71374 - Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)

57 minutes ago, Pebble&Park said:

I haven't stayed up until midnight for a new set in a LONG time, but will be for this one.

Ditto.  I also saw the press release on Brickset showing $199 and got excited.  If it's $229 that's fine, I guess, just glad it's not $249 like I originally thought it would be.  Still pricey, but I'm a huge fan.  8-Bit Mario tattoo on my arm.  Mario and I were released in the same year, Mario in stores and me from the womb.  We share a lifelong bond beyond the years of playing as a kid.  My age should put my interest in the SNES but because I had an older brother I had the NES influence.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Frank Brickowski said:

Isnt this just like building a LEGO mini-model of the laptop standing on your desk? I dont get it - whats the point of this?

To me this is a neat display piece for my desk at work.  Yes I could display the real system there, but that would for sure raise some eyebrows.  OTOH, this set is eyecatching without the need to explain why I have real video games system at work :D  

I'm in the minority. I never got an NES but I did have a SNES, which I loved playing. I also played Super Mario Bros in the arcade religiously, but this set does nothing for me. I feel like the novelty of the scrolling scenes will wear off pretty quick. 

On the other hand, if they come out with more games/scenes, this set will do well, being the first. 

• Like 2

Think of the custom Mario levels people will build with this.  Wasn't going to buy the starter kit, but now I feel obligated.  Well played Lego.  

Makes me wonder if there isn’t going to be an even bigger demand to part out the starter kit now. That Mario will be in demand.

1 hour ago, MusiKyle said:

Ditto.  I also saw the press release on Brickset showing $199 and got excited.  If it's $229 that's fine, I guess, just glad it's not $249 like I originally thought it would be.  Still pricey, but I'm a huge fan.  8-Bit Mario tattoo on my arm.  Mario and I were released in the same year, Mario in stores and me from the womb.  We share a lifelong bond beyond the years of playing as a kid.  My age should put my interest in the SNES but because I had an older brother I had the NES influence.

$229.99

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/nintendo-entertainment-system-71374

12 minutes ago, locidm said:

Look at the blink of the Zelda cartridge! Nintendo knew how to get collectors excited!

Zelda was an unknown commodity in 86. I remember the original commercial made little sense. But for some reason I wanted the game. The gold packaging probably helped. 

• 3 weeks later...

(few minutes ago):Got an order in ,Maybe more who knows, I did try a few times.I think first one with paypal even though said not, then glitch had me trying to re-pay for same order i think so After i emptied and re added to cart it went on card right away

Also really dig that Halloween hay ride set 40423

Edited by Belac

On 7/14/2020 at 5:43 PM, Frank Brickowski said:

I dont get the general idea behind this set: Essentially building a scaled-down version of something you already have at home (console + tv). I mean building with LEGO fundamentally is about recreating something you do NOT already have at home for real, like ISS, s apace rocket, a rollercoaster, expensive cars, a wrecked boat, a hospital and so forth. This NES set is the complete opposite of that idea, this might be the main reason why I dont get it that so many folks around here are going crazy about it.

Isnt this just like building a LEGO mini-model of the laptop standing on your desk? I dont get it - whats the point of this?

I know I don’t have one of those 80s TVs lying around here! It’s all about the nostalgia. 

8 hours ago, Kittytoot said:

I know I don’t have one of those 80s TVs lying around here! It’s all about the nostalgia. 

You can find an 80’s tv and classic NES for a 1/3 of the cost the Lego set. I agree its about nostalgia but for me to be interested it needs to be a $70 or less set. Lego has gotten a little out of control with these big Ideas sets. 

Anybody else get one of these and showing the order 'in process' ?

The site was acting wonky last night and I ended up with 2 different orders.

1 before the promo (which on my side looked like it declined so I tried again)

1 after the Mario mushroom promo

Really hoping they don't cancel on me as my local lego store is out of stock.