10262 - James Bond Aston Martin DB5

Val-E

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Ed Mack said:

One thing is certain, there will be no lines like this in the United States for this set. 

I've seen queues every day when I pass the Leicester Square store and just can't understand why. I queued up for 2 hours to get in when they opened and don't intend ever going back. The good bit was buying a couple of numbered Lester minifigs for a few hundred quid as people were leaving (they had no idea of potential worth) and then making over a grand on eBay the week after!

I think the first-time-use of the 007 & Aston Martin license is intriguing.  There are trade-offs when building in functionality like the license plate and ejection seat.  I think elegance ended up being one of those trade-offs... When I first heard of this set I instantly thought of the 007 licensing and that if Lego is going to pay fees they might expand into a series of 007-licensed sets with minifigures, etc.  I don't anticipate that happening because, like Voltron, 007 is before the time of current-day kids.  It would be hard to relate to and I can't imagine AFOLs alone generating sufficient demand to warrant the investment.  So... if this set ends up being the "only" 007-licensed set, it definitely has potential.  Right now, the full release hasn't even happened yet, and most of us that want one will likely be able to get one across the next year.  It might be hard to fully appreciate this set when we're on the front end of the life cycle.  I will buy this and keep at least one in the collection.  I'll have to wait and see how my willingness to further invest changes down the road.

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

I've seen queues every day when I pass the Leicester Square store and just can't understand why. I queued up for 2 hours to get in when they opened and don't intend ever going back. The good bit was buying a couple of numbered Lester minifigs for a few hundred quid as people were leaving (they had no idea of potential worth) and then making over a grand on eBay the week after!

In order to get lines like that (or longer) in the United States, all you have to do is give away something for FREE or highly discounted and the freeloaders will show up.  The BUILD-A-BEAR company just ran a promotion where kids "paid their age."  Basically, a five year old kid would pay $5 for a $30-$40 stuffed animal.  The cheapskates in the US lined up by the hundreds, if not thousands to get a discounted bear.  The company ran out well before many people in line got one.   They wasted a whole day to save a few bucks.  Just silly.  

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

In order to get lines like that (or longer) in the United States, all you have to do is give away something for FREE or highly discounted and the freeloaders will show up.  The BUILD-A-BEAR company just ran a promotion where kids "paid their age."  Basically, a five year old kid would pay $5 for a $30-$40 stuffed animal.  The cheapskates in the US lined up by the hundreds, if not thousands to get a discounted bear.  The company ran out well before many people in line got one.   They wasted a whole day to save a few bucks.  Just silly.  

In the UK, small queues (lines in ´merica) just lead to bigger queues as people see one form and joint for fear of missing out on whatever is at the end of the line.

• Like 1

I got to “play” with it today at Lego store, my receipt shows 1:38pm and they had it built by that time. No I didn’t buy it, I needed some xtra polybags. I asked about it and yup, employee built it this morning.

sorry if repeating but here’s a summary of all the play functions:

opening trunk

rear (window) shield

interior center console panel flipping (like license plates)

inside passenger side door panel with hiden phone.

front & back license plates flip

opening roof for ejector seat

opening hood

front lights (not headlamps though) flip into guns or some missle shooting thingies.

by now pics may be on sah too showing it all. Pls Add something if I missed it.

and with a very small print (if I knew how to change that): I like it, I don’t care that it doesn’t look like db5, I like it....

Wonder if it’s the old technic figure size.....

16 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

OMG, they've gone and done it ;-(

I really wanted the leaked picture to be wrong. Then again, the Delorean was 10% as ugly as this and did well. I suppose something has to make the other abortions released this year look good

Not for me, more for the QFLLs. This is one disgusting set that I just CANNOT be stuck with!

These will either all remain on the shelf or have just sold out. If they have sold out, I fear for the future of the human race as a species.

You just read my mind.. its atrocity.. ugh!

Looking at the box art.. .. isnt this the 1st set EVER with an actual depiction of a firing gun / murder weapon ever? I take it like some musquettes from Wild West and Indians were taken differently as some kind of a "historic charm". 

Edited by crayxlp

more to it.. when I think about it.. I still do not "get LEGO".. why Bond? Who is BOND? Certainly not a a philosopher or some renowned scientist .. his JOB is to KILL.. (not to mention double OO).. so what is LEGO telling us? That Bond - as the absolute and prime symbol of a top-notch government ASSASIN (nothing else how to describe it) is worth to have its own set.. ? .. Could we get some UCS NAVY aircraft carrier next year, please... !!! 

Edited by crayxlp