71374 - Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)

Sorry to keep peeing in everyone’s Cheerios but doesn’t it bother anyone that the scale of the NES is way off compared to the tv?  Dare I say it looks kind of stupid.  The more I think about it the less I like it.  Someone paying $250 for this set is kind of a poseur. I mean it just feels like such a cash grab. Maybe it would have been cooler a few years ago but now?  

I can't wait to see the crank turn and how it moves the scene along and how Mario jumps and if it's timed right with the scenery, etc. Some really fun 1x1 tiles in and some printed tiles for the green piping.  I'm okay with the scale of the NES and the TV I think they are not true to life but they both look great.  That game cartridge is awesome!

5 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Sorry to keep peeing in everyone’s Cheerios but doesn’t it bother anyone that the scale of the NES is way off compared to the tv?  Dare I say it looks kind of stupid.  The more I think about it the less I like it.  Someone paying $250 for this set is kind of a poseur. I mean it just feels like such a cash grab. Maybe it would have been cooler a few years ago but now?  

I don't actually disagree significantly. It is unique and kind of cool, but it doesn't fit my product interests in Lego. I'm looking at this going, would I rather put $250 towards this or a Haunted House? And that decision is extremely easy for me (Haunted House).

3 minutes ago, spener90 said:

I don't actually disagree significantly. It is unique and kind of cool, but it doesn't fit my product interests in Lego. I'm looking at this going, would I rather put $250 towards this or a Haunted House? And that decision is extremely easy for me (Haunted House).

You nailed it. Easy decision. Haunted House or put that money towards a Potter or Disney Castle. I think the only money to be made on this set is just after release when supply is low and interest is high. Long term I'm just not feeling it. It seems to "gimmicky" for me, especially at that price range. It's certainly a cool set with some interesting features, but will someone pay $400-$500 for this three years after retirement? I don't see it. 

• Like 1

8bit and LEGO are certainly a good fit. But I’m thinking that a better use of the Nintendo IP would be 3D mosaics. Again scale this down to a $80 price point and I think you open up a lot more sales to your Target market. And one last thing:  A $200 LEGO set needs to be big.  This feels small and lacking for the piece count. 

2 hours ago, terrymc4677 said:

You nailed it. Easy decision. Haunted House or put that money towards a Potter or Disney Castle. I think the only money to be made on this set is just after release when supply is low and interest is high. Long term I'm just not feeling it. It seems to "gimmicky" for me, especially at that price range. It's certainly a cool set with some interesting features, but will someone pay $400-$500 for this three years after retirement? I don't see it. 

Certainly Disney Castle has tenfolds larger community that it would appeal to (kids, parents, teens.. Hardcore Disney fans of course).. you simply can not go wrong with Disney Castle - that one you will ALWAYS sell for the purchase price..  this does not even look "GREAT" on the boxes.. you more likely sell the Castle for 1000 USD than this one.. 

18 hours ago, exciter1 said:

I dont get the general idea behind this set: Essentially building a scaled-down version of something you already have at home (console + tv). I mean building with LEGO fundamentally is about recreating something you do NOT already have at home for real, like ISS, s apace rocket, a rollercoaster, expensive cars, a wrecked boat, a hospital and so forth. This NES set is the complete opposite of that idea, this might be the main reason why I dont get it that so many folks around here are going crazy about it.

Isnt this just like building a LEGO mini-model of the laptop standing on your desk? I dont get it - whats the point of this?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frank Brickowski said:

Isnt this just like building a LEGO mini-model of the laptop standing on your desk? I dont get it - whats the point of this?

Nostalgia sells. Millions of NES classics were sold. This unit is possibly the most iconic gaming system to date, and a part of people's lives aged 35-55. I have built one set in the last eight years, and his may be the second. I think it's awesome and will look great on my desk.

No, it's not your typical set, but that's also what makes it so great.

As far as the point to it, I guess there is none.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frank Brickowski said:

I dont get the general idea behind this set: Essentially building a scaled-down version of something you already have at home (console + tv). I mean building with LEGO fundamentally is about recreating something you do NOT already have at home for real, like ISS, s apace rocket, a rollercoaster, expensive cars, a wrecked boat, a hospital and so forth. This NES set is the complete opposite of that idea, this might be the main reason why I dont get it that so many folks around here are going crazy about it.

You must not have got an nes for Christmas in 86-88 it really was quite an experience and many of us gen x will have to have this for the nostalgia factor. You may not understand it but this is great and will take many people back to the 8 bit days of their childhoods spent playing Mario bro’s and duck hunt.

Edited by Datoyman
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Looks like a $200 price point.

Hopefully they will give us a Duck Hunt w/ gun add-on for a promo.

Looks like the press release and/or Brickset are wrong. LEGO Shop at Home says $229.99:

image.thumb.png.3a1653feb502e27c84b1027dea8721fc.png

Edited by Phil B
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Frank Brickowski said:

But in that same vein, this is pure genius opening the door to adding new Lego fans merging nostalgia with newer tech like the NFC that the DOTS parts will have on them. The Mario add-on is clever and shows that Lego is devoted to alternate play styles (Hidden Side), of which they have always strived to do with sets like Mindstorms, Boost and the like. 

Im just personally glad they didnd force the motors on you in this set. I could see this being around the same price point as the Disney Train (Disaster Train) if they went that way.