 when Bionicle came out so I grew up alongside both bricks and technic pieces. LEGO in the early 2000s was pretty abysmal, both the designs and themes. However, Bionicle was consistently great as this weird, experimental product. It is synonymous with the best parts of LEGO from my childhood. It's frustrating to be told "that doesn't represent LEGO!" when its something you hold very dear to your heart. Especially when it's a product that literally saved the company from bankruptcy. 

I would much rather see it as part of the 90th rather than the 100th, because that's a perfect place to celebrate it. 

I really don't mind other things winning, but it's annoying to see people say that they want more space/castle/train nostalgia when those sets do actually still get a small, consistent amount of recognition from Creator or Ideas. I would much rather see Adventurers/Rock Raiders/Aquazone  than Castle/Space because those are unique themes that really do not have a modern equivalent. For castle, you can still build the same structures with the yellow bricks we see in every set. Something like Bionicle lives or dies on specialized parts; it can't really be recreated without new releases. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, spener90 said:

Voted Castle. As much as I love Pirates, there are already 2 nice sets out currently.

If that was the reasoning, between lowenstein (+expansion) and blacksmith, has there not been the same number o fnice castle sets recently?

17 hours ago, CosmicSpeed said:

would love to see modern building techniques applied to a retro design. 

I voted space with this in mind.    Basically this.

But then again, Ive been going on a space kick as of late.  Truly, excited for any of these other than bionicle.(apologies for loading on the bionicle hate. they came out during my dark ages and anything constraction has no appeal to me.)

Edited by BricksBrotha
typo

18 minutes ago, BricksBrotha said:

If that was the reasoning, between lowenstein (+expansion) and blacksmith, has there not been the same number o fnice castle sets recently?

I voted space with this in mind.    Basically this in mind.

But then again, Ive been going on a space kick as of late.  Truly, excited for any of these other than bionicle.(apologies for loading on the bionicle hate. they came out during my dark ages and anything constraction has no appealed to me.)

Lowenstein, while I have it, wasn't actually made by Lego, but in partnership. So loosely counts. That being said, as long as anything but Bionicle wins, I am pleased.

• Like 2

My parent divorced when I was young. And at one house, I had only Classic Space and the other, City. I was never into Pirates or Castle.

After the Pirate Coaster came out, I’ve now developed a love for Pirates. And I have some vintage Castle stuff sitting in my “I’ve got to build this eventually” pile.

Any of those would be good, but I agree with the “no Bionicle”.

I’m pulling for Classic Space, tho. Yes Benny’s Spaceship was cool, but I’d like to see more than just that one set.

• Like 2