Ideas #027: 21319 - Friends Central Perk

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, oneknightr said:

Bought a couple from Amazon yesterday for $51.99 (13%) in anticipation of the upcoming Friends The Apartments set. Got them today with 14R1 seals. 

What is/are "14R1 seals"?

With the "permasale" been on for months suggests this set has been over produced and over horded (me included) - good parts set, part out still close to 3x!

2 hours ago, redghostx said:

Manufacture date of April 2021 (wk/yr)

Yay LEGO!

What do folks think?

so Monica's Apartment set causes retirement of Central Perk or prolongs it on shelves?

I am thinking latter because that's more of TLG MO, lately, IMO.  Now that doesn't mean Central Perk will not be scarce...most of its first year or so the set was super scarce fetching 1.5x to 2x...so by the holidays not getting it at $50 now will seem like a huge missed opportunity for QFLL.

4 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

What do folks think?

so Monica's Apartment set causes retirement of Central Perk or prolongs it on shelves?

I am thinking latter because that's more of TLG MO, lately, IMO.  Now that doesn't mean Central Perk will not be scarce...most of its first year or so the set was super scarce fetching 1.5x to 2x...so by the holidays not getting it at $50 now will seem like a huge missed opportunity for QFLL.

So. The fact that Lego still has the licences makes me think it’s staying. Why would you retire a huge selling set with the licence still to churn them out. That and some of the blogs reported it is staying. 

ps it’s everywhere in the uk. I mean everywhere.

4 minutes ago, joneyyy1981 said:

So. The fact that Lego still has the licences makes me think it’s staying. Why would you retire a huge selling set with the licence still to churn them out. That and some of the blogs reported it is staying. 

ps it’s everywhere in the uk. I mean everywhere.

Ok, I'll be the first to suggest it.... rerelease so that it is no longer an Ideas set.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, maestro said:

Brilliant show, great cast chemistry. Never watched Seinfeld and can't stand The Office etc.

Anyway is Central Perk worth $64 current price as investment? Though I'd like to build this for fun.

what do you have against investing in sets that are retiring?

8 minutes ago, maestro said:

Absolutely nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

length of production is a factor to be considered when investing.  if friends perk retires mid year 2022, it will be a good investment.  if they continue producing the set for another 3 years, then there will be a longer time for price to appreciate and won't be as good an investment.

given the large number of  winning sets that are retiring in the next month or 2, i can't even look at it now.  too busy trying to get more redstone battles and indom rex vs ankylosaurus

Wise words. Yes should wait until close to retirement so I can judge a set's production run. 

You reckon Indom Rex is a winner? Most of the time I only buy sets that I'd build myself should they not sell. Though I think I'm changing a little since I bought a Harry Potter Purple Bus 🙂

4 hours ago, cladner said:

length of production is a factor to be considered when investing.  if friends perk retires mid year 2022, it will be a good investment.  if they continue producing the set for another 3 years, then there will be a longer time for price to appreciate and won't be as good an investment.

given the large number of  winning sets that are retiring in the next month or 2, i can't even look at it now.  too busy trying to get more redstone battles and indom rex vs ankylosaurus

the thing about minecraft sets...the game and the LEGO sets are getting A LOT better...both small, medium and large sets.  LEGO bringing back the charged creeper is a HUGE red flag...the days of retired MC sets meteoric appreciation is likely long past.  Jurassic sets are becoming the new City sets..same dinos, rinse repeat. What I like are the non-traditional Dinos like the MEch or venomsaurus

4 hours ago, cladner said:

As more iconic shows get released as sets...10 years form now Big Bang and Central Perk may be akin to the very early modulars.

PArisian Restaurant and T-1 were record breakers in terms of shelf life and look at them now.  Popular sets are ...you know...popular and their popularity is sustainable.

• Like 1

I have several Central Perks. My sister built one and she loves it - I have to admit it looks cool with lights.

I was talking to a guy in the Lego store yesterday and he told me Seinfeld had sold poorly. I'm a Brit though and although I love the show it has never taken off here. Squid Game has trumped it's Netflix release too.

Central Perks are worth stacking imho but make sure you buy at a good price. Amazon.co.uk change the price almost daily and I got my credit card out when they hit the record low of £42.99 over the Summer (I think RRP is £69.99). Yes it's worth waiting until they're close to retirement but on the other hand this is a seriously good price given that the minifigs alone are worth around £30.

I'm trying to put all my TV sets into one massive apartment building and I really like the Big Bang set - the minifigs are great.

One that's under the radar is the Bro Thor Apartment - it's a nice mini display set.

• 11 months later...
10 minutes ago, landphieran said:

I'm curious how people think this set will do. Currently 20K+ reviews. Been around for 3.25 years. 107 sellers.

My current feelings: It's too much of a gamble. It could be in stock at Amazon until middle of next year. If its stocked through Christmas we'll see this hold at high 70s low 80s through next year.

It just had a fresh production run, 34R2, so not like they were letting it dry up. 

• 2 months later...

I am a small potatoes guy in Canada. I tend to sell mainly to offset the cost of sets I build. I probably sell 5k or so a year in sets and make around 1k. This is one set I have gone deep (for me) on. I have 30 and have an average but in of about $65 CAD ($90 CAD was retail.) I plan to hold for at least a year or two but believe this will do well - it is such an iconic show that has found a new generation of fans. I think this set is cooler than the apartments which are about 2.5x retail price. In 5 years when both are long retired I think many fans of the show will pick this set over it. It looks to be drying up in Canada. “Retiring Soon” and “Sold Out” on the Lego website and now selling at retail price on Amazon for the first time in over a year after almost permanent 15-20 percent discounts) I appreciate there are lots of these in people’s closets but believe the demand will be there ! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...