3315 - Olivia's House

cflannagan

There is nothing close to Olivia's house in the new friends' sets. Plus as the other older sets have shown ( treehouse, stables, vet, ect...), people still seek them  even when other cheaper alternatives exist.. I mean why do people still pay 50$+ for a treehouse even you can get ariel treasure for 12.99!!!

Guest TabbyBoy

The house is just a frontage and friend's daughters have complained about it. For a few quid more it's Dolphin Cruiser all the way for me. I go in big when these drop below

There is nothing close to Olivia's house in the new friends' sets. Plus as the other older sets have shown ( treehouse, stables, vet, ect...), people still seek them  even when other cheaper alternatives exist.. I mean why do people still pay 50$+ for a treehouse even you can get ariel treasure for 12.99!!!

I know the Treehouse has been in at least one episode of the show.

Yes but Olivia's House will be available thru 2014. We do not know if a new house will be available in 2015. I would bet yes.

• 2 months later...

Yes that is the problem with the generic Friends sets. They will always have a house and stables. You cannot compare to a modular that will never be rehashed (i.e. FB). They may do ok but there are certainly far superior choices to invest in.

Excellent point.  Friends sets on the whole exhibit excellent short term ROI.  But if you want a set that really excels, look at other themes and specialized sets because in a lot of ways, Friends sets are like City sets, and will be remade in similar fashion year after year.  I also don't see some collector shelling out $500 for any Friends set either.  

• 1 month later...

Okay, I feel compelled to ask. Is this set ever going to retire? For a while the Walmart & Target around me were sold out while Kmart had a handful on clearance at one time last year, then closer to the start of this year Walmart still had a couple lingering on a high shelf yet nothing available in Target, now both retailers are filled up to the brim once more with them. Could this become the Death Star of Friends? ....Or perhaps in this case, a Friend Star? :blink: I would think this holiday season it may or should completely retire but who knows anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought there was going to a mall of some sort.

A different area as it were but I believe the Heartlake Shopping Mall will replace the Summer Riding Camp if anything just for having a similar yet higher retail and size. I can only figure Olivia's House continues to be a decent sized selling set leading it to yield another year (at least the end of this one) of shelf life.

Guest TabbyBoy

IMHO, the Dolphin Cruiser is the best Xmas flip if you can get it at half price or less. Argos' 3-for-2 sale last year brought them down to

• 3 months later...

What are the thoughts now about this set. Still plenty in stock I see. I read the review of Quacs and it semt a good investment.

It does have very nice colors and parts. That blender and armchair alone are brilliant. 

Would I be overestimating that it would be worth 150% MSRP at christmas next year? I read that the production stopped a few months ago??

I wouldn't be surprised if production stopped, but old stock takes time to clear. This set was available for a looooong time, which doesn't help, and the Disney Princess line and new Elves line might absorb some of the 'girl Lego' dollars, so I'm not sold on this set (even though I have some). I did get mine at a nice discount after Christmas last year, but I wouldn't touch these at anything less than 35% off or more.

I wouldn't be surprised if production stopped, but old stock takes time to clear. This set was available for a looooong time, which doesn't help, and the Disney Princess line and new Elves line might absorb some of the 'girl Lego' dollars, so I'm not sold on this set (even though I have some). I did get mine at a nice discount after Christmas last year, but I wouldn't touch these at anything less than 35% off or more.

It's at around 40% off at this moment and was pondering if I should buy but you're right. The Disney Princess looks tough competition.

I have a few, and I still like it. The key to me is that they are releasing another similar house in the same line. If Friends sticks around for a bit longer, which it seems to be, then it should appreciate nicely. I think 150% by next Christmas might be stretching it though. Gonna take a while to clear these out. 

• Like 1

I have a few, and I still like it. The key to me is that they are releasing another similar house in the same line. If Friends sticks around for a bit longer, which it seems to be, then it should appreciate nicely. I think 150% by next Christmas might be stretching it though. Gonna take a while to clear these out. 

120% is more reasonable expectation? Still is nice when bought at -35/40%