Talking Stocks in 2021

jaisonline

1 minute ago, jaisonline said:

I’m also in CCIV as the riskiest stock in my portfolio. Bought shares at $14, $16, & $18 and fairly cheap Aug $17.50 Call contracts. We should know soon enough if it will merge w/ Lucid. Lucid had an employee meeting today but the content is unconfirmed. Likely related to raising more funds through a SPAC or Direct Listing...

That was complete BS about that meeting.  That came from a well known pump and dumper who previously pumped up Nikola and lost a lot of people a lot of money.  Today it worked, since it spiked to $21 and cause the circuit breakers to kick in and for the share to be briefly suspended.  Lucid motors will list.  Question is whether it is with Klien and CCIV or another SPAC.  That’s the gamble.  If it does, this will jump to $30.  I’ll probably take some capital off the table then.  Let it run to listing and ticker change and sell.  

1 hour ago, Cheese said:

For the speculator who has nerves of steel and likes a gamble, look at SPAC's or Blank Check companies who initially list on an exchange and then look to partner a private company, so that they can then become public , bypassing the normal IPO process.  I'm in CCIV which is currently rumoured to be partnering Lucid Motors, a potential challenger to Tesla.  Having shares typically give you a quarter share in an option to buy for a strike price, post merger and listing.

i've been in blank check company OAC now since November .  in october they announced they were going to merge with online "telehealth" boner pill company HIMS and HERs.  price has gone from $10.xx -> $18 today.  last week they announced a partnership with Alex Rodriguez and Jennifer Lopez.  when the results of the merger vote are announced next week - of course going to be a yes - the stock will eventually start trading under HIMS and hopefully for my  trading account, some upwardly spiky price action.

Edited by cladner

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2021 at 2:15 PM, Furious_george said:

IXR on the ASX will likely  be the worlds biggest clay rare earths deposit outside of China. Hard to get a read on what China actually have left. Rare earths market is hot.

Another on the ASX is FYI. Mine and produce HPA (high purity alumina). 
Look up HPA and the worldwide demand for it. 

Both these have high probability of ten bagging.

Anyone get on IXR when I posted this? 3 bags up with assay , JORC and SS due within weeks.  There is sovereign risk , but you gotta risk it for the biscuit.😎

8 hours ago, Foreman Porgy said:

No one has mentioned GME yet? 🤭

It's all over the news. WSB has a good thesis on it though, I think it's quite ridiculous that a stock can be shorted more than 100%. Clearly fund managers are not philanthropists, B&M is a dying trade and there is no guarantee Ryan Cohen can turn the business around, but it's nice to hear a David vs Goliath story. The irony that the man in the street can use Robinhood to take down the whales will be quite the story if it happens. I took a position rooting for the little guys like myself, we'll see how this pans out.

8 minutes ago, freakchem said:

$AMC, let's go!

I heard an interview with AMC's CEO yesterday.  He said, "We're not worrying about bankruptcy for a while now."  Take away?  They were worrying about bankruptcy until the influx of cash came through yesterday. 

Also, part of AMC's liquidity influx is the issuance of another $500 million in 164.7 million shares of stock.  That will effectively double the number of shares outstanding for the company.  So earnings per share are going to be much more diluted if you buy the stock. 

Granted AMC stock has about doubled from their lows earlier this year, but everyone should be informed before buying-in.  AMC was having problems pre-pandemic and they are not out of the woods yet.  I have been watching this stock nearly all year but I'm not touching it even after the announcement yesterday.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amc-secures-917m-lifeline-avert-075015824.html

If you must own a theater stock, CNK Cinemark is a better bet - much healthier pre-pandemic.  They also have a better dividend than AMC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

GME makes me wonder how much the Robinhood 20something crowd is driving these stocks. I can't imagine any rational investor buying GME after the run it's had in the past week. That would be like buying Blockbuster stock after digital became a thing. Who shops at GME anymore in any significant way? Games are mostly digital now. And is there enough of a demand for vintage games to justify this kind of valuation? Way too risky for my blood.

26 minutes ago, Gonkalin said:

GME makes me wonder how much the Robinhood 20something crowd is driving these stocks. I can't imagine any rational investor buying GME after the run it's had in the past week. That would be like buying Blockbuster stock after digital became a thing. Who shops at GME anymore in any significant way? Games are mostly digital now. And is there enough of a demand for vintage games to justify this kind of valuation? Way too risky for my blood.

It's not about fundamentals and valuations, it's about funds shorting this stock into the ground and millennials wanting to take back some of the billions these funds have by banding together to create a short squeeze bigger than the one in 08. It's really ridiculous that a stock can be shorted more than 100% and I have no sympathy for them if the squeeze does materialize. There will be lots more volatility going forward, hedge funds managers will not go down without a fight. 

BTW, Elon Musk just tweeted as well pumping it up another 45% in after hours trading.

Edited by coelian
  • Like 1

These funds are not big banks, Freddie Mac or Fannie Mae, I think it's less likely to have a domino effect. The way I see it this will instead be a transfer of wealth from the ultra rich to the man in the street which is unprecedented. I am quite pleased to see the reddit posts of folks paying off student loans and donating to charities with the money they made.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

It's all a farce and the system is being played.

I agree.  Someone (or people) are playing the US market.  I have seen more small stocks jump 40-50% (in one day) in the past few weeks then ever before.  GME is up over 1000% in one year and not for any company related reason.  The fair market value of the stock as of yesterday is under $4.  I have no idea who in their right mind is paying that price for that stock.  I fear some very naive people are about to lose their shorts.  (No pun intended).

