10276 - Roman Colosseum

MotorCityMuscle

1 hour ago, exciter1 said:

I wonder if they'll backtrack because of the history of this beast?

Try It All — Yosemite Sam Winchester? Is Nero Metatron? Who is...

I thought that too. With their stance on war and backpedaling on the Osprey, coupled with the history of this building, I wonder if it will actually become a reality? Although, i'm sure they'll find a way to spin it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MotorCityMuscle said:

I thought that too. With their stance on war and backpedaling on the Osprey, coupled with the history of this building, I wonder if it will actually become a reality? Although, i'm sure they'll find a way to spin it.

Architecture Studio 2.0 with enough off white bricks and instructions to build Colosseum ? :P

The Arc de Triomphe was a monument built by Napoleon to celebrate his military conquests yet it is in the Paris set.  Also I never understood how Lego says it does not do graveyards or religious sets yet there is the Taj Mahal.  

I get why glorifying violence is bad idea for toys but certainly they can distinguish that some of these sets are being built by adults, evidenced by the new box art and color.  I am confused as to the overall point of trying to tip toe through history especially as it's being made (as was the case with the police sets advertising).

You've gotta be a real snowflake if you don't see how the BRANDED Osprey set didn't line up with their stated cultural values. When it was pointed out by peace activists that the Osprey isn't actually currently used in Search and Rescue, regardless of what colors you build it in, they kind of had no choice but to concede the point and ax the set.

On the topic of the Roman Colosseum, sure it has a historical purpose of torture/violence. But it was also built 1,950 years ago. Lego has for a long time split hairs between historical violence up to like 1900 (Castle, Vikings, Wild West, Pirates), fantasy violence (Star Wars, Marvel/DC), and modern weapons of war (though the association with Marvel/DC has really blurred this in recent years). The Colosseum fits squarely into the historical category, and is (I assume) being presented as a landmark building, one of the wonders of the world. As I understand it, the policy of no modern warfare stems from the Nazi occupation of Denmark during WWII (correct me if I'm wrong here), this just isn't that.

16 minutes ago, keymomachine said:

You've gotta be a real snowflake if you don't see how the BRANDED Osprey set didn't line up with their stated cultural values. When it was pointed out by peace activists that the Osprey isn't actually currently used in Search and Rescue, regardless of what colors you build it in, they kind of had no choice but to concede the point and ax the set.

On the topic of the Roman Colosseum, sure it has a historical purpose of torture/violence. But it was also built 1,950 years ago. Lego has for a long time split hairs between historical violence up to like 1900 (Castle, Vikings, Wild West, Pirates), fantasy violence (Star Wars, Marvel/DC), and modern weapons of war (though the association with Marvel/DC has really blurred this in recent years). The Colosseum fits squarely into the historical category, and is (I assume) being presented as a landmark building, one of the wonders of the world. As I understand it, the policy of no modern warfare stems from the Nazi occupation of Denmark during WWII (correct me if I'm wrong here), this just isn't that.

So no trap doors for the lions and tigers?  Sad.

5 minutes ago, Huskers1236 said:

So no trap doors for the lions and tigers?  Sad.

That'd be sweet but I think even at microfig scale it would take up a single stall garage. 

2 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

would be cool if they did a Pirate Bay thing and have the Colosseum convert from how it looked when it was active and the current day...tourist and all

This would be cool. I would also like to be able to flood it and do a small naval battle.

7 minutes ago, keymomachine said:

That'd be sweet but I think even at microfig scale it would take up a single stall garage. 

At 1 stud:1 foot scale (minifig scalish) The Colosseum would be about 16.3' x 13.4' or 20 by 14 standard baseplates. 

For microfig scale (assumed 1:130ish) like hogwarts it would be more like 4.75' x 4' or 6 by 4 standard baseplates, ok not nearly a single stall garage. MAKE IT HAPPEN, LEGO!

• 1 month later...
  • TheOrcKing changed the title to 10276 - Roman Colosseum