Hidden Side 2020

1 hour ago, coelian said:

I have a few of the sets haven't tried to sell any yet, castle, newbury high, fairground, shrimp shack, school bus. The rest I bought mainly for my own collection, the concept itself I think was a dud with terrible box art but the sets and figs are quite cool. I have a bunch of Nehmaar Reem minfigs from bricks and pieces for myself. I don't think it's going to be a good quick flip and it might be a while for latecomers to want to get some of the other sets. At the moment only the castle set seems to be appreciating well.

Most of the down votes on the Hidden Side sets were due to people having older devices that couldn't run the app.  That won't be a problem in a couple of years but I wonder if LEGO will keep the app available for that long. 

To that end, I think the sets that look good on their own or in city setups will sell the best.

10 minutes ago, coelian said:

I bought mine mostly 50% off or more, they have been on clearance once during summer and now again. Only the castle and newbury high I bought with a smaller discount at about 30% off.

The castle had pretty much zero discounts and very thin stock here in the US.

6 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

Most of the down votes on the Hidden Side sets were due to people having older devices that couldn't run the app.  That won't be a problem in a couple of years but I wonder if LEGO will keep the app available for that long. 

To that end, I think the sets that look good on their own or in city setups will sell the best.

The nexo knight app was removed last year so eventually the hidden sides app will go too I guess.

So did Hidden Sides bomb due to the app or the box art? Lego doesn't seem to have done well with AR, let's see how Vidiyo turns out.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, exciter1 said:

The castle had pretty much zero discounts and very thin stock here in the US.

I snagged slightly more than a dozen from a toy store in Germany before supplies ran out. It was actually on amazon.de for a couple of months at about 70ish euros but that was before the line was discontinued, after that it was really hard to find any. Last week I saw a couple in a local stores at full RRP 129CHF, if they clearance it I will pick them up. 

These will do fine once they reach EOL. The sub was OSS yesterday for a time on Amazon and the 3p selling price was double RRP. These won’t skyrocket in value, but if you bought at discount then you should be able to move them for a nice profit within the next year or two. I wouldn’t hold past that with the app depreciating.

The castle never made a "debut" stateside...News of Hidden Side as a line retiring hit before the Castle even made it to LEGO Shop at Home here.

I believe they may not even have made it onto retailer shelves...only saw it on  LEGO/LEGO Shop at Home, Amazon, and Iwoot/Zavvi (at about 20% over RRP)

It was pretty obvious that the Castle was going to be a really..really short run...and I thought I would have time to pick them up on Amazon at RRP...NOPE (a whale got wind and scooped them all up overnight...or it felt that way).  I have a few tucked away...will likely start selling at $300 and $400.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coelian said:

The nexo knight app was removed last year so eventually the hidden sides app will go too I guess.

So did Hidden Sides bomb due to the app or the box art? Lego doesn't seem to have done well with AR, let's see how Vidiyo turns out.

For the box art I think LEGO broke the cardinal rule: "less is more."

Try your own test.  Place a Hidden Side LEGO set next to a like-sized "normal" LEGO set and what do you see?  Within seconds the normal set clearly shows what you're getting.  The Hidden Side, unless you know what the set is, you'll have to stare at it.  And even then, unless you're familiar with the set, you'll need to turn to its back to see what it actually looks like and the features with the set. 

The LEGO store I visited when the series first came out was placing the sets backwards on the shelf because the back had the better picture.

Personally, I like a lot of these sets.  However, you almost need a review video to support selling them so people can see all the features.  

They could make for a really cool Halloween City display.

• 3 months later...
15 minutes ago, Captain_Obvious said:

Where are we at with this theme.. Haven't seen anything retired yet. Are you guys starting to notice an uptick in sales, and when do you see the value of all the sets rising?

I’m letting the other BP’s store them until they crack.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Captain_Obvious said:

Where are we at with this theme.. Haven't seen anything retired yet. Are you guys starting to notice an uptick in sales, and when do you see the value of all the sets rising?

If you can’t wait for the next global pandemic just make a YouTube video saying how these are better than gold. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 3/9/2021 at 9:55 AM, exracer327 said:

They could make for a really cool Halloween City display.

I think September-October the sales will increase. I assume the castle and train will do well. Others have faith in the high school but I wasn't able to acquire any on sale. I dont see the smaller sets doing as well.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
15 minutes ago, starwarsxpress said:

this is why I dont buy those themes.  the apps seem to always be obsoleted.  real lego. no app.  the best product.

Agree.  Although I did buy them anyways just because they still have visual appeal for someone looking to expand their halloween village or needs a rough part of town for their modular display.

At some point, they’ll have to address the impact to their power functions replacement that is Bluetooth driven. They have the discrete remote control, for basic control, but I believe so much is sound enhanced by the app. One reason why I’m reluctant to go deep on the Grand Piano.  I think this is also one of the reasons the previous power function components are so valuable after retirement. 

25 minutes ago, starwarsxpress said:

this is why I dont buy those themes.  the apps seem to always be obsoleted.  real lego. no app.  the best product.

I was just talking about this with my older boys who have gone through several of these app incorporated themes.  I think we've been through Fusion, Ultra Agents, Nexo Knights, and now Hidden Side.  Most of these are still good sets, maybe not for resale, but each of these themes did have a few gems.  I've always assumed it was another marketing avenue for the theme, you buy one set fire up the app and see the other sets, characters, etc. to make the kids aware of them and hassle their parents for them, so when the theme is done there really isn't a reason to continue the app.