10262 - James Bond Aston Martin DB5

Val-E

As usual, LEGO manages to cram as many play features as possible which for this ride above anything else was expected. Aesthetically could potentially be better yet still only so much is possible through the blocky nature of the LEGO brick. In any case this looks like a fun build to put together and play with.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, BrickStanley74 said:

Besides the lazy design, for $150 they should have at least included Goldfinger, Oddjob and Bond minifigures!

Then they would have had to make it Speed Champions scale.

For me, this set will probably appeal to younger kids for the features but it misses the mark on price and because the build will be too hard for them. They will probably not be into James Bond as much as older generations who grew up on the Roger Moore saga before Bond went full Dark Knight moody introspective.

The AFOL is more demanding regarding design and accuracy so it misses the mark there too. I think many of us would have paid the price no problem if it looked more like the DB5 than a communist runabout. The IDEAS E Type springs to mind as a good example of how to represent curved cars.

14 hours ago, lebrick said:

No way this set was from the blinking dude. He went from designing F40 and Beetles to this? This is outrageous. That's it. I am only getting 37 now. That will show Lego...

Btw, now that I see more images and videos of it, it ain't that bad. Certainly, It's not F40 or Beetles but it's ok. I think the problem was the selection, not so much the design just like Technic Chiron.

Yup, it is him (Mike) who designed it.

Blink three times if your family was threatened with torture should you refuse to design this set.

Did a bit of product testing, told my son he was getting this for his birthday as he has just about every other Lego car ever built.

I have never seen him look so upset trying to feign gratitude and at the same time trying not to explode, and of course he did blurting out NO WAY DAD.

So get ready for early retirement it stinks.

12 hours ago, Cheese said:

British love to queue. Can’t understand it myself.

in my 7 months of studying abroad I found myself intrigued by this new idea and actually took part a few times.  Queueing can be quite fun with the right crowd for the right end goal.  The two we joined ended up getting a free pint and tshirt for one and tickets to a football match to the other.  Met some quality people too! 

We all must admit, the demographic of people  once you mention anything 'free' will change drastically from people say waiting to purchase a $200 lego set $500 game console or $800 iphone.  Those are waaaaaay different crowds.  

10 hours ago, Shewie said:

this car looks more like original classic russian Wolga than the DB5 to be honest.
volga-v-12-coupe-photo-88646-s-original.

Thats a sexy beast!

10 hours ago, crayxlp said:

more to it.. when I think about it.. I still do not "get LEGO".. why Bond? Who is BOND? Certainly not a a philosopher or some renowned scientist .. his JOB is to KILL.. (not to mention double OO).. so what is LEGO telling us? That Bond - as the absolute and prime symbol of a top-notch government ASSASIN (nothing else how to describe it) is worth to have its own set.. ? .. Could we get some UCS NAVY aircraft carrier next year, please... !!! 

Back on topic not that the queueing theory isnt tantilizing conversation.

Its clear Lego understands their target market.  British AFOLS seem to be more likely to spend on Lego than any other nation so why not target that audience with their interests and nostalgia? Looking at you LBridge, Lbus, Mcooper, BBen, etc. all AFOL targeted. Not to mention 007 is a global brand and has a small market in most countries these days which equals  more $. (not what it used to be)

It just didnt hit the mark with visual apeal and play function.  Its too bad so much style was sacrificed for a handful of playfeatures.  Otherwise it would have been a day 1 purchase for all the car collectors too. 

The same could be said with Voltron and the US AFOL market, although the cartoon was also a giant hit in Asia so there is the potential for a larger initial sales/market. Europe/UK seem to have missed the Voltron train.

Edited by BricksBrotha
typo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CosmicSpeed said:

Star Wars Blasters dont count?

Sent from my VS995 using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

not really, I noticed somewhere that LEGO takes those as some kind of "usual equipment" that goes by with the character.. although I can see your point given e.g. the Starmtroopers with guns. I think that SW characters are still somewhat "unreal", scifi, not based on reality.. while Bond is also a fiction, it could absolutely fit in the daily reality.

I don’t know what to tell you - I’ve got the classic Corgi of this car, it’s one of my favourite childhood toys, and I’m going to be all over this set.

End of the day it’s a Lego remix of a very curved car, and unless you’re going 1:1 with the scale the contours are going to be boxy.

Soon as I saw it I was working out where I’m going to keep the finished model.

This one’s filed under “one for me, none for investment”. Although it wouldn’t surprise me to see it go through the ceiling at some point in the distant future.

I find Jang's review a bit odd.  He gushes over the model but gets hung up on the price.  At the end he back peddles by saying all the things he loved (ejector seat) should not have been included to keep the costs down.  When in reality I think the extras like the ejector seat make the set more interesting and desirable.  At .12 a part it's not out of line with other licensed sets (especially Disney movie licenses).  You also need to consider that Lego probably paid two separate licenses--- one for Bond and the other for Aston Martin.  Maybe it just needs a UCS plaque to give it more inherent value.

Probably my biggest gripe about the design are the headlights.  The "nipple" gives the whole car a buggy eyed look.  Maybe the 2x2 Inverted Round Disc Slide would have been a better choice.  The rest of it is actually pretty good.

Edited by Mathew

On 7/18/2018 at 7:20 PM, BrickStanley74 said:

Besides the lazy design, for $150 they should have at least included Goldfinger, Oddjob and Bond minifigures!

Nothing lazy about the design.  Also including minifigs in a model of this scale would make little sense.  

1 hour ago, Mathew said:

I find Jang's review a bit odd.  He gushes over the model but gets hung up on the price.

That was a bit unusual although I do understand how for the most part the model may simply be built then placed on display rendering the play features somewhat meaningless since no one would be, well, playing with them therefore paying for extra details. However if this model did not have all those tricks under the hood then the car would have just been an Aston Martin DB5, not James Bond's at all. Honestly I am impressed with everything they did manage to cram into the vehicle ....even the red phone in the door. Haha.

• Like 1

Actually having all the extras would entice one to "play" with it more often than just leaving it on a shelf to gather dust.  I don't know.... I see Lego collections where there are so many sets buried under shelving and I question the hobby.  Lego is meant to be played with.  Lego designers attempt to add functionality and playability then the online community attacks them for it.  If you want an accurate scale model of a real life object then Lego is not it.  There are much better options that may even be more affordable.

Edited by Mathew
  • Like 4