Talking Stocks in 2021

jaisonline

IXR on the ASX will likely  be the worlds biggest clay rare earths deposit outside of China. Hard to get a read on what China actually have left. Rare earths market is hot.

Another on the ASX is FYI. Mine and produce HPA (high purity alumina). 
Look up HPA and the worldwide demand for it. 

Both these have high probability of ten bagging.

Edited by Furious_george
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TANV said:

TSLA is going nuts this morning. My shares are pleasantly surprised but it just hit its 52-week high. What's going on here? Are there more news out?

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-25k-car-release-date-2022-china-report/

That’s the only thing I can find, but it makes sense why it’s going up. Releasing the car a few years early is huge. 

2 hours ago, TANV said:

TSLA is going nuts this morning. My shares are pleasantly surprised but it just hit its 52-week high. What's going on here? Are there more news out?

lol - this morning.  it's up 11 straight days.  its up 20% this week.

hodl is the news.  if no one is selling, the price goes up.

now that tsla is part of s&p, anytime someone goes out and buys S&P ETF, like the SPY the ETF has to go out and buy TSLA shares.  so there is a constant base level of TSLA buying going on brought about by SP inclusion.  TSLA shareholders are very stingy bahstahds and are reluctant to part with their shares.  so price goes up to try and get them to part with their shares. 

the main concern for greedy TSLA shareholders is another large secondary share offering by Tesla but that is not really needed atm due tesla being flush with cash from the last 2 offerings so Elon is letting all the shareholders win (included himself).  Also the last offerings haven't done anything to dent the price.  I can't imagine what the price will be when they are getting ready to deliver large cargo trucks to companies in a year or 2.  

i'm getting a nice continued rise out of OAC -> HIMS online boner pill SPAC shares this morning.  hoping for a mid-double digit percentage pop when the acquisition completes and is announced.

54 minutes ago, cladner said:

lol - this morning.  it's up 11 straight days.  its up 20% this week.

hodl is the news.  if no one is selling, the price goes up.

now that tsla is part of s&p, anytime someone goes out and buys S&P ETF, like the SPY the ETF has to go out and buy TSLA shares.  so there is a constant base level of TSLA buying going on brought about by SP inclusion.  TSLA shareholders are very stingy bahstahds and are reluctant to part with their shares.  so price goes up to try and get them to part with their shares. 

the main concern for greedy TSLA shareholders is another large secondary share offering by Tesla but that is not really needed atm due tesla being flush with cash from the last 2 offerings so Elon is letting all the shareholders win (included himself).  Also the last offerings haven't done anything to dent the price.  I can't imagine what the price will be when they are getting ready to deliver large cargo trucks to companies in a year or 2.  

i'm getting a nice continued rise out of OAC -> HIMS online boner pill SPAC shares this morning.  hoping for a mid-double digit percentage pop when the acquisition completes and is announced.

TSLA has 37% of the market cap of all the world-wide automobile makers...

17 hours ago, TheBrickClique said:

TSLA has 37% of the market cap of all the world-wide automobile makers...

It is really amazing. Apparently the rise was because of the announced cheaper Model Y, as well as the 7 seater. But the stock rise can be equated to adding the valuation of roughly 2 Ford Motors market caps. I realize more goes into it than what I stated and my math may be somewhat flawed (just cross multiplying share price from today with the market cap, with yesterdays share price and X), but this just seems crazy. This is why I will never short a stock.

