75192 - UCS: Millennium Falcon 2017

chinothegeeko

When will you buy your first 75192 UCS Falcon?  

447 members have voted

1. 1. When will you buy your first 75192 UCS Falcon?

• First day VIP early access purchase.
    • 2x VIP promo in October 2017.
    • Wait for discount of between 10%-19%.
    • Wait for discount between 20%-29%.
    • Wait for discount of at least 30%.
    • Wait until it shows solid signs of retiring.
    • No plans to buy this set.

Guest TabbyBoy

The Disney Rip-Off-Fee licence may go on for many years, can you imagine storing a huge MF box for 10+ risking damage and then having to compete with the offloading horde? The greedy will remember 10179 and could go crazy over this hence, it could be a good fiip if VIPs get early access and the set gets some exclusivity, but I doubt it. Booger Bricks will probably have their version out at the same time too.

I'm in for two, no more than that.

I am very happy to hear this will be an expensive set.  Anyone who choose not to sell their 10179 will likely be unhappy.  I mentioned in the bubble thread a long time ago that I felt Lego as a whole was fine ( in NA) but there were some bubbles out there like MF.  Any large remake or making of the rare pieces would pop it.

I hope the new one has some improvements over the last version.  I would happily take down the 10179 from my display and replace with better version.

Guest TabbyBoy
21 minutes ago, lego rules said:

I am very happy to hear this will be an expensive set.  Anyone who choose not to sell their 10179 will likely be unhappy.  I mentioned in the bubble thread a long time ago that I felt Lego as a whole was fine ( in NA) but there were some bubbles out there like MF.  Any large remake or making of the rare pieces would pop it.

I hope the new one has some improvements over the last version.  I would happily take down the 10179 from my display and replace with better version.

Serves them right, there's been plenty of warning!

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Darth_Raichu said:

LEGO investing is like an addiction, there is always something to pull you back in.  ;):drag:

Collecting? Yes!

Investing? It's game over, I'm done! The reason I want 2 is 1 to build and 1 to sell so that I have a free MF ;-)

1 hour ago, lego rules said:

Knowing TLG it will be 10179 with a few tweaks, an optional square radar dish, and alot of updated figs for $799.99 USD. Don't think they are in the position to be spending big bucks on a new design and gambling with such a high price point. Probably skimp on the box art too just like they did with the new Death Star. Still buyers will lap it up in the beginning and then it will sell moderately well when retailers put it on sale from time to time. Great show piece to try and get foot traffic back into their retail stores and signed up for a VIP card. Sad to see 10179 knocked off its perch. I guess Taj takes over now.

Guest TabbyBoy
11 minutes ago, Jeff Mack said:

You have achieved broken record status.  "Hey everyone, I am done, game over, no more investing for me, I'm not buying. Guess what, i am done, I sold everything, blah blah blah."  I love your knowledge of lego reselling, but lets get passed the "TabbyBoy is Over and Out" routine for a bit ok?

Thanks for the accolade, is there a badge for that? ;-)

22 hours ago, Rimmit said:

The irony is that is verbatim EXACTLY what everyone said when 10179 came out in 2007.

Yes, they did.  Many folks hated the $500 MSRP despite the then decent weight to price ratio even for a licensed set ($ .0043 cents per pound  - there were many technic and plates included)

Then for 3 years,  10179s  sat in retail warehouses and store shelves unsold in-between each 20% or more sale.   Amazon dropped the prices many times to move inventory.

IMG_0403.PNG

Even Lego had a decent amount left at the end. 2010’s May the 4th 25% off sale.

http://www.fbtb.net/2010/05/02/lego-shophome-may-3rd-4th-promotion/

Even today with the films, I think a $500+ UCS MF won't be a superstar seller after the initial demand based on recent expensive sets.  Plus Han Solo doesn't fly the Falcon anymore after TFA.  I don't know if the MF will remain the most popular ship in SW.

Heck, many parents and AFOLs hate spending $250 for a quality design.  This is a 100% luxury item.

• Like 3

That was almost 10 years ago and the market has changed so much since then. For me the 10179 was the same as the Megabloks SSE back in the day in terms of sales and discounts.

Now the whole AFOL and investing game has got into top gear with people paying 4 figure sumes for retired lego sets, 800 is by no means a prohibitive price as many many people are willing to pay that much and get scammed on the old one.

Making it 400-500 would increase sales a little but it´s still the premium market so they might as well milk it, what with the DS now at 500 and it couldn´t be cheaper if it was a real flagship.

1 hour ago, asharerin said:

Knowing TLG it will be 10179 with a few tweaks, an optional square radar dish, and alot of updated figs for $799.99 USD. Don't think they are in the position to be spending big bucks on a new design and gambling with such a high price point. Probably skimp on the box art too just like they did with the new Death Star. Still buyers will lap it up in the beginning and then it will sell moderately well when retailers put it on sale from time to time. Great show piece to try and get foot traffic back into their retail stores and signed up for a VIP card. Sad to see 10179 knocked off its perch. I guess Taj takes over now.

I hope not.  I either want something better which I will buy and replace 10179 or something worse which just means it will make some people happy who don't have a 10179 but also keep prices of the 10179 relatively high and no replacement is required.  The Snowspeeder kinda fell into that scenario IMO.  Some think the original is better while other think the new one is better.

If they want to make the vast majority happy, they will make a substandard model compared to 10179.  If they want to combat the fake version and directly or indirectly effect re-sellers, they will make a very comparable or better model.

Edited by lego rules

14 minutes ago, waddamon said:

I fear for Lego investing if this thing actually comes out.  Death knell.  I would sell the rumor if I had 10179.  Prices will drop like a rock. 

Unless 70% like Enterprise.  But that won't happen.

I´d argue that 75159 was much worse for Lego investing due to the number of people caught up and the (relative) lack of time to react. Anyone still clinging to a 10179 after all this time and the annual rumours should see a psychiatrist as the value plateaued some time ago.

• Like 1

Somewhere out there, there is a very sad soul, who purchased every single 10179 that they could find.

To those who would say "I'm happy, I don't have any, so It's a great thing for me" - No, it's not a great thing for anyone.

The total valuation loss of the held 10179's will pale in comparison to the overall loss of set values (and potential values) in general.

Edited by KShine
  • Like 2

What percentage of resellers are still holding the previous version with the intent to sell?  I would say it's probably so low that it's insignificant.  Prices on 10179 will certainly drop, but who really cares at this point?  Probably only the people who have paid thousands for it for their personal collection over the last few years or Bricklinked it at a high price.  I don't see how this effects the reseller market much at all honestly.  Val-E is right that 75159 was much more egregious due to the timing of it.

• Like 1

Yes, exactly. People have to know there is a time to buy and a time to sell and that growth is not infinite. Anyone who bought all they could find at RRP or below is probably still going to make more profit than on any other set from the last 3 years.

Anyone who paid double to 3 times RRP needs to sell now and anyone who paid more than that with intention to resell needs to read the bubble thread.

AFAIK the new version has not been confirmed nor are there any pics so there is still a 4 month or so window to do business, just not at anything above 2k USD if a quick sale is needed.