Ideas #027: 21319 - Friends Central Perk

19 minutes ago, House Schubert said:

I been trying to figure it out, really I have, so call me dumb, but...what does the QF. Stand for, and if it’s quick flip, then explain, cause I don’t get it. 

A quick flip is selling something right after you acquire it, usually due to low supply and high demand.  This can happen at the holidays when things go out of stock.  It used to happen more often at releases, but Lego has been doing better about providing adequate supply or demand has been lower.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, House Schubert said:

I been trying to figure it out, really I have, so call me dumb, but...what does the QF. Stand for, and if it’s quick flip, then explain, cause I don’t get it. 

If you're new to this racket then it's not surprising that you don't know what it means because you can't really do it anymore. Oh the good old days.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Another thing this set has going for it. Zero stickers.

If your set had zero stickers, I would call customer service. From the Brickset review: “Opening the box reveals seven bags that are numbered between one and six. Moreover, five stickers are included which is slightly unusual for LEGO Ideas sets, although they are easy to apply and some new printed pieces are provided.”
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Phil B said:

If your set had zero stickers, I would call customer service. From the Brickset review: “Opening the box reveals seven bags that are numbered between one and six. Moreover, five stickers are included which is slightly unusual for LEGO Ideas sets, although they are easy to apply and some new printed pieces are provided.”

Well this review (2:49) says the opposite. Weird.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
34 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

Looks like Lego is now doing a line of Ideas keychains with Friends Characters. https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/chandler-keyring-854118

Is there something like a market for this that I'm just not seeing, or is this just Lego trying to monetize the Friends show to the max?

Word on the street is more sets to come with the next one being Monica’s apartment. 

Edited by Pseudoty
  • Like 1

Word on the street is more sets to come with the next one being Monica’s apartment. 

It’s still really popular. My 13 year old wanted the set for Christmas. My wife wants these keychains. A friend in her 40s, who wasn’t into LEGO at all, bought this set because she’s a huge Friends fan. Turns out it was a gateway drug and she’s buying all sorts of LEGO sets now.
  • Like 2

It’s still really popular. My 13 year old wanted the set for Christmas. My wife wants these keychains. A friend in her 40s, who wasn’t into LEGO at all, bought this set because she’s a huge Friends fan. Turns out it was a gateway drug and she’s buying all sorts of LEGO sets now.

I was thinking more of the keychain thing being a gimmick. I agree that Friends remains popular, but I really don’t get it. It blows my mind to see college kids wearing Friends shirts and watching it on laptops during breaks. The Office I get, but Friends and Seinfeld?

One thing to keep in mind is LEGO now has a pattern of keeping popular Ideas sets alive past retirement and if the show has this much staying power I am doubtful that we’ll see a lasting Central Perk retirement.
  • Like 1

I was thinking more of the keychain thing being a gimmick. I agree that Friends remains popular, but I really don’t get it. It blows my mind to see college kids wearing Friends shirts and watching it on laptops during breaks. The Office I get, but Friends and Seinfeld?

One thing to keep in mind is LEGO now has a pattern of keeping popular Ideas sets alive past retirement and if the show has this much staying power I am doubtful that we’ll see a lasting Central Perk retirement.

I was listening to a podcast the other day, where they speculating that these streaming services running adverts for their new pickups (e.g. Friends), is turning on the show to a whole new generation.

It does seem like LEGO has been stepping up their keychain game lately. And we’ve become such a throw away culture where micro transactions have become a norm, that something with a low price point hits that impulse buy button.
  • Like 1