I just looked.  This is crazy.  Aftermarket trading is over $200 / share.  Anyone buying at that price is insane, ignorant or both.

14 minutes ago, coelian said:

These funds are not big banks, Freddie Mac or Fannie Mae, I think it's less likely to have a domino effect. The way I see it this will instead be a transfer of wealth from the ultra rich to the man in the street which is unprecedented. I am quite pleased to see the reddit posts of folks paying off student loans and donating to charities with the money they made.

Yes, because everything we read on the internet is true.  Sorry, I'm just a bit suspicious.  I'm sure some people are making a very nice profit.  But that is my problem - it's too nice.

Six months ago GME was $4 / share.  One month ago it was $29 / share.  Today it closed at $147.  Aftermarket today > $200.  What company news has come out during this time?  Nothing!  The company is struggling to be relevant in today's culture.  I have seen several of their stores close over the last few months with no fan fare.

I have to wonder what "little guy" is playing options?  I have been investing since I was 16 years old.  I went through the market crash of 1987 and came out pretty good.  I knew what to do in March 2020 when everything went south and came out pretty good this time too.  The worst that can happen by owning a stock is it goes to zero.  When playing options, you can owe money - LOTS of money if it goes bad.  The professionals know what is going on with GME and they are sitting on the side and watching.  It is not the big guys who are going to get burned in this.

My fear is, someone is playing a game with this stock to see how they can manipulate it and they appear to be using reddit.  Right now they seem to be messing with a bunch of cheap stocks.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/shorts-get-squeezed-morning-brief-111100682.html

I guess I'm just a little more cynical.  If people are making a profit - awesome, you got lucky, be happy.  But profiting off GME right now is not a genius move.  As others have stated, the company is not doing well.  I know the fair market value of GME is still valued at $4 / share.  No one in their right mind would have bought this stock with the expectation that it would go up like this.

1 hour ago, exracer327 said:

Yes, because everything we read on the internet is true.  Sorry, I'm just a bit suspicious.  I'm sure some people are making a very nice profit.  But that is my problem - it's too nice.

Six months ago GME was $4 / share.  One month ago it was $29 / share.  Today it closed at $147.  Aftermarket today > $200.  What company news has come out during this time?  Nothing!  The company is struggling to be relevant in today's culture.  I have seen several of their stores close over the last few months with no fan fare.

I have to wonder what "little guy" is playing options?  I have been investing since I was 16 years old.  I went through the market crash of 1987 and came out pretty good.  I knew what to do in March 2020 when everything went south and came out pretty good this time too.  The worst that can happen by owning a stock is it goes to zero.  When playing options, you can owe money - LOTS of money if it goes bad.  The professionals know what is going on with GME and they are sitting on the side and watching.  It is not the big guys who are going to get burned in this.

My fear is, someone is playing a game with this stock to see how they can manipulate it and they appear to be using reddit.  Right now they seem to be messing with a bunch of cheap stocks.

I guess I'm just a little more cynical.  If people are making a profit - awesome, you got lucky, be happy.  But profiting off GME right now is not a genius move.  As others have stated, the company is not doing well.  I know the fair market value of GME is still valued at $4 / share.  No one in their right mind would have bought this stock with the expectation that it would go up like this.

yeah, I remember reading an article of a teenager who committed suicide because he got in over his head w/ options and owed over $100k...the thing is, he was a very responsible; almost nerdy-like kid...and that sense of responsibility pushed him to kill himself.  Even his parents supported his market activity because they saw it as a positive in his life.

social media has been weaponized/monetized to an extreme level...we recently saw it in politics and now it's making headlines w/ its market forces...now people's retirements are in jeopardy. 

4 hours ago, exracer327 said:

Not totally going against what you are saying, but your last paragraph isn't completely true.  I follow an investing thread on another forum and numerous people knew and let us know GME was going to run crazy simply because of it's metrics and short float.  No, I do not get into options, nor understand them completely, but if you do understand them then profiting right now is the definition of genius investing.  As with any investment you have to be aware of the risks involved.

AMC is more then likely going to run almost like GME did.  Already up over $8 in the aftermarket with a $4.96 close.

3 hours ago, NIevo said:

Not totally going against what you are saying, but your last paragraph isn't completely true.  I follow an investing thread on another forum and numerous people knew and let us know GME was going to run crazy simply because of it's metrics and short float.  No, I do not get into options, nor understand them completely, but if you do understand them then profiting right now is the definition of genius investing.  As with any investment you have to be aware of the risks involved.

AMC is more then likely going to run almost like GME did.  Already up over $8 in the aftermarket with a $4.96 close.

the problem is the "itch"...or "come back"...anyone profiting big on GME will be back in the game on the next stock...easy money is just too strong of a siren's call.  By all means if one can make the quick bucks and walk away ahead, BRAVO! but human nature says that guy will be back again...and again...getting bolder and taking more risk each time.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 10:31 PM, NIevo said:

Apparently, the Reddit user (Deepf**kingvalue) that instigated the activity on the Wall Street Bets forum has been holding GME for over a year. He's a streamer so it should be easy to verify this if you care enough to do so. He might know what he's doing or he might be an idiot that got lucky.

Which forum did you see the GME mentioned on? I don't have any financial interest in the stock but, I'm enjoying the drama.

When a stock is shorted 150% and your positions are open knowledge, you open yourself to attack. Now that the whole thing has blown up globally, I think it's going to be ugly for the shorts. It may appear to be a pump and dump, and you think who's going to be the sucker that buys from me at the top? These suckers will be the same folks who shorted a stock 150%.