(Percentages shown after stock symbols indicate growth or loss since initial purchase)  2 weeks ago I sold $140K worth of AAPL (I've owned AAPL since before the iPod existed) and I reinvested all that money into clean energy stocks (some individual and some ETFs).  I bought ACES ALPS clean energy ETF (+24%), ALB Albemarie Corp (+32%), BATT Amplify Lithium & Battery Technology ETF (+19%), DQ Daqo New Energy Corp (+27%), GM General Motors +4% (for future electric cars - I bought Tesla 3 years ago so I m already invested there), NEE Xextera Energy Inc (+9%), TPIC TPI Composites Inc (+22%). The buyin time was good with Biden coming into the administration and even better with Dems getting Senate control. I figure a little more diversification away from AAPL isn't a bad thing.  I tend to be a buy and hold kind of investor not a day trader and rarely do I own a stock for less than a year. Other stocks I own and I think I've owned all of these for a couple years or more (with the exception of Zoom and American Airlines which I bought after it had dropped 50% back in march - AAL - Down -5%). Other Stocks I currently own: ADBE Adobe +155%, BABA Alibaba +30%, AMZN Amazon +299%, NFLX Nexflix +923%, ROKU +231%, SVMK SurveyMonkey +83%, TSLA Tesla +1,213%, TTD Trade Desk +208%, ZM - bought in March 2020 +70%, CGC Canopy Growth +36%, SMG Scotts Miracle Grow +118%, The only stock I have that is negative is American Airlines which is down 5% and Morgan Stanley (which I only own because I bought E Trade stock 20 years ago and lost $4000 during the .com internet bubble. Morgans Stanley bought E-Trade. I never sold it so It's still down -65%). I recently sold all my position of WORK Slack for a bout a 10% gain. This was after being down 50% so I was happy to sell for any profit. I sold right after the stock popped after the announcement of a possible takeover a few months ago. You only make or lose money when you sell. My individual stocks (which is about half my portfolio) is very tech heavy and I'm completely aware of that. I also own many mutual funds of various kinds which help to diversify my holdings between big and small cap and domestic and international exposure. 

Edited by Gonkalin

1) Watched a CNBC segment last week. Automakers are having supply chain issues due to semiconductor chip shortages.

https://www.ft.com/content/e264fd41-7ee9-4fba-be3c-21446298efd9

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ford-other-auto-makers-cut-output-on-chip-shortage-11610280001

2) Roblox decided to go the direct listing route after canceling IPO.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/06/roblox-raises-520-million-ahead-of-planned-direct-listing.html

Any opinion on Twitter stocks?  Love him or hate him, Trump is a lightning rod for this platform.  Now that Twitter permanently banned him, is the future still bright for this platform?  It looks like a bad business decision to remove 1 of the most popular assets from a platform.  To me it is as if Nike decided to never produce Air Jordan ever again.  What am I not seeing?

TWTR is heading down, is it time to scoop some up?

NO DISCUSSION ON POLITICS. 

13 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Any opinion on Twitter stocks?  Love him or hate him, Trump is a lightning rod for this platform.  Now that Twitter permanently banned him, is the future still bright for this platform?  It looks like a bad business decision to remove 1 of the most popular assets from a platform.  To me it is as if Nike decided to never produce Air Jordan ever again.  What am I not seeing?

Twitter makes its money the same way Facebook does: data licensing and advertisements. It's global base is far greater than it's domestic US base so it has room to grow. However, before COVID-19, it was stagnant and revenues reflected it accordingly. With COVID-19, increased usage due to the pandemic, civil unrest and other events allowed it to gain more users and sources of revenue.

While Trump undoubtedly drew many eyeballs, he wasn't the most followed account. The top three are Barack Obama, Justin Bieber, and Katy Perry. So as long as OTHER people use Twitter, they'll be fine.

At this time though, TWTR continues to fight the battle against misinformation and also invests more of its money into R&D in order to compete with FB and find new ways to monetize its data and resources. All that costs has led to a decrease in its balance sheets accordingly. Long term, TWTR looks to be in a good position for further development but right now, it's all wait and see.

I recommend Holding and if possible, Buying some to hold.

$dkng / DraftKings and other gambling apps are higher after Cuomo wants it in NY. Bette4 yet, it appears Cuomo might have realized running a state sports book is far more involved than a lottery. Thus, it might not be trying to create his own.

I still favor DKNG & Flutter over other apps due to daily fantasy sports revenue.

I would be worried about buying Twitter as a stock unless it’s back in the $30s.
They have a long history of having a hard time generating Ad revenue unlike Instagram / Facebook & SnapChat

The management team of Twitter is incompetent.

Holding such a great and unique platform, guess what the return is? 

The stock closed at $41.65 the first day it went public, and it is around $48 right now.  For over 7 years, the total return is 15%!!!!

Twitter would be much better investment without Jack Dorsey.

Big Disney cost cutting news :

1) Starting in 2022, Disney (DIS) will no longer offer the "Magical Express" -- a free shuttle bus that brought guests staying at Walt Disney World hotels to and from Orlando International Airport. Disney did not operate the "Magical Express" service; it was subcontracted to Mears Transportation, an Orlando-based company. As a result, Testa said the move was "absolutely a cost-cutting measure."

2) Separately, Disney confirmed that another popular perk that was suspended amid the pandemic will not return. Called "Extra Magic Hours," this feature allowed guests who stay at Disney hotels to enter theme parks earlier than other visitors or stay in them later in the evening, sometimes adding an hour or more to their park stay.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

Big Disney cost cutting news :

1) Starting in 2022, Disney (DIS) will no longer offer the "Magical Express" -- a free shuttle bus that brought guests staying at Walt Disney World hotels to and from Orlando International Airport. Disney did not operate the "Magical Express" service; it was subcontracted to Mears Transportation, an Orlando-based company. As a result, Testa said the move was "absolutely a cost-cutting measure."

2) Separately, Disney confirmed that another popular perk that was suspended amid the pandemic will not return. Called "Extra Magic Hours," this feature allowed guests who stay at Disney hotels to enter theme parks earlier than other visitors or stay in them later in the evening, sometimes adding an hour or more to their park stay.

this is big

#1: for anyone who desperately looking for a close gas station and then all the change necessary (turnpikes galore) to drop off rental car and get to Orlando Airport...last time we were there my wife had a meltdown and we found ourselves blowing a few toll booths to catch a flight

#2 The MAIN reason to pay the high Disney hotel prices just got eliminated 

1 minute ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

this is big

#1: for anyone who desperately looking for a close gas station and then all the change necessary (turnpikes galore) to drop off rental car and get to Orlando Airport...last time we were there my wife had a meltdown and we found ourselves blowing a few toll booths to catch a flight

#2 The MAIN reason to pay the high Disney hotel prices just got eliminated 

#1 We used Uber to get around Orlando.  Maybe a little bit more expensive than car rental but I did not have to drive or park during my vacation.

#2 Agreed

• Like 1

Disney did change us extra for Magical Express (just before checkout) but now it appears the service was partially subsidized. Thus, they are getting rid of it.

Whenever we went to Universal Orlando & , my wife and I always wished they offered their own Magical Express service. ... especially when it came to luggage.

As a DIS shareholder, I’m not sure if this is a true benefit through cost cutting. Sure, it will reduce cost but at the same time, it was part of the tremendous customer experience. Basically, will this cut shift some visitors to other theme parks?

I wonder if DIS will eventually offer or partner up for some sort of service down the road.

Update :

Mears Transportation, which operates Magical Express, sent the following statement regarding Monday's announcement.

"Walt Disney made us aware of their decision," Mears spokesperson Roger Chapin said. "While we are disappointed Disney will no longer offer this service, we intend to continue offering transportation services between the airport and all area theme parks and hotels to meet the demand of our visitors now and in the future."

In November Brightline revealed plans to build a station at Disney Springs for its near-high-speed rail service. The company is currently building a route that will connect Orlando International Airport and South Florida.

Disney's Magical Express service launched 15 years ago as a benefit for visitors staying at Disney World resort hotels.

Do we have CHWY long investors? This company seems to have so much love on social media, CNBC, & a few other outlets.

I started researching the company. Glanced over the financial basics & visited the website. Then compared the web site to Amazon. Looked up 5 different products we have for our 5 year 60lb pup.

I don’t get it. Amazon (including Subscribe & Save) had the same products for the same cost if not cheaper cheaper. I didn’t compare against Petsmart, Walmart, or Target.

Am I wrong to look at Chewy as another single niche retail company without physical stores that will ultimately struggle if acquired or do well enough to be acquired. I keep thinking Zappos, Diapers.com, CD-NOW, pets.com, etc...

What do you think?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaisonline said:

Do we have CHWY long investors? This company seems to have so much love on social media, CNBC, & a few other outlets.

I started researching the company. Glanced over the financial basics & visited the website. Then compared the web site to Amazon. Looked up 5 different products we have for our 5 year 60lb pup.

I don’t get it. Amazon (including Subscribe & Save) had the same products for the same cost if not cheaper cheaper. I didn’t compare against Petsmart, Walmart, or Target.

Am I wrong to look at Chewy as another single niche retail company without physical stores that will ultimately struggle if acquired or do well enough to be acquired. I keep thinking Zappos, Diapers.com, CD-NOW, pets.com, etc...

What do you think?

I don't own any CHWY but I do use them for cat food.  They price aggressively and will occasionally beat out Amazon and Petco (PetSmart doesn't seem to price online as aggressively so I don't normally check them anymore).  To me, I don't understand how they are making money and think they will eventually suffer the same fate Pets.com did in the 90's.

I don't own any CHWY but I do use them for cat food.  They price aggressively and will occasionally beat out Amazon and Petco (PetSmart doesn't seem to price online as aggressively so I don't normally check them anymore).  To me, I don't understand how they are making money and think they will eventually suffer the same fate Pets.com did in the 90's.
Chewy is owned by PetSmart, so it is sort of their online only business. Similar arrangement as how Vitacost.com is owned by Kroger, or Jet.com is owned by Wal-Mart (but that might have shut down now).
  • Like 1

FYI.. FedEx news.

“11:59a ET 1/15/2021 - Dow Jones
FedEx Adding More Surcharges on Large Shippers -- Market Talk

11:59 ET - FedEx will hit large shippers with another surcharge on shipments to homes as shipping volumes and costs both remain high.

The delivery company says that starting Feb. 15, customers who shipped more than 30,000 packages a week will be charged an extra 30 cents on all packages delivered to residential addresses.

The surcharge will remain in place until further notice, much like the extension of the peak surcharges on oversized items and more. Like rival UPS, FedEx is finding itself with strong pricing power during the pandemic, and it's not afraid to use it.

FedEx falls 1.7% to $251.93. “

For the speculator who has nerves of steel and likes a gamble, look at SPAC's or Blank Check companies who initially list on an exchange and then look to partner a private company, so that they can then become public , bypassing the normal IPO process.  I'm in CCIV which is currently rumoured to be partnering Lucid Motors, a potential challenger to Tesla.  Having shares typically give you a quarter share in an option to buy for a strike price, post merger and listing.

Edited by Cheese

2 minutes ago, Cheese said:

For the speculator who has nerves of steel and likes a gamble, look at SPAC's or Blank Check companies who initially list on an exchange and then look to partner a private company, so that they can then become public , bypassing the normal IPO process.  I'm in CCIV which is currently rumoured to be partnering Lucid Motors, a potential challenger to Tesla.

I've been playing this game for a little while now, with considerable success. I'm concerned for the long term viability of these, but short term it seems to be working quite well.

For the speculator who has nerves of steel and likes a gamble, look at SPAC's or Blank Check companies who initially list on an exchange and then look to partner a private company, so that they can then become public , bypassing the normal IPO process.  I'm in CCIV which is currently rumoured to be partnering Lucid Motors, a potential challenger to Tesla.  Having shares typically give you a quarter share in an option to buy for a strike price, post merger and listing.

I’m also in CCIV as the riskiest stock in my portfolio. Bought shares at $14, $16, & $18 and fairly cheap Aug $17.50 Call contract. We should know soon enough if it will merge w/ Lucid. Lucid had an employee meeting today but the content is unconfirmed. Likely related to raising more funds through a SPAC or Direct Listing...

Seems like this will either be a HR or K if this was baseball.

47 minutes ago, spener90 said:

I've been playing this game for a little while now, with considerable success. I'm concerned for the long term viability of these, but short term it seems to be working quite well.

Too many people have now jumped on the bandwagon.  Better to buy the warrants and sell when merger is confirmed and sell on the spike up.  This reminds me of the dotcom bubble and commodities bubble at the start of the last decades.  Remember when Leveraged Gold and Silver ETFs were all the rage.