10276 - Roman Colosseum

MotorCityMuscle

My Colosseum from the Lego SaH arrived today. Without the chariot and other Christmas promotion. Those are arriving separately apparently. But wow, this box is huge and heavy! I was at the Lego store yesterday and saw it displayed, and it’s a work of art. I love it. It was planned to be a Christmas gift... but with prices floating ~$200 more than MSRP on eBay, there is some temptation to sell. Must resist...

For those that plan to resell these, be aware the black box makes every little scuff, mark, or scratch tend to stand out more vs other colored boxes.

F0C7DFB2-AFF6-4245-AD7A-05DB858610F6.jpeg

• Like 1

I used to live right next to the Coliseum. There are always a bunch of dudes dressed like gladiators standing around outside waiting for tourists to take pictures with them so they can ask for money. 

If/when i buy it I will put them in there too. Value of Series 5 and 17 gladiators just went up. 

Highlights:  One day a car went off the road above the Coliseum off the side of the hill into the trees and one of them snapped into action running towards it and pulling the driver out. Real life hero. 

Highlight #2. Saw Jerry Seinfeld eating a sandwich in the cafe across the street. Said "Hi Jerry" like I knew him and he said "Hi" back.

I know, cool story bro. Saving my pennies and trying to figure out where to put it...maybe it can be turned into a coffee table with enough clear bricks and a glass top..?  

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Hardwired said:

I made my killing on the Sian when it launched.  I just didn't have the room to store any Coliseums.  Might have to buy a bigger garage.  

Also, keep it up with the Dickens jokes, I don't see that ever getting old.

luckily my maturity is stuck in high school so you should be good.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

From a creative Lego design standpoint, I really like this set, though I can see spots all over it where it could have been better.  It's very well suited to tweaking with your own improvements IMO, which could be part of the fun.

From an investment standpoint, I think this set will do very well, despite the fact that there are a lot of Lego fans out there who are not going to be interested in it.

First, this is basically a huge Architecture set, and lots of Lego fans don't like Architecture.  So there's that.  But this thing is expensive at $550 and that will keep people away, even the ones who love it.

Further, because it is not going to have widespread appeal, it is never going to sell in huge numbers, and I bet Lego has planned a reasonably short production run.

These are the kinds of sets that go up in value.  There is always going to be the guy out there who wants this, especially those like me who are obsessed with military history, ancient history, and Roman history...and they are going to come wanting this thing.  When they do, they are not going to find 10 million for sale on Ebay, as they might with the Pet Shop.

I think this is a great investment idea, and it's a great Lego set, full stop.  Yet could have been better! 

8 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

From a creative Lego design standpoint, I really like this set, though I can see spots all over it where it could have been better.  It's very well suited to tweaking with your own improvements IMO, which could be part of the fun.

From an investment standpoint, I think this set will do very well, despite the fact that there are a lot of Lego fans out there who are not going to be interested in it.

First, this is basically a huge Architecture set, and lots of Lego fans don't like Architecture.  So there's that.  But this thing is expensive at $550 and that will keep people away, even the ones who love it.

Further, because it is not going to have widespread appeal, it is never going to sell in huge numbers, and I bet Lego has planned a reasonably short production run.

These are the kinds of sets that go up in value.  There is always going to be the guy out there who wants this, especially those like me who are obsessed with military history, ancient history, and Roman history...and they are going to come wanting this thing.  When they do, they are not going to find 10 million for sale on Ebay, as they might with the Pet Shop.

I think this is a great investment idea, and it's a great Lego set, full stop.  Yet could have been better! 

Yeah, I'm guessing a similar lifespan to Sydney Opera House. Though, I would expect better performance from the Colosseum. I'll definitely be grabbing this (though I won't be investing in it...too big for me to bother with).

Edited by minicoopers11

3 minutes ago, minicoopers11 said:

Yeah, I'm guessing a similar lifespan to Sydney Opera House. Though, I would expect better performance from the Colosseum. I'll definitely be grabbing this.

Interesting that you mention the opera house.  I assume you mean the big Creator set and not the little architecture set!  

That thing has been EOL for 4 years now, and doing a quick search for new box sales at Ebay I see it is a pretty poor performer.  Gone up very little over MSRP over the years!  I'm a little surprised by that, but it was always a flawed piece of Lego design IMO.  The brown base is huge and clunky, and Legos just don't replicate the compound curves of the roofs correctly.