10261 - Roller Coaster

Val-E

Another set for the horde and bottom feeders? No need to rush.

I think the only bottom line here is folks want to build and play.

I agree with Ex. I’m not seeing any investment discussion right now. I don’t anyone has said they’re hording it already. I just see a lot of excitement to build and play.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, exracer327 said:

Store manager told me LEGO is also adapting the boost to a Ninjago and a CITY set due out later this year.  I asked about using mindstorms but there isn't any codding from LEGO for mindstorms.  You'd have to do your own coding.  They have several pre-coded sequences for the boost.  You can program the boost to have the cars wait at the gate several seconds, then activate the motor.  Motor runs until the cars are going down from the top.  There are sounds effects for when the car is going up (like they're scared,) and for when they are going down (screaming and laughing).  There is also music that plays.  Makes me wonder if they're going to make sequences for the other rides.

The store manager also said they were having problems running the boost programming on ipads right now.  So if you can't find the coding, try using an iphone or droid to run it.

Good information.  I'm curious what Lego originally designed the Boost for?  The set itself is geared towards building robots and such and not as an accessory for other sets.  It's also expensive if you're only going to use the power functions and App.  My guess is that it hasn't sold well and because Lego has invested a lot of R&D into it they are trying to spin it off to be used with other products.  It's a great idea but they really need to think about just selling the Boost module itself as a stand alone product.

12 hours ago, Mathew said:

Good information.  I'm curious what Lego originally designed the Boost for?  The set itself is geared towards building robots and such and not as an accessory for other sets.  It's also expensive if you're only going to use the power functions and App.  My guess is that it hasn't sold well and because Lego has invested a lot of R&D into it they are trying to spin it off to be used with other products.  It's a great idea but they really need to think about just selling the Boost module itself as a stand alone product.

I suspect you might be right.  The manager also showed me two new alternate builds for the boost coming out very soon as well.

I had originally looked into Boost as an intro to robotics for my kids.  But at age 12 and 14, they 're really ready for mindstorm.  Both admitted that they would create things in Boost for a few hours and then probably never touch it again. 

But merging the boost with the roller coaster set brings up a whole new way to play with both sets.  It kind of opens up all kinds of stuff with the other themes as well.  It would be curious to know if this was their plan or they're adapting Boost because it didn't take off like they hoped it would.

Of course, $380 US for the coaster and another $150 US for Boost makes for a pretty expensive investment to create a roller coaster with life-like moves and sounds.   Add that to the $800 UCS MF and the rumored $500 UCS Bespin set and I see a trajectory for LEGO that kind of scares me.  Well, my wife more than me, but you know what I mean.

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, lazuli16 said:

I think the love is there. Space and money is probably the limiting factor. 

I really want to build the coaster but ugh $400... Easier for me to spend money on sets that will sit on a shelf than ones I will actually open and build. Eyeing my last sealed haunted house as one I can flip into a coaster. 

Perhaps that´s the issue - it´s a nice set but there are a limited number of people willing to actually own one and there are just so many other options out there.

Lego is probably in the same boat as Disney with Star Wars - too many similar big sets being released makes them less appealing so only the really exceptional ones are smash hits.

Space is key for me...and also knowing that I have probably 2 years to purchase this set. My home-space for Lego has some in-wall built shelves the previous homeowner created. Unfortunately, they just aren't tall enough to display the RC, FW or DC for that matter. I KNOW I will buy this, but why do I need to buy it right now?

Also, the build process looks to be probably the least fun of the 4 fairground sets. With the Carousel at least you have different riding animals and the Fairground Mixer is neat because everythign is compact and can be folded away. 

Ferris Wheel and RC seem to have a lot of repetition with structure parts and while the end structure is awesome, the "fun while building" just isn't what many people might be looking for.

Edited by CosmicSpeed

If I was such a devoted AFOL that I had a whole room (or cellar) in my house dedicated to LEGO I would most likely also want to add the Coaster to a fairground park. 

Alas, I don't have the space to display it. And the build process doesn't also look too appealing. So it's a pass for me.

1 hour ago, Quacs said:

‘My summer seasonal display - apologies on the lighting, and I haven’t placed the minifigures yet...

Awesome! How hard would it be to modify the cars of the coaster for a Minidoll (needing 3x2 peg space for the legs opposed to 2x2 sitting)? If you're familiar with the layout, do you think one could apply the layout from the Friends coaster cars on the new RC cars? Sorry for the specific request but if I get this in the future, my girls will ask this question for an upgrade.

Edited by CosmicSpeed

13 hours ago, CosmicSpeed said:

Awesome! How hard would it be to modify the cars of the coaster for a Minidoll (needing 3x2 peg space for the legs opposed to 2x2 sitting)? If you're familiar with the layout, do you think one could apply the layout from the Friends coaster cars on the new RC cars? Sorry for the specific request but if I get this in the future, my girls will ask this question for an upgrade.

I think the coaster cars can be modified to include a 3x2 seat rather than a 2x2 seat, but each car would not have a back.  Bricks can be added to the cars for decoration, but the coaster car base can’t change.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:57 AM, Quacs said:

‘My summer seasonal display - apologies on the lighting, and I haven’t placed the minifigures yet...

No surprise to the coaster's size ....but still, it is a big bugger isn't it. And I thought Helm's Deep took up a lot of desk space.