The LEGO Movie 2 - 2019

Doofy McGee

It will be hard to ever top the original Lego Movie. 

Similar to how some music artists debut their first-ever album, full of music reflecting years of emotion and experience, and it becomes very successful!  That success changes things the next go around... the record companies begin to push for content to be produced on an aggressive schedule (creativity can be challenging to "schedule"), and the sophomore album falls far short of the first album.  On the other side of the coin, you have some artists that - once popular - use that platform to push a message or an agenda and that's a big turn-off.

The LEGO Batman Movie was "okay" but I was definitely disappointed when I thought back and compared it to the first movie.  The focus on Batman also brought in a lot of crude humor, which was, fine but unnecessary.  Next came The LEGO Ninjago Movie which I was excited to see.  I took my wife and 4-year-old to it and we all thought it was just awful; very bad.  Between the A.D.D. flashy cut scenes, the whiny voices, the awkward interactions between Lloyd and Lord Garmadon... thumbs down.  I'll probably get TLM2 up on Blu-Ray when it's out but this will definitely not call for opening night attendance.

50 minutes ago, Scatterbug said:

Love the first film but the trailers for this are leaving me cold. And the sets are, to quote, 'diabolical'. I'd happily take a renewed Sea Cow!

What do you not like about it?  I also didn't get the best feeling from it but I'm not hearing much feedback period, good or bad.

I didn't particularly care for the madmax/armageddon theme.  Preview articles online claim it's due to the destruction caused by Taco Tuesday... Regardless, I'm already paranoid enough that this world will end up that way so I wasn't excited to see that in the Lego movie.  Lego's help me remember the good times as a kind.  This doesn't do that for me.

An article I read mentioned the first movie took on perfectionism and tried to show what happens when adults forget the magic of play time and toys.  There was apparent criticism of WyldStyle being the seemingly more capable and competent character yet she played a supporting role... "the hapless male was the leader?"...

The second movie is most definitely set to take on gender issues.  Emmet sees Rex Dangervest (interestingly both voiced by Chris Pratt, per IMDB) and tries to exude his perception of tough guy masculinity.  It ends up not working so well and he has to adapt, etc. etc.  I'm not sure what other gender-norms will be challenged but that has been said to be a core thread of the movie.

I think they are omitting ALOT of the Friends scenes. If this is how Boys and Girls play differently, I can see the boy who would be 5 years older being a younger teen and I think the apocalyptic theme matches. The young girl would essentially be moving from Duplo to Friends line, but still likes playing with her brothers traditional Lego figures. A lot of the physical sets seem to reflect a more lively atmosphere in the Sisters imagination which is why we can see Unikitty gravitating toward it.

It would be clever to have a transposed trailer coming from the perspective of the Friends line.

Edited by CosmicSpeed
  • Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:47 AM, MusiKyle said:

3.jpg

Now there's a traditional LEGO house of the 70s or 80s. The arches around the windows and a couple other bits are more modern but all the same very nice.

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 1:26 PM, lobo1969 said:
On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:44 AM, vincevaughn said:

Love how they did a "classic" helmet mold on those.

I was thinking the same thing.

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:44 AM, MusiKyle said:

2.png

Oh my goodness, so how long before Hasbro gets up LEGO's rear end with all these My Little Pony esque designs. The build actually works though and I realized her name is a slur of "whatever I wanna be". Cute. Also clearly that banana is thinking.... it's peanut butter jelly time.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, MusiKyle said:

Noticed a bunch of 30528 in my Wal-Mart yesterday, Mini Master-Building MetalBeard 3-in-1 polybag.  Hadn't heard those mentioned before.  The Wal-Mart description is pretty funny "Recruitment Bag".  Also saw a new Christmas train polybag but that's for another thread.

Found a box of those in the clearance section for some reason. Full price, just randomly sitting there.

5 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

The Wizard of Oz figures are going to be desirable! The entire series has a lot of good figures. 

Yep, anyone who held onto 71221 or still has them might make some good $ since the Witch isn't included for this CMF. Interesting they combined Lego Movie and WoOz.

New Heart piece possibly for Tin man?

Actual Blue, Fake "Blue" for faux Chris Pratt character is interesting, might be desirable for collectors.

Inclusion of Unikitty is rather lame, would have liked to see the main Friends Character from the movie.

Edited by CosmicSpeed