Hidden Side 2020

My son and I have a few and he loves the games on the app. It was pretty ambitious for Lego as they try to combat children's change in play habits. The bus is my sons favorite and it looks good sitting on a shelf. I think the castle and train are going to do well. I missed the boat on Monster Fighters and I dont want to do that again. I dont know if the school will do as well. It may be too monstery.

23 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

If the newer sets are on their way out, they will do ok.  I would consider them similar to the last round of Ultra Agents sets, they had a short life and did ok.  They will probably be slow movers though.

That is my only concern - if they move too slow, they may be forgotten.  Then, years from now, they will start showing up on "short-lived" LEGO theme lists and people will become interested.

Personally, I think the bus, train, school, and castle are some of the best looking sets and can be used with or without the hidden side.

1 minute ago, exracer327 said:

That is my only concern - if they move too slow, they may be forgotten.  Then, years from now, they will start showing up on "short-lived" LEGO theme lists and people will become interested.

Personally, I think the bus, train, school, and castle are some of the best looking sets and can be used with or without the hidden side.

It's kind of shame that some of these sets get overlooked as they are good sets and offer more bang for the buck than the regurgitated Star Wars sets that get pumped out every year.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

I hope they get yearly attention at least with the Halloween theme involved. I'm pretty supplied on the castle, train and ghost labs. Some of the others like shrimp boat, shrimp shack, light house are also pretty good.  I was surely surprised to see the theme discontinued so abruptly.

4 hours ago, joesnow2005 said:

Zavvi is accepting pre-orders of LEGO Hidden Side: Mystery Castle (70437)

Release Date: 11 December 2020

So what's going on here? Isn't 70437 retiring?

$119 when it's been $99 on Amazon. As of a few weeks ago, Amazon had over 1000 of these. They are gone now. Someone snatched them all up. Wish it would have been me!

39 minutes ago, MotorCityMuscle said:

It’s been sold out for quite some time. 

2 weeks.  They even cancelled some of my orders with it in there.  Not over-ordering at all, simply marked out of stock days after the orders went through immediately on the first night of promo's or double points, whatever hit the weekend before thanksgiving.  

15 hours ago, joesnow2005 said:

Zavvi is accepting pre-orders of LEGO Hidden Side: Mystery Castle (70437)

Release Date: 11 December 2020

So what's going on here? Isn't 70437 retiring?

From what I understand, the entire Hidden Side Theme is retiring. No new sets are to be made.

3 hours ago, Thanos75 said:

Yup. Thats why the stores arent getting any to stock. What you see is it. I did hear rumblings that the whole theme is getting reworked and may continue.

Maybe somebody at TLG finally realised that the truly abysmal packaging was sinking the entire theme. Imagine sitting in a meeting where somebody suggested that the boxes should have cartoons on them, rather than pictures of the set. Instead of laughing that person out of the room, everybody else must have said 'yes, good idea!'.

Baffling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I picked up a HS Castle at my local store on the Saturday of VIP weekend for personal build but didn't notice until checkout that the store had already sold out of the Dickens promo. I kicked myself at first for not waiting to get a better deal, even thought about returning it, until I saw the stock evaporate everywhere not long after. Now I'm grateful that I didn't notice that they were out of the promo! That Castle sure disappeared fast. I expect that those of you who bought at retail will be amply rewarded...

@cladner I hope these work out for you. I couldn't pull the trigger on them. I told myself if i could snag a large quantity of the Buses and Mystery Mansion at 40% off I'd take them.

The shrimp shack was on walmart for a while. It made me laugh because WHO DOESN'T LIKE A SHRIMP SHACK, but than again what is hidden side? App based Lego experience... More like out of touch 50-60 year old CEO decisions.

My partner and I were discussing my poor choice in buying Harley Lego sets. I used to work closely on some projects for them and told her that currently Harley is losing about 6% of its business YOY. They discussed with us their plans for recovering/engaging with younger adults. She goes, "Let me guess, create some community/interactive App, that always goes well.. classic boomers". The more I thought about all of the App related failures in recent years, the more strongly I felt about my decision. I think the line discontinuing probably hurts it more than anything since their is nothing driving more app support. Hope the scarcity helps out the prices.