Hidden Side 2020

14 minutes ago, landphieran said:

@cladner I hope these work out for you. I couldn't pull the trigger on them. I told myself if i could snag a large quantity of the Buses and Mystery Mansion at 40% off I'd take them.

The shrimp shack was on walmart for a while. It made me laugh because WHO DOESN'T LIKE A SHRIMP SHACK, but than again what is hidden side? App based Lego experience... More like out of touch 50-60 year old CEO decisions.

My partner and I were discussing my poor choice in buying Harley Lego sets. I used to work closely on some projects for them and told her that currently Harley is losing about 6% of its business YOY. They discussed with us their plans for recovering/engaging with younger adults. She goes, "Let me guess, create some community/interactive App, that always goes well.. classic boomers". The more I thought about all of the App related failures in recent years, the more strongly I felt about my decision. I think the line discontinuing probably hurts it more than anything since their is nothing driving more app support. Hope the scarcity helps out the prices.

I think these sets can stand on their own without the app.  The sets are a cross between Scooby Doo and Monster Fighters, and their short life reminds me of the second wave of Ultra Agents, which also had an app.  The app wasn't as prominent to the line, but they did develop special bricks for it.  I do wonder if Lego thinks the app development it worth it or if like you point out, it's just the "boomer mentality".

My argument toward growth potential for these sets is a lack of a Halloween series as others have mentioned. As this year once again solidified that winter sets are real winners. I believe the Monster Fighter line did so well in the secondary because it fills the niche that Lego has yet to fill. I know more adults that like Halloween then do Christmas, so the market is there. Everyone loves The Haunted Mansion. I stand by the Mystery Castle as a winner in the coming years.

Edited by Jbad87
Spelling is hard

1 hour ago, legorunner said:

I picked up a HS Castle at my local store on the Saturday of VIP weekend for personal build but didn't notice until checkout that the store had already sold out of the Dickens promo. I kicked myself at first for not waiting to get a better deal, even thought about returning it, until I saw the stock evaporate everywhere not long after. Now I'm grateful that I didn't notice that they were out of the promo! That Castle sure disappeared fast. I expect that those of you who bought at retail will be amply rewarded...

Did the castle ever go on sale?  I don't recall seeing one posted for it.  I was looking to pick some up in January  but all the local LEGO stores around me are out.  So bummed I didn't get more castles.

14 minutes ago, Jbad87 said:

I stand by the Mystery Castle as a winner in the coming years.

I think the High School will do well also.  And depending on people's buy-in, several of these should do well.

3 hours ago, landphieran said:

@cladner I hope these work out for you. I couldn't pull the trigger on them. I told myself if i could snag a large quantity of the Buses and Mystery Mansion at 40% off I'd take them.

The shrimp shack was on walmart for a while. It made me laugh because WHO DOESN'T LIKE A SHRIMP SHACK, but than again what is hidden side? App based Lego experience... More like out of touch 50-60 year old CEO decisions.

My partner and I were discussing my poor choice in buying Harley Lego sets. I used to work closely on some projects for them and told her that currently Harley is losing about 6% of its business YOY. They discussed with us their plans for recovering/engaging with younger adults. She goes, "Let me guess, create some community/interactive App, that always goes well.. classic boomers". The more I thought about all of the App related failures in recent years, the more strongly I felt about my decision. I think the line discontinuing probably hurts it more than anything since their is nothing driving more app support. Hope the scarcity helps out the prices.

i didn't pull trigger - just pointing out they are retiring by all signs.  the probable eventual loss of app function is definitely something to consider if planning to hold for medium-long term.  i bought some of these sets at 50-75% off during summer walmart clearance and a couple of the short lived mystery castles at msrp with vip promos but would not put much money to work here when you can print money with retiring star wars, minecraft, and jurassic.  

i never saw a kid in a lego aisle looking at one of these or asking to buy hidden side set and clearance was fairly abundant so i think its going to be end of the line for this theme whatever the rumors are.

the other shortlived theme - overwatch - will probably fair much better.

Edited by cladner

6 hours ago, Jbad87 said:

The box art is so bad on these sets I dont think many of us, with many decades of Lego experience, could even decipher what was in the box.

My local LEGO store was purposely placing the boxes backwards so people had a better idea of what the set was about. 

I totally agree with you, the box art was WAY too busy and didn't communicate anything to the average buyer.  The box art is definitely unique and identifiable as Hidden Side but if you don't have a clue what hidden side is, that box art doesn't give you any incentive to buy it.

2 hours ago, exracer327 said:

My local LEGO store was purposely placing the boxes backwards so people had a better idea of what the set was about. 

I totally agree with you, the box art was WAY too busy and didn't communicate anything to the average buyer.  The box art is definitely unique and identifiable as Hidden Side but if you don't have a clue what hidden side is, that box art doesn't give you any incentive to buy it.

I never cared much for Hidden Side until my kid got one as a gift. There are really fun and unique sets, but the boxes don't do anything to show that. I've actually never used the app so can't comment on the function. The are some (ex. the light house and bus) that can add a lot of character to a LEGO city.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Phil B said:

The only Hidden Side set I bought was the Shrimp Boat, because (with a little modification) it fits perfectly with Old Fishing Store (and it has fishermen!).

I think the lighthouse and shrimp shack could potentially tie in as well. Otherwise I agree. Took a chance on the mansion. Hopefully that one pans out. 

13 hours ago, Jbad87 said:

My argument toward growth potential for these sets is a lack of a Halloween series as others have mentioned. As this year once again solidified that winter sets are real winners. I believe the Monster Fighter line did so well in the secondary because it fills the niche that Lego has yet to fill. I know more adults that like Halloween then do Christmas, so the market is there. Everyone loves The Haunted Mansion. I stand by the Mystery Castle as a winner in the coming years.

I'm still not sold on this theme or the Mystery castle. Yes, Halloween sets do well but the minifigures and the elements carry the set. Some may buy the castle and add there own figures and elements, but how much are they willing to pay?  Monster Fighters has werewolves, vampires, zombies, etc. Scooby Doo did well because it's "Scooby Doo".  I don't see any of these sets standing alone as actual "Halloween " sets in my opinion.  The characters will hold back their full potential.  Train, castle, and High School will do "okay" and the rest will be parted out or added to a Halloween display.  I have several trains, a few high schools, lighthouses, and graveyards.  Don't see enough upside here to go deep on any of these.

1 hour ago, Captain_Obvious said:

I'm all-in. I have the whole collection even the foil packs from Europe. About 25% avg off RRP.

People thought I was nuts when I collected the whole LEGO Batman Movie collection. About 40% avg off RRP. Look where it's at now.

Think I missed most of the opportunity to get them cheap. Hoping for a few to be around after the holidays on clearance. 

I picked up some castles and Newbury high before they disappeared. Some buses, shrimp shack and boats. The smaller sets I bought for my own collection as some of them are pretty cool. I like building them whereas my son likes the game which I find quite boring. 

During the summer sales here, these sets were left on the shelf for almost the whole sales season and made me think about accumulating the smaller sets. If the remainder of the wave 2 are up during the winter sales I will likely pick up more of the big sets like the castle if available. 

15 hours ago, MotorCityMuscle said:

any luck with the hidden side sets?

No

long holds?

Very

duds?

Many

outside of the mansion going up a few bucks, have any of them taken off?

The castle is a rocket moving faster than my GME stock. 

^^ Answers based on aftermarket price vs RRP. If you purchased these at discount, which you really had no excuse not to, these have done fairly well. Most of these sets will see resistance when approaching double RRP, as so many were many available at discount.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, brickvoyeur said:

No

Very

Many

The castle is a rocket moving faster than my GME stock. 

^^ Answers based on aftermarket price vs RRP. If you purchased these at discount, which you really had no excuse not to, these have done fairly well. Most of these sets will see resistance when approaching double RRP, as so many were many available at discount.

Appreciate a response to this. The castle is one of the few I have any excitement for. It’s a great looking set that could blend well with some of the other haunted houses we’ve had over the past several years. unfortunately I was only able to grab a few and none on discount. 

I have a small hope for some of the vehicles like the bus and fire truck. They both seem like a good base to actual builds. The haunted fairground could pair well with other amusement sets. You might be able to convince the Old Fishing Store owner that they need a shrimp boat and lighthouse. Haha! May have to get creative moving forward. 

I have a few of the sets haven't tried to sell any yet, castle, newbury high, fairground, shrimp shack, school bus. The rest I bought mainly for my own collection, the concept itself I think was a dud with terrible box art but the sets and figs are quite cool. I have a bunch of Nehmaar Reem minfigs from bricks and pieces for myself. I don't think it's going to be a good quick flip and it might be a while for latecomers to want to get some of the other sets. At the moment only the castle set seems to be appreciating well.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Emvisawthatswho said:

I can’t bite at 40% on most of these. Too long of a hold IMO. Reminds me of Lego Movie 1 sets.

I bought mine mostly 50% off or more, they have been on clearance once during summer and now again. Only the castle and newbury high I bought with a smaller discount at about 30% off.

• Like